Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I don't even know why I'm posting in this board--I was just curious. That said, Bobby Huggins is one of the three or four best coaches in America. If there was any justice, and had not home called him back, he'd still be at UC and in the tournament every year. He came to WVU with a team that can be best described as a junkball team. They had success, but not in the conference. They couldn't rebound and they couldn't play defense. That great man who works with fakes and mirrors, John Beilein, recruited shooters with the philosophy that if you shoot enough 3-pointers you win. It failed him and will time and time again. Huggs came in and took these players and made them into a basketball team. Few individuals could do that.

Yes, he is flawed and yes, he is bland, but the "celebration" afftected him and the team. The talented youngsters failed him, but will not in the future. UC's future is bright, but do not discount the the brilliance of my friend, Huggs. He took a team who shouldn't have won 15 games to the Sweet 16 last year and will be a good seen in the tournament this year with a lesser team.

I wish UC well and wish UC fans the best.
    Nice post. I am still a Huggs fan, and think he is a great coach. At UC he always got a ton out of his players, and even though he may have some personal issues, the guy is one heck of a good ball coach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Nice post. I am still a Huggs fan, and think he is a great coach. At UC he always got a ton out of his players, and even though he may have some personal issues, the guy is one heck of a good ball coach.
    Agreed. Although it did seem like he started loosing his "magic touch" the last couple of years at UC. For a while, nobody got more out of less than Huggs.

He's going to have some more serious health issues if he doesn't start dropping weight. He's really ballooned the last 2-3 years and looks terrible.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What a craptastic way to end the season.

They couldn't handle the pressure of being a bubble team.

Seton Hall 67 UC 63

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    What a craptastic way to end the season.

They couldn't handle the pressure of being a bubble team.

Seton Hall 67 UC 63
    Been this way for the last few seasons, the wheels come off at the end.

I wouldn't be suprised if they get knocked out in the 1st round of the Big East tourny.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Been this way for the last few seasons, the wheels come off at the end.

I wouldn't be suprised if they get knocked out in the 1st round of the Big East tourny.
    If they lose to DePaul then IMO they've lost whatever they gained by winning 18 games this year. That unacceptable.

Does every team make the Big East Tourney these days? I thought a few didn't but maybe they changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they lose to DePaul then IMO they've lost whatever they gained by winning 18 games this year. That unacceptable.

Does every team make the Big East Tourney these days? I thought a few didn't but maybe they changed that.
    Every team makes the tournament starting this year.

Dan Hoard's column puts a little perspective on the season.

Heard it From Hoard: Column 79

What the heck happened?

A week-and-a-half ago after the West Virginia win, the Bearcats were a legit NCAA bubble team and seemed destined to finish no worse than 10-8 in the Big East. It was probably the highlight of the Mick Cronin era so far.

Instead, the regular season ended with the Bengals-esque thud - three straight losses, including two to teams below them in the standings, and for the 2nd straight year the 'Cats wound up 8-10 in league play.

I read enough of the message boards and receive enough e-mail from disgruntled fans (usually in ALL CAPS with lots of exclamation points!!!) to know that many of you are ticked off. Shoot, UC beat Louisville, Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse, and West Virginia last year - where's the improvement?

Time for a reality check.

Cincinnati is 18-13 despite not having a true point guard. The Bearcats were picked to finish 11th by the coaches in the Big East preseason poll and wound up 9th. Do you know how many teams finished more than two spots ahead of where they were picked?

Zero.

Don't get me wrong - I was bitterly disappointed by the way the regular season ended, but I don't share the doom-and-gloom mentality and I remain firmly in Mick Cronin's corner. As much as we all want UC's rebuilding phase to be finished yesterday, progress in the Big East is measured in inches not miles. Think about it - in Cincinnati's four years in the league has any program taken a quantum leap forward?

I've said all season that next year will be the Bearcats opportunity to climb into the league's upper echelon and return to the NCAA tournament, and I continue to believe that will happen. I've seen Cashmere Wright, Ibrahima Thomas, and Sean Kilpatrick play�trust me, they'll make a difference.

Of course, this year isn't finished and if UC takes care of business against DePaul on Tuesday, I'm guessing the 'Cats would at least be assured of a trip to the NIT.

Sure, it's not the tournament we were hoping for, but I remember Cincinnati's NIT run being pretty exciting in Andy Kennedy's year as head coach. Furthermore, I love Andy and think he's an outstanding coach, but why does he get abundant credit for taking a team with an NBA draft pick (James White), a first-team Big East all-star (Eric Hicks), and a point guard who's currently 3rd in the SEC in scoring (Devan Downey) to the NIT, while Mick is taking heat for doing the same thing?

Here's what I want to see in the next two weeks: at least one win the Big East tournament and at least one win in the NIT. That would mean a 20-win season and a better postseason showing than last year. Anything better than that would be gravy.

To me, that's a pretty good year. And I'm not going to let a lousy week ruin it.

I'd love to hear from you. The address is dhoard@pawsox.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Every team makes the tournament starting this year.
    I think every team should play in the tourney so I'm glad they figured out how to make that happen. I'm also glad you told me this is the first year for it so I don't feel so stupid...

Have these clowns played their way out of the NCAA and the NIT tourneys?

Disgusting. They quit. Plain and simple they quit.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Have these clowns played their way out of the NCAA and the NIT tourneys?

Disgusting. They quit. Plain and simple they quit.
    How many teams does the NIT take? They have to be on the bubble for the NIT with their play of late. Losing to DePaul is inexcusable (as was losing to Seton Hall and South Florida).

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    How many teams does the NIT take? They have to be on the bubble for the NIT with their play of late. Losing to DePaul is inexcusable (as was losing to Seton Hall and South Florida).

NIT takes 32, but some of those are automatic berths for teams that won their conference regular season, but lost in their tourney. The last couple years there have been roughly 24-25 open NIT spots.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

CBI bound baby!

Words fail me.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Man, that season ended with a dull thud.

2/3 of the way through the season, I thought things looked promising.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This is a team that was a legit NCAA tournament bubble team two weeks ago, and they proceed to drop three straight games to teams with RPIs of 183, 99 and 208, teams that went 11-43 in Big East regular season play.

Just awful.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?