Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Well, if nothing else, it's disappointing they've invested so much time with him only to see him go elsewhere. They could have used the scholarship on someone who might have been able to help us last year or this year.
    I can definately understand that line of thought as well as paint's. You are both probably more down to earth about it than me.

I just don't think he was a guy Mick had really put a lot of hope on from what I hear, but then again of course he would say that when it would eventually fall through anyway. Got to believe Mick is still searching, but I still see a lot of hope for next year. With the recruiting class already signed, even if considered disappointing, I still think they make the NCAA field next year. Thats where Mick needs to be, and anything less will likely result in him being fired. He knows that, and he wants to win more than anybody right now.

There are a few things that worry me though. One is some things going on with Mick that might be taking away from his recruiting and even possibly his coaching. This has been going on since the middle of last season at least, but I don't want to disclose what it is because I don't think it is public knowlege. If there is reason for concern, this will just add to it. If some of you have sources like I think you do, you know what I'm talking about. The biggest red flag with that situation was the way he seemingly lost the team at the end of the year. He knows why it happened and he is smart enough not to let it happen again.. I think.

If for no other reason than they held on in one of the toughest conferences in college baskeball history until the last week or so without a true PG and such a young team, I am very optomistic about next year. You should see progression for the first time in some of the players because the program has finally become stable. Cashmere has the ability to give Vaughn a lot of freedom to score, and I am very excited to see what Yancy Gates can do in his sophmore season. I also think Wilks can be a factor if he makes the neccessary improvements in the off season. This is all best case scenario though and I am admitedly a pretty big optomist around a program with many reasons to be pessimistic recently.

2. Turn Off Ads?

here's Bill Koch's report and he's making it sound like Cronin never turned the paperwork in, this whole situation sounds weird

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

In answer to the blog questions about John Riek, as most of you know, the story first surfaced on the internet yesterday that Riek, who signed a letter of intent with UC, is now headed to Mississippi State. I don't like to report internet rumors because they often turn out to be wrong. I have been trying since yesterday to confirm it the story with no success. Today, there's a story in The Starkville Daily News reporting that Riek has signed a letter-of-intent with the Bulldogs, but no official confirmation yet from MSU officials because they had yet to receive the letter. This is the second time that Riek has appeared to be headed to UC only to have it not happen. Last year, I was told he didn't actually sign a letter-of-intent but an offer to accept financial aid from UC. Mick Cronin said at the time that Riek had to rehab a bad knee and that he would not play him, even after he had been declared eligible, unless he was fully healthy. Then, as the season wore on, it became apparent that he wasn't coming to UC after all, presumably because he had not been able to gain his eligiblity. Cronin apparently signed him to a letter-of-intent last month, but UC never announced it because the school wanted to wait until he was eligible to play. That announcement has never been made, and according to the internet reports, because UC never turned in the letter to the NCAA, Riek was not bound by it. So it appears he's off to Mississippi State.

It looks like UC has an in on Lance Stephenson. He visited for the Deveroes game this weekend, and is touring the campus. He's a top ten national player, though he has some very serious issues to be resolved.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    It looks like UC has an in on Lance Stephenson. He visited for the Deveroes game this weekend, and is touring the campus. He's a top ten national player, though he has some very serious issues to be resolved.
    I'm going to be curious to see the reaction of UC's fans to this signing (which I'm hearing is going to happen). On the one hand, it probably makes UC a Top 25 team. On the other hand, the baggage surrounding this kid reminds this outsider of Dontonio Wingfield. Is this a desperation move by Cronin or a carefully considered risk?

Wow I hope this happends.. He was at micks kids camp this weekend also.. WHere did you hear this guys?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I'm going to be curious to see the reaction of UC's fans to this signing (which I'm hearing is going to happen). On the one hand, it probably makes UC a Top 25 team. On the other hand, the baggage surrounding this kid reminds this outsider of Dontonio Wingfield. Is this a desperation move by Cronin or a carefully considered risk?
    Personally, as a UC fan, I think it's a bit of both. Stepenshon can flat out play, and is a high school all american. Cronin knows a kid with that kind of talent is worth the risk. At the same time, he also knows a lot of UC fans are getting really tired of the losing, the end of the year collapses, and no NCAA tournaments. The rebuilding excuse only goes so far, he's had time, and to date the results have been mediocre at best. If next year turns out to be like the past 2 seasons, a lot of UC fans are going to be calling for his head. I know I am very disappointed with the current recruiting class, and I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    He has been described as another OJ Mayo. Not necessarily because of the talent but because he is an NCAA violation waiting to happen.

There is a reason why a top ten player is having trouble finding a school. No one wants to be the next USC.

