Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

19 maybe

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

They won last night, but you have to keep it in context. Depaul is horrible, and the worst team in the league. This UC team is the worst free throw shooting team I can ever remember in UC history. It's truly embarassing.

I think they get destroyed in the next 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    UC shot a sickening 14-31 from the charity stripe and 0-9 from the three-point line.
    You know, these guys are NCAA Div. 1 athletes playing at a fairly high level program. Is this really all the better they can do?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    You know, these guys are NCAA Div. 1 athletes playing at a fairly high level program. Is this really all the better they can do?

There is no excuse for this bad of free throw shooting for this level of competition. Honestly there is only one place you can point to for the bad free throw shooting and that is Mick. You can't consider it a funk if it lasts a full season. Its just terrible.

UC holds it destiny in its hands, but they have a very tough road into the NCAA tourney. One win puts you on the fringe and two gives you some breathing room. Not only are these games big for the NCAA tourney, but they still have a shot at a first round bye in the BE if they finish in the top 8. We'll see how it all plays out, but its definately crunch time for the Cats.

14-32 by the way..don't give em too much credit.

In today's issue of Sporting News Today there is a story written by Mike DeCourcy about the possible parallels of Purdue's Robbie Hummel injury and Kenyon Martin's injury in 99-00. He makes some interesting points about the ripple effect Martin's injury may have had across the country. The most interesting thought though links Martin's injury to Huggins' dismissal. The point is if Martin doesn't get injured and UC makes a deep run into the tourney, does Huggins get fired?

I'd say it would've been harder, but the board was pretty determined to get him out of UC. I don't think that year alone would've save Huggins' job at UC. I know that it doesn't help the current situation to think about what if, but it is interesting to think how much of a different course UC could be on right now if not for that one freak injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I'd say it would've been harder, but the board was pretty determined to get him out of UC. I don't think that year alone would've save Huggins' job at UC. I know that it doesn't help the current situation to think about what if, but it is interesting to think how much of a different course UC could be on right now if not for that one freak injury.
    I think if that team won the championship, and they were the odds-on favorite all season, Huggins would still be at UC.

That UC team was a lot better than this Purdue team.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That UC team was a lot better than this Purdue team.
    This. UC was the clear #1 team during the regular season, and Martin was the National Player of the Year. Purdue is a good team and were looking at the third or fourth 1-seed. Also, UC didn't have a chance to regroup since the Martin injury occurred in the C-USA tourney and UC lost the game. Purdue still has a few weeks to regroup.

The only parallel in college basketball today that could rival what UC experienced in 2000 would be if Kentucky lost John Wall in the SEC tourney. John Wall >> Robbie Hummel, and that's not a knock on Hummel.

K-Mart breaking his ankle is the ultimate "what-if" for UC fans.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This. UC was the clear #1 team during the regular season, and Martin was the National Player of the Year. Purdue is a good team and were looking at the third or fourth 1-seed. Also, UC didn't have a chance to regroup since the Martin injury occurred in the C-USA tourney and UC lost the game. Purdue still has a few weeks to regroup.

The only parallel in college basketball today that could rival what UC experienced in 2000 would be if Kentucky lost John Wall in the SEC tourney. John Wall >> Robbie Hummel, and that's not a knock on Hummel.

K-Mart breaking his ankle is the ultimate "what-if" for UC fans.

This is all true. The whole parallel thing isn't the part of the story that I found interesting though. I just though it is an interesting what-if for UC fans and not only for that season, but ramifications for the next decade plus that event would have.

There are a couple reasons I don't think Huggs would be here if that injury didn't happen. First one is that there is no certainty that UC would go on to win a National Chapionship or even make it to the final four. They were a great team for sure though. The second reason is Huggins was still putting very good teams on the court year after year. Its not like UC was caught in a trend of mediocrity and fans weren't showing up to games. Success on the court was not a factor in firing Bob Huggins IMO. There was a lot more to that situation than just the reputation Huggins was bringing to UC through the players he recruited also.

Of course its just my opinion and there is no way to prove it right or wrong. I can definately see the other side of the argument being just a plausible as mine.

The reality is UC is stuck in a pretty tough place, but that position can get better with a win tonight and another win in the final two games. I don't want to get this tread off topic, I just thought it would be an interesting bit for discussion while waiting for todays game.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    This is all true. The whole parallel thing isn't the part of the story that I found interesting though. I just though it is an interesting what-if for UC fans and not only for that season, but ramifications for the next decade plus that event would have.

There are a couple reasons I don't think Huggs would be here if that injury didn't happen. First one is that there is no certainty that UC would go on to win a National Chapionship or even make it to the final four. They were a great team for sure though. The second reason is Huggins was still putting very good teams on the court year after year. Its not like UC was caught in a trend of mediocrity and fans weren't showing up to games. Success on the court was not a factor in firing Bob Huggins IMO. There was a lot more to that situation than just the reputation Huggins was bringing to UC through the players he recruited also.

Of course its just my opinion and there is no way to prove it right or wrong. I can definately see the other side of the argument being just a plausible as mine.

The reality is UC is stuck in a pretty tough place, but that position can get better with a win tonight and another win in the final two games. I don't want to get this tread off topic, I just thought it would be an interesting bit for discussion while waiting for todays game.
    It would take nothing short of devine intervention for UC to keep up with Nova, IMO. They are a VERY good team, possible final 4 team, IMO. We can't score, and Nova has guards that will probably light us up like a christmas tree. I don't think the odds against WVU or G'Town are much better.

I don't know if Bob would have been here or not, depening on what happened in 2000, but I think everyone can agree that Zimpher pulled off her power play at the worst possible time UC basketball, and handled it in the worst manner possible.

Right now, UC is going to have a tough road to compete in the Big East. Something like 25% of the league has a HOF coach, or one who will be at somepoint. Calhoun, Pitino and Boehiem have all won at least one national title. That doesn't even include Huggs with 500+ career wins, and guys like Jay Wright who has made himself into an elite coach.

This game has the look of a second half meltdown.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bearcats showing their mettle today leading 48-42 with about 16 minutes left in the 2nd half. Go Cats!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bearcats showing their mettle today leading 48-42 with about 16 minutes left in the 2nd half. Go Cats!
    Refs are doing everything they can to put WVU into this game. More than a 2:1 disparity in the foul calling. 6 team fouls on WVU, 15 on UC.

59-58 Mountaineers at the 8 minute mark. Gates with zero rebounds according to CNNSI.

Turn Off Ads?