Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marshall hires Doc Holliday

Marshall hires Doc Holliday

I'm far from a WVU fan, but on top of a former player passing away today, this one has to hurt. I think most Mountaineer fans would have rather seen Bill Stewart leave for Huntington rather than Holliday, and there could be some assistants packing as well. I consider Marshall my second team in college football, so I am really happy with this hire.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=ap&type=lgns

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP)—Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick says West Virginia assistant John “Doc” Holliday has signed a five-year contract to coach the Thundering Herd.

Hamrick says Holliday will be paid $600,000 per season. The school has scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. Thursday to introduce Holliday.

Holliday replaces Mark Snyder, who resigned Nov. 29 after going 22-37 in five seasons.

It’s the first head coaching job for the 52-year-old Holliday after three decades as an assistant, most of them with the Mountaineers. He has the task of restoring respectability to a program that hasn’t had a winning season since 2003.

Defensive coordinator Rick Minter will coach Marshall (6-6) in the Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marshall hires Doc Holliday

Seems like a good hire for Marshall. I'd love to see them get back to where they were before Pruett retired.

Just noted the part about Rick Minter. UC's coaches and former coaches are all over the news these days.

Retired

I don't know why WVU fans hate Stew so much. It's not like he's been horrible, he's 19-7 in three years there, that is a 73% winning %.

As a UC fan, we sure know how it feels to be lied to now, just like RichRod did, but it seems like a lot of the hate for Stewart is simply because he isn't RichRod.

I thought he died way back when from tuberculous

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't know why WVU fans hate Stew so much. It's not like he's been horrible, he's 19-7 in three years there, that is a 73% winning %.

As a UC fan, we sure know how it feels to be lied to now, just like RichRod did, but it seems like a lot of the hate for Stewart is simply because he isn't RichRod.
    I've always made the comparison of Bill Stewart to Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Followed a coach that the fans absolutely loved, did a good job with what he had, but never lived up to expectations. When you were going to BCS bowls with Rich Rodriguez and playing in the Fiesta and Sugar Bowl and are having to settle for the Meineke Car Care Bowl and the Gator Bowl under Stewart, people start to notice. A 73% winning percentage is nice, but if you aren't making final fours or BCS bowl games, fans get frustrated.

Also doesn't help that most fans thought WVU jumped the gun in hiring Stewart just based on the bowl win against Oklahoma. Most fans wanted either Doc Holliday or Terry Bowden.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Watch the way the team plays. We play down to the competition (more on this later). The offense has been offensive since Rich left. The guy Stew hired to be OC was at a school that was near bottom of NCAA D1 when he was OC there (Wake Forest), they make just shear STUPID mistakes over and over and over again, we see something working and go away from it (our RBs during the UC game for example).

Now down to the earlier point "we play down to our competition".

Liberty yes they arent your usual cupcake D2 team winning the big south. But a BCS team to win only by 13? We got up 23-10 and sat on it.

Marshall= They dominated for most of the first 3 quarters before running out of gas, if not for the fact they run out of gas we likely lose that game.

UConn= With everything that happened to them that previous week it shouldnt take a 56 yd miracle to win a game. We let them hang around.

Louisville= Without our defense line being absolutely dominating we I guarentee LOSE this game. They are a 4-8 team that throttled our o.

Auburn= Jarrett Brown has his worst game of the year and Noel Devine runs for 128 yds on only 15 carries... 4th quarter 12 minutes to go and he throws 4 INTs there was still plenty of time that we didnt have to abandon the run.

Special Teams was given a whole new meaning. CONSTANTLY pinning our defense in a corner giving the opposing offense great starting position. I would turn the game off on any sort of kickoff by WVU out of thought for my blood pressure.

Stewart cannot be questioned by anyone about anything, he is out of his element, he is over his head, and he has had great recruiters and athletes who have been able to win inspite of him and the offense coaches. If that defensive staff losses much more in the way of coaches then that buffer will be gone.

First it is Doc, rumors are there that Castillo could be on his way to Florida State to join up with a former WVU assistant Jimbo Fischer. I may not be a fan of the 3-3-5 but that defense is the ONLY reason we made it to the Gator Bowl, with the team we have we should not have to rely on nailbiters to beat Louisville, Marshall, and UConn's of the world. We shouldnt have to speak of moral victories or we should have won 17-16 and we got screwed in games such as Cincy, we shouldnt have to hear about "golly gee darn that Pauxatony School for the Blind are this great team that we will be lucky to squeak out any victory against." We (WVU fans) have seen this song and dance before it was the last decade of the Don Nehlen era the only difference is Stu uses the shotgun rather than the I formation.

And I for one have tasted what its like to be like Ohio State, like Michigan, like Florida and I want more. I dont want to go back to being lucky to win 9 games and feasting on MAC cupcakes. Stu with time will be no different than Nehlen eventually the great recruits will dry up and he will be exposed as the emperor without any clothes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Watch the way the team plays. We play down to the competition (more on this later). The offense has been offensive since Rich left. The guy Stew hired to be OC was at a school that was near bottom of NCAA D1 when he was OC there (Wake Forest), they make just shear STUPID mistakes over and over and over again, we see something working and go away from it (our RBs during the UC game for example).

Now down to the earlier point "we play down to our competition".

Liberty yes they arent your usual cupcake D2 team winning the big south. But a BCS team to win only by 13? We got up 23-10 and sat on it.

Marshall= They dominated for most of the first 3 quarters before running out of gas, if not for the fact they run out of gas we likely lose that game.

UConn= With everything that happened to them that previous week it shouldnt take a 56 yd miracle to win a game. We let them hang around.

Louisville= Without our defense line being absolutely dominating we I guarentee LOSE this game. They are a 4-8 team that throttled our o.

Auburn= Jarrett Brown has his worst game of the year and Noel Devine runs for 128 yds on only 15 carries... 4th quarter 12 minutes to go and he throws 4 INTs there was still plenty of time that we didnt have to abandon the run.

Special Teams was given a whole new meaning. CONSTANTLY pinning our defense in a corner giving the opposing offense great starting position. I would turn the game off on any sort of kickoff by WVU out of thought for my blood pressure.

Stewart cannot be questioned by anyone about anything, he is out of his element, he is over his head, and he has had great recruiters and athletes who have been able to win inspite of him and the offense coaches. If that defensive staff losses much more in the way of coaches then that buffer will be gone.

First it is Doc, rumors are there that Castillo could be on his way to Florida State to join up with a former WVU assistant Jimbo Fischer. I may not be a fan of the 3-3-5 but that defense is the ONLY reason we made it to the Gator Bowl, with the team we have we should not have to rely on nailbiters to beat Louisville, Marshall, and UConn's of the world. We shouldnt have to speak of moral victories or we should have won 17-16 and we got screwed in games such as Cincy, we shouldnt have to hear about "golly gee darn that Pauxatony School for the Blind are this great team that we will be lucky to squeak out any victory against." We (WVU fans) have seen this song and dance before it was the last decade of the Don Nehlen era the only difference is Stu uses the shotgun rather than the I formation.

And I for one have tasted what its like to be like Ohio State, like Michigan, like Florida and I want more. I dont want to go back to being lucky to win 9 games and feasting on MAC cupcakes. Stu with time will be no different than Nehlen eventually the great recruits will dry up and he will be exposed as the emperor without any clothes on.
    I just replied before you did but this completely sums up why people are down on Stewart. WVU has been in decline since Rodriguez left. People here want to point and laugh at Rod in Michigan, but they haven't exactly picked up where they left off.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I just replied before you did but this completely sums up why people are down on Stewart. WVU has been in decline since Rodriguez left. People here want to point and laugh at Rod in Michigan, but they haven't exactly picked up where they left off.
    I'm not saying I would take Rich back after the way he left. But we need a legitimate division 1 football coach not a guy who will be the puppet like Nehlen was in his later years. The big difference between WVU and Michigan... support. He always had the unquestioned support of the administration and boosters at WVU irregardless until the very end, remember he went 3-8 his first year with a loss to F'ing Temple!1!1!

The administration let him bring in "his guys", let the players go who didnt feel they fit RR system, etc. He never had that at Michigan and opposing coaches have used that against him. Granted he made a lot of his own problems with the way he tried to weasel out of the buyout and the burned bridges as he left town.

And honestly I would rather bring Nehlen back than go another season with Stu.
    Last edited by Slyder; 12-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

word is "he'll be their huckleberry."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I feel awful for those poor WV fans who had to "endure" the 9-3 season that was a 3-point loss against the #3 team in the country away from ending in a BCS bowl. I'm not sure how you guys are getting by.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I feel awful for those poor WV fans who had to "endure" the 9-3 season that was a 3-point loss against the #3 team in the country away from ending in a BCS bowl. I'm not sure how you guys are getting by.
    Watch the games and you'll see why were lucky to only be 9-3.

William Arthur Ward

As a Louisville fan, I can tell you that I have no sympathy for fans from the No. 16 team in the country and their "problem" coaches.

I'm a Herd fan who is thrilled with the hire. A lot of my fellow alums are upset because he is blue and gold through and through, but I couldn't care less. Doc is a great coach and an even better recruiter. He will turn things around in Huntington quickly...his players will run through brick walls for him.

That, and he is bringing Beatty and Dunlap with him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm a Herd fan who is thrilled with the hire. A lot of my fellow alums are upset because he is blue and gold through and through, but I couldn't care less. Doc is a great coach and an even better recruiter. He will turn things around in Huntington quickly...his players will run through brick walls for him.

That, and he is bringing Beatty and Dunlap with him.
    I see Holliday as a stepping stone coach. If Stewart is gone within the next three years and Marshall is thriving by that time, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Morgantown.

People are saying Holliday is peeved because the WVU job went to Stewart and not him, but Holliday was at Florida and decided to come on board when Stewart was hired. That excuse holds as much merit as Rodriguez throwing the Pitt game.

Hope that is true about Beatty and Dunlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    As a Louisville fan, I can tell you that I have no sympathy for fans from the No. 16 team in the country and their "problem" coaches.
    Think about how Louisville fell after Steve Kragthorpe took over. I wouldn't say WVU's fall from grace is near as traumatic as Louisville's, but going to the Orange Bowl, losing your head coach, and then watching your team fade to mediocrity and ultimately crash. WVU isn't at that level yet but I think it ultimately will.

Turn Off Ads?