Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Yeah Bob Knight is spectacular. He's the only announcer who I honestly feel like I am a smarter basketball fan after having watched/heard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Miami (FL) beat Virginia tonight, but Arizona lost at Washington State. Coming into tonight I thought the Wildcats had a bit of breathing room inside the bubble, but that's not the case anymore. Anytime you drop a game to a team with a 105 RPI, it's going to hurt badly.

The one game that's hurting right now is Michigan beating Purdue. This looks like it's going to be the second time in about a week that one of the "better" Big Ten teams is failing to beat one of the middle-of-the-road Big Ten teams that's on the bubble (the Illinois loss to Penn State last week was disappointing).
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Yeah Bob Knight is spectacular. He's the only announcer who I honestly feel like I am a smarter basketball fan after having watched/heard.
    I remember Bobby Knight telling a reporter that he thought the profession was a 'step above prostitution.' Gotta love the General
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-27-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Exciting win, but not very pretty. UC's free throw shooting was atrocious and those kids that got technicals would be running the steps from now till Sunday if I were coach. Gates plays a big game and shows what he's capable of. UC finally figured out that 1-3-1 zone (a Huggins team plays zone?). And I thought Huggins looked terrible.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Musberger is beyond awful. It doesn't matter what he's calling; he's terrible at it.

On the other hand, Bob Knight was outstanding calling the game tonight. I can't remember the last time an analyst was calling screens, cuts, passes and identifying ball movements just about right as the action was occurring. He's telling viewers the good decisions, the bad decisions and then properly explaining why. He really breaks the game down very, very nicely for the viewer, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Additionally, he's giving his very honest opinion of how well the teams were playing too, and it was refreshing to hear.

Heck, if I have to say, Bob Knight's probably the best color commentator in NCAA hoops. I hope he's picked up for the NCAA tourney.
    I actually love Musberger and Knight together. They work very well together. I loved when Knight said that the best play in the Keith Smart jumper was the pass.

I had only one issue with the game. Cronin is an idiot for getting the T when Vaughn traveled/was pushed. But with less than 2 minutes a game the ref should not call a T on any player unless something is done flagrant. An official who is paid to referee 18-22 year olds needs to turn his back and ignore anything a player says during a competitive game down the wire. Absolutely unacceptable officiating by the baseline official to call the T on Davis. Im sorry but as a fan I would have been pissed had a T been called on a WVU player in that same situation. Let the players decide the game not an official with rabbit ears!

I found this online earlier and couldn't think of a better place for it.

PS: I am not a WVU fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I actually love Musberger and Knight together. They work very well together. I loved when Knight said that the best play in the Keith Smart jumper was the pass.

I had only one issue with the game. Cronin is an idiot for getting the T when Vaughn traveled/was pushed. But with less than 2 minutes a game the ref should not call a T on any player unless something is done flagrant. An official who is paid to referee 18-22 year olds needs to turn his back and ignore anything a player says during a competitive game down the wire. Absolutely unacceptable officiating by the baseline official to call the T on Davis. Im sorry but as a fan I would have been pissed had a T been called on a WVU player in that same situation. Let the players decide the game not an official with rabbit ears!
    Nope, players need to be held accountable. You have no idea what he said to the ref. Players need to be smart enough not to run their mouth with 2 minutes left and the game in the balance, not expect a referee to let them get away with directing profanity towards them just because the game is close.

Nope, players need to be held accountable. You have no idea what he said to the ref. Players need to be smart enough not to run their mouth with 2 minutes left and the game in the balance, not expect a referee to let them get away with directing profanity towards them just because the game is close.
    I agree completely. Young players need to learn a little self control and composure.

Ironic that you like him and I don't.

Now I haven't heard him on actual games, but in the studio, he's always seemed pretty blase to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Ironic that you like him and I don't.

Now I haven't heard him on actual games, but in the studio, he's always seemed pretty blase to me.
    The way he talks is very bland, but the things he says trump any TV analyst on ESPN.

UC's RPI is now 50 once again, and their SOS is now 22. Both Palm and Lunardi still have UC on the outside of the NCAA tourney despite last night's victory over West Virginia, and that's a little disappointing.

I thought UC would still have a decent shot at the tourney even if they would lose at Syracuse, but now it's looking more and more like UC's going to have to win in Syracuse. If they lose to the Orange, they might be stuck in a situation where they've got to make a run to the Big East semis, and that's a very tough proposition.

A big part of weather UC gets in or not depends on what other teams do, if some teams fall off the bubble here soon, we can get in with a loss at Syracuse. Other teams are hoping we fall off the bubble soon. UC needs all the favorites in their conference tourneys to win it, Memphis, Xavier, Gonzaga.. ETC. UC can get in with a loss at Cuse but they would then need to win a game, maybe two games in the Big East Tournament.
    My best advise to any UC fan, including myself is to not look at all these Bracketology things. Just watch your favorite team play basketball and we'll see exactly where we stand on Selection Sunday. I do like our chances in the Carrier Dome. But at worst, UC plays in the NIT, thats far from a failure from this bunch, I'll have fun going to the Shoe and watching them play some different teams. I obviously want the NCAA's though.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Ok this is going to be off-topic, but I was listening to Pdoc reminisce about former UC players on the radio last night and I began to wonder if James White was still playing ball. I always thought he might have been able to make it in the NBA as a role player who could guard 3's, anyhow just curious if anybody knows if he is still playing
    Yeah, he won the D-League Dunk Competition a few weeks back. Check out his dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU

I think he was really flying.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Yeah, he won the D-League Dunk Competition a few weeks back. Check out his dunk:
    I'll never forget at Midnight Madness about five years ago or so when White took off from just inside the foul line and dunked ...

... he only went between the legs with the ball while in the air.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Last night was about as perfect of a night that could have transpired.

The fans, the players, and the University, deserve all the credit.

Some needed closure. If last night didn't do it, nothing will.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-27-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?