Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

If UC is not a NCAA tournament team in 2009, does Cronin survive to coach 2010?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Probably yes.

Should he? No.

As much as it pains me to say it, who would replace him? The UC athletic department is so far in the red, there is no money to hire a big name coach. If the money was there, the reality is most probably wouldn't want the job. I think the way the whole Huggins situation played out left a very sour taste in mouths of many coaches. The upside is Zimpher is now gone, but her replacement has yet to be determined. They would likey hire the latest flavor of the month from the mid-major ranks, on the cheap, and I'm not sure if that would be any better than what we've got.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    No idea what happened with the Reik situation. Maybe Cronin learned of something new that changed his mind. He knows a lot more about the situation than we do, so I'm not at all upset if he decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

I too would have liked to have signed a nice backup PG. Unfortunately for us PG's were in high demand this year, and the options were limited. Having Parker at least gives us a potential backup option besides Vaughn, but I don't think he's the true PG that we needed.
    I'm not real thrilled with the Parker signing. A decommit from ODU, forgive me if I'm less than impressed with that.

Fingers crossed he can land Lance. I'm wondering if he ends up being cleared, that all the schools that backed off will jump back into the picture right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm not real thrilled with the Parker signing. A decommit from ODU, forgive me if I'm less than impressed with that.

Fingers crