Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 841

Thread: UC Basketball

  1. #91
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Very nice, Cats.

    A little under halfway through the Big East schedule, and UC stands at .500 in THIS conference...

    I would have taken that and ran with it at the beginning of the season. Let's see what they can do with it

    As bad as they've looked at times this year, they've made progress.
    As a fan understanding what the program's been through, all I want to see is progress. It seemed like last year their progress stopped and took a step back late in the year. If they continue to make progress, that's fine with me.

    I think it's a worthy goal to sneak into the NCAA Tourney but I think it's a successful year if they make the NIT. That'll be progess from 2008

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have watched quite a bit of UC basketball this season and I have noticed something as of late. UC doesn't have that explosive player. They don't have that player who can explode off the floor for a huge dunk. They don't have the player who on a breakout can energize the fans by a big dunk. They don't have a player who will make a sportscenter top 10 type play.

    This is really the first UC team (excluding the Cronin Juco teams) that doesn't have a highlight type player in as long as I can remember. They don't seem to have a player who is quick off the ground. A player who has quick feet on defensive to get into the passing lanes. They don't have a player who can come from the weak side and block a basketball 10 rows into the stands. I have started watching a log of college basketball (other than UC and OSU) and have begun to notice the lack in explosiveness that plagues UC. Anyone else notice this?
    That player is Dion Dixon. He's already had a couple alley-oops this year, and he can get off the floor very well for a guard. He has the ability to throw it down very well. Athletically, I would compare him to a Dwyane Wade.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  4. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have watched quite a bit of UC basketball this season and I have noticed something as of late. UC doesn't have that explosive player. They don't have that player who can explode off the floor for a huge dunk. They don't have the player who on a breakout can energize the fans by a big dunk. They don't have a player who will make a sportscenter top 10 type play.

    This is really the first UC team (excluding the Cronin Juco teams) that doesn't have a highlight type player in as long as I can remember. They don't seem to have a player who is quick off the ground. A player who has quick feet on defensive to get into the passing lanes. They don't have a player who can come from the weak side and block a basketball 10 rows into the stands. I have started watching a log of college basketball (other than UC and OSU) and have begun to notice the lack in explosiveness that plagues UC. Anyone else notice this?
    If you're looking for a highlight type player that can throw it down UC definitely has one in Wilks. The guy can jump like James White. I'm afraid he's about 2 more years away from being a solid contributor though. I expect him to improve next year, but I expect big things from him as a senior.

    As far as blocking shots and throwing down power dunks Gates is getting to be that guy. Cronin has gotten after him about being a shot blocker and last game he blocked four, including a real nice block against Greg Monroe at the end of the game in crunch time.

  5. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: UC Basketball

    Big game for the Cats tomorrow. Every game in the Big East is big, but if we can steal this one on the road against Villanova that would be huge since we're expected to lose. This could give us quite a momentum boost as well. Hopefully Nova is prime for a letdown after their big win over Pitt.

  6. #95
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Big game for the Cats tomorrow. Every game in the Big East is big, but if we can steal this one on the road against Villanova that would be huge since we're expected to lose. This could give us quite a momentum boost as well. Hopefully Nova is prime for a letdown after their big win over Pitt.
    You're right. If we win tomorrow, I would venture to say that we would have a resume that would be worth for the tournament.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  7. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Colerain
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: UC Basketball

    Well as of right now, I think our resume is worthy of an NCAA bid. We have solid wins over UNLV, UAB, Miss State, and G-Town and we don't have a bad loss to speak of. It's not good to lose to Providence at home, but that is not a bad loss in my opinion. To be 14-7 and 4-4 in the best conference in America, I think that puts us in. But the season doesn't end today. Yes, todays matchup with Villanova is huge, if UC can win, they start to establish themselves as a true middle of the Big East team, which is a very good thing for a young team in this gauntlet. This win would be huge. Hopefully UC goes in tough, doesn't make many mistakes, plays great defence, and can score and not go into long scoring ruts. GO CATS.

  8. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Yes, todays matchup with Villanova is huge, if UC can win, they start to establish themselves as a true middle of the Big East team, which is a very good thing for a young team in this gauntlet. This win would be huge. Hopefully UC goes in tough, doesn't make many mistakes, plays great defence, and can score and not go into long scoring ruts. GO CATS.
    It's not looking good for today. Currently UC sits at ninth in the Big East standings with the Big East likely getting nine teams into the tourney. The Notre Dame game will be huge to generate seperation between them and another Big East bubble team. With UC having the more difficult stretch of games this month than Notre Dame and Georgetown the head-to-head match ups will be very important. Beat both of those teams (G'town for the second time) and you're probably in. Lose and you're out.

  9. #98
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: UC Basketball

    There must be some problem with the boxscore, because this can't be right. Did Mike Williams really play 36 minutes and score the same amount of points as a dead man? Zero? He did get credit, however, for two whole rebounds. You would think that in 36 minutes on the court that two rebounds would randomally bounce his way. So, basically, Mike Williams did nothing today.

  10. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: UC Basketball

    Sure would've been nice to win today, but it turned out as expected. Villanova is ranked #21 and hasn't lost at home in three years, which is very tough to do in the Big East. The Notre Dame game is huge, wish it wasn't at US Bank.

  11. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Colerain
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: UC Basketball

    Beat Notre Dame, and were still alive, lose, and it's probably NIT time.

  12. #101
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,296

    Re: UC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Sure would've been nice to win today, but it turned out as expected. Villanova is ranked #21 and hasn't lost at home in three years, which is very tough to do in the Big East. The Notre Dame game is huge, wish it wasn't at US Bank.
    Turned out awful. UC had a 7 point lead shortly before half. Instead of going into half up they went in down by a point. From the time when they got the 7 point lead Nova completely beat the you know what out of them. UC didn't have an answer as to how to beat their press, how to get the ball inside, how to get dribble penetration, how to get anything out of their big men. It was a shame and almost embarrassing to watch the second half as a fan.

    The Nova game was a chance for UC to garner top 25 votes as well as jump into the talk for a NCAA bid. Combine a Nova win with a ND win (ND is fading fast) and UC would be firmly into the NCAA field. Thats the shame of the matter with their effort in the second half. UC will have their hands full with McAlarney and Harrangody for ND. They will struggle to defend Harrangody and UC has shown the inability to guard anyone from 3.

  13. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: UC Basketball

    Yet another big one tonight. We cannot afford to lose to other fringe teams like ND. Unfortunately we've already dropped two to Providence, which will likely place them squarely ahead of us. I don't want to get too into the NCAA talk since I really don't think we will be there for one, and I still consider the NIT a success this year after only winning 13 games last year and having such a young team. Anyways, sure would be nice to beat the Irish.

  14. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: UC Basketball

    Up by 5 in the second half right now. Let's do this Cats!

  15. #104
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: UC Basketball

    UC's on a second half tear right now up by 11 and Toyloy's at the line shooting one.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  16. #105
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: UC Basketball

    UC up 14 with 8:14 to go.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25