Matt Pilgrim is from the Cincinnati area. He's taking a visit to Memphis but Cronin and UC are definitely in on him. He would be an AWESOME addition for the Bearcats, especially if he gets his waiver as expected to allow him to play the upcoming season.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Matt Pilgrim is from the Cincinnati area. He's taking a visit to Memphis but Cronin and UC are definitely in on him. He would be an AWESOME addition for the Bearcats, especially if he gets his waiver as expected to allow him to play the upcoming season.
    Not sure how many schollys UC has left, I think it's just 1. According to a couple Big East assistants, Stephensen is expected to sign with UC on Tuesday, pending his court appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Not sure how many schollys UC has left, I think it's just 1. According to a couple Big East assistants, Stephensen is expected to sign with UC on Tuesday, pending his court appearance.
    That's what I'm hearing as well. I hope his charges get dismissed.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

At this point I think Cronin realizes it's a pretty big risk but it looks like he has determined it is one worth taking. People are already calling for his head, not because he isn't graduating enough players but because they want more wins, and they want the NCAA tourney. With the guys already in place, adding Stephenson would go a long way towards putting them in the tourney this year. This would put a lot more fans in the seats, and make UC basketball relevant again. I would guess that most of the casual fans have no idea what kind of baggage comes with Lance, and most probably have no idea who Lance Stephenson is at this point. Honestly I think it's a risk worth taking considering the current state of the UC fanbase.

Best case scenario: Lance gets his charges cleared (likely), signs with UC, gets deemed eligible, helps UC to 20+ wins and a tourney run, fans back behind the program, future recruits (esp. the many NYC prospects) consider UC a possible destination.

Worst case scenario: UC signs Lance and he's declared ineligible and doesn't play this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    At this point I think Cronin realizes it's a pretty big risk but it looks like he has determined it is one worth taking. People are already calling for his head, not because he isn't graduating enough players but because they want more wins, and they want the NCAA tourney. With the guys already in place, adding Stephenson would go a long way towards putting them in the tourney this year. This would put a lot more fans in the seats, and make UC basketball relevant again. I would guess that most of the casual fans have no idea what kind of baggage comes with Lance, and most probably have no idea who Lance Stephenson is at this point. Honestly I think it's a risk worth taking considering the current state of the UC fanbase.

Best case scenario: Lance gets his charges cleared (likely), signs with UC, gets deemed eligible, helps UC to 20+ wins and a tourney run, fans back behind the program, future recruits (esp. the many NYC prospects) consider UC a possible destination.

Worst case scenario: UC signs Lance and he's declared ineligible and doesn't play this season.
    I kind of feel the same way as you do. I think Cronin needs to take some chances in order to get UC back to where they were under Huggins. This Stephenson sounds like a real quality human being, that said, I really don't care how bad of a person he is if he doesn't get arrested and helps UC win games.

The issue I have with Cronin is that he has taken chances in the past and they backfired. Herenal Hall, Adam H, and Reik twice. If he can ink Stephenson to a LOI, he can't swing and miss again. If he signs he can't be ruled ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I kind of feel the same way as you do. I think Cronin needs to take some chances in order to get UC back to where they were under Huggins. This Stephenson sounds like a real quality human being, that said, I really don't care how bad of a person he is if he doesn't get arrested and helps UC win games.

The issue I have with Cronin is that he has taken chances in the past and they backfired. Herenal Hall, Adam H, and Reik twice. If he can ink Stephenson to a LOI, he can't swing and miss again. If he signs he can't be ruled ineligible.
    I don't think he took any chance that backfired with Reik. He had Reik if he wanted him and Cronin said no. I guess you can say he took a chance by recruiting him in the first place, but pretty much every coach in the country recruited him at some point.

I don't think it hurts him at all if he signs Stephenson and he doesn't become eligible. It's not like there's a lot of '09 talent out there right now waiting to sign that we can use that last scholarship on. If he's declared ineligible we're in the same boat as we are without signing him at all. The scholarship is available, so why not take the chance?

BTW, just saw that his hearing has been adjourned again until July 15th, so don't expect a commitment either way until that is cleared up.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I don't think he took any chance that backfired with Reik. He had Reik if he wanted him and Cronin said no. I guess you can say he took a chance by recruiting him in the first place, but pretty much every coach in the country recruited him at some point.

I don't think it hurts him at all if he signs Stephenson and he doesn't become eligible. It's not like there's a lot of '09 talent out there right now waiting to sign that we can use that last scholarship on. If he's declared ineligible we're in the same boat as we are without signing him at all. The scholarship is available, so why not take the chance?

BTW, just saw that his hearing has been adjourned again until July 15th, so don't expect a commitment either way until that is cleared up.
    The whole situation with Reik is just bizarre. You recruit a guy for 2 years, then decide after he signs an LOI, you don't want him anymore? That makes no sense at all. I have some major concerns with Cronin when it comes to recruiting. This team needed a backup PG, he failed to sign one. If Cashmere still has some nagging problems with his injury, that means more Vaughn at the PG position, which doesn't spell good news.

I agree on Lance though, if you can get him, take him. Even if it turns out he's ineligible, it was worth the risk considering the talent and potential impact involved. Unless they start winning, and soon, UC is on the verge of becoming non-relevlant in college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    The whole situation with Reik is just bizarre. You recruit a guy for 2 years, then decide after he signs an LOI, you don't want him anymore? That makes no sense at all. I have some major concerns with Cronin when it comes to recruiting. This team needed a backup PG, he failed to sign one. If Cashmere still has some nagging problems with his injury, that means more Vaughn at the PG position, which doesn't spell good news.
    No idea what happened with the Reik situation. Maybe Cronin learned of something new that changed his mind. He knows a lot more about the situation than we do, so I'm not at all upset if he decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

I too would have liked to have signed a nice backup PG. Unfortunately for us PG's were in high demand this year, and the options were limited. Having Parker at least gives us a potential backup option besides Vaughn, but I don't think he's the true PG that we needed.

Turn Off Ads?