Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

That's great they're on the bubble for a tournament bid. A month ago they were ready to run Mick out of town and it looked like UC was going to get buried in the Big East. No one thought they'd be winning OT games like this And coming back from 10 pt deficits time and time again. I thought they were sunk when they fell behind 12 points well into the 2nd half. Whereas teams like ND and yesterday's opponent are falling, UC is improving. Kudos to UC and Mick for that.

I don't think their tournament ticket will be sealed until after the Big East Tournament. I think they'll need to do something there. Even if they fall short of the NCAA, they still can accomplish some things. Going over .500 in the toughest conference in basketball is something. The experience of competing in the NIT would help the program as well. The mental hurdle of thinking they can play in the Big East is huge.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If UC beats St. Johns, South Florida, Seton Hall and West Virginia at home, they are a lock IMO. UC can beat Louisville and Syracuse too. We'll see. I say they end up 21-10 going into the Big East Tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If UC beats St. Johns, South Florida, Seton Hall and West Virginia at home, they are a lock IMO. UC can beat Louisville and Syracuse too. We'll see. I say they end up 21-10 going into the Big East Tourney.
    I think they need one more win in the BEast tourney. I actually think this St. Johns game is a very critical game. They are back into the NCAA tourney discussion and coming off a big time win. They return home and should beat St. Johns handily. However this could be your classic overlook game.

They should beat St Johns, S Florida (who just beat Marquette), and Seton Hall. The WVU game will be more difficult. I watched them beat a good OSU team and dominate the entire game. If UC holds serve and wins a game in the BEast tourney they should punch their ticket to the Big Dance.

St Johns just gave UL a whale of a game at Freedom Hall even though the final score doesn't show it. I don't see any gimmes here but at least UC has a shot. I see them with 19 wins heading into the Big East Tourney

Regarding the tourney, there are a couple other outside things that can help UC's chances if they happen, namely:
    • Xavier winning the Atlantic 10 conference tournament. If Xavier is bounced out, root for Dayton.
    • Memphis winning the CUSA conference tournament. If Memphis is bounced out, root for UAB.
    • Gonzaga winning the West Coast conference Tournament. If Gonzaga is bounced out, the at-large field may lose a bid (St. Mary's is the 2nd best WCC team, and they're a bubble team).
    • Butler winning the Horizon League conference tournament. If Butler is knocked out, the at-large field will lose a bid, I'm sure. I don't see any other team other than Butler receiving an at-large from the Horizon League.
    • Utah State must win the WAC conference tournament. If they're upset, the at-large field will lose a bid.
    • Siena needs to win the Metro Atlantic Athletic conference tournament. They currently have a 28 RPI so there is some possibility they could swipe an at-large bid.
    • The Missouri Valley Conference may only get one bid regardless of who wins their conference tournament, but right now I'm rooting for Illinois State (RPI 52).
    • Davidson must win the Southern conference tournament, otherwise another at-large bid likely disappears.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    St Johns just gave UL a whale of a game at Freedom Hall even though the final score doesn't show it. I don't see any gimmes here but at least UC has a shot. I see them with 19 wins heading into the Big East Tourney
    The game was at Madison Square Garden where Louisville always struggles with their shot.

I know you guys are confident and that UC has developed into a good team but there is little chance that they beat Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The game was at Madison Square Garden where Louisville always struggles with their shot.

I know you guys are confident and that UC has developed into a good team but there is little chance that they beat Louisville.

But..... You're sayin there IS a chance.

I don't think most UC fans expect UC to beat UofL. I think the thought is that it would be a very nice win if they can pull it off. Its possible, but it will take a very good game from UC and a pretty crappy one for UofL. Still, I don't think its a game where UofL just walks in and wins by 20. They will have to fight pretty hard to get out of the Shoe with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    But..... You're sayin there IS a chance.

I don't think most UC fans expect UC to beat UofL. I think the thought is that it would be a very nice win if they can pull it off. Its possible, but it will take a very good game from UC and a pretty crappy one for UofL. Still, I don't think its a game where UofL just walks in and wins by 20. They will have to fight pretty hard to get out of the Shoe with a win.
    I'll add that Cincy should be wary of St. Johns. They're not a very high-scoring team but they played extremely tough defense agaisnt Louisville. They effectively shut down Terrence Williams, something even UConn couldn't do.

I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before UC won at Freedom Hall.

Honestly, I'm not expecting UC to beat Louisville, but it wouldn't exactly be the upset of the year or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before UC won at Freedom Hall.

Honestly, I'm not expecting UC to beat Louisville, but it wouldn't exactly be the upset of the year or anything.
    Not the same basketball team last year and that was during their early-year swoon that seems to occur yearly. And no I didn't think the same thing last year. Although I didn't think UC was very good I also didn't think UofL was very good at the time.

The only team who has been able to get going against this defense was UConn. Pitt, Syracuse, and Villanova couldn't do it and I don't think UC has the athletes to do it either. This is not a great offensive team but the defense comes to play every game.

While it wouldn't be the upset of the year, I would place UC beating UofL on the same scale as USF beating Marquette. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I'm much more worried about Notre Dame than anyone else the rest of the year. Since UofL kicked off their losing streak they'll have added motivation to end it when Louisville visits. And any team with Harangody and McAlarney is scary.
    Last edited by joshnky; 02-09-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Not the same basketball team last year and that was during their early-year swoon that seems to occur yearly. And no I didn't think the same thing last year. Although I didn't think UC was very good I also didn't think UofL was very good at the time.

The only team who has been able to get going against this defense was UConn. Pitt, Syracuse, and Villanova couldn't do it and I don't think UC has the athletes to do it either. This is not a great offensive team but the defense comes to play every game.

While it wouldn't be the upset of the year, I would place UC beating UofL on the same scale as USF beating Marquette. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I'm much more worried about Notre Dame than anyone else the rest of the year. Since UofL kicked off their losing streak they'll have added motivation to end it when Louisville visits. And any team with Harangody and McAlarney is scary.
    So last year you expected the worst UC team in decades at 5-7 to win at Louisville when they were 9-3 heading into Big East play?

I think you're looking through the Louisville glasses a little too much. Last year's Louisville team wasn't as good as this year's, but last year's UC team was MUCH worse than this years team. UC won 13 games all of last season. They're at 16 right now with 7 left to play. UC beat the Notre Dame team that you're worried about by ten points.

And saying that a UC win at UC would be comparable to USF over Marquette, give me a break man. USF had zero wins that were even close to being quality wins going into that game, and they had a record of 7-14. Marquette was 20-2 and 9-0 in the Big East. UC is 16-8 and 6-5 with quality wins over UNLV, UAB, Georgetown twice, and Notre Dame. That isn't even comparable.

I don't expect UC to win this game. There's no doubt Louisville will be the favorite, but I would not be too surprised if UC wins, this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    So last year you expected the worst UC team in decades at 5-7 to win at Louisville when they were 9-3 heading into Big East play?

I think you're looking through the Louisville glasses a little too much. Last year's Louisville team wasn't as good as this year's, but last year's UC team was MUCH worse than this years team. UC won 13 games all of last season. They're at 16 right now with 7 left to play. UC beat the Notre Dame team that you're worried about by ten points.

And saying that a UC win at UC would be comparable to USF over Marquette, give me a break man. USF had zero wins that were even close to being quality wins going into that game, and they had a record of 7-14. Marquette was 20-2 and 9-0 in the Big East. UC is 16-8 and 6-5 with quality wins over UNLV, UAB, Georgetown twice, and Notre Dame. That isn't even comparable.

I don't expect UC to win this game. There's no doubt Louisville will be the favorite, but I would not be too surprised if UC wins, this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.
    Well said.

I don't expect UC to win the game, but for your sake, I hope Pitino and the Cards are taking the UC game much more seriously than you seem to be. UC can hang with anybody down in Clifton. If they play well and shots fall, the game's going to be very interesting.

Meanwhile, Pitt knocked off West Virginia tonight so UC is now a full game ahead of the Mountaineers who are now 5-6. I'm looking at a possible 6 or 7 seed in the Big East tourney if UC can take care of necessary business and put up 10 Big East wins.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

The Shoe will return to it's old self on February 21st. It will not be easy for the Cards, and UC will have that extra energy with the crowd and the thought of this win putting them very close if not in the tourney. Don't underestimate these Cats. They played Uconn great at the Shoe. But again, UC's big time home court advantage returns on February 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.
    Sorry, but this hasn't been a rivalry game since Huggins left. Most Louisville fans now consider Pitt and West Virginia to be bigger rivals.

It doesn't really matter. As you said UofL will likely be the favorite and should win. And regardless of how they're playing an underachieving Notre Dame team with the reigning Big East player of the year and top 25 talent is always going to worry me.

Turn Off Ads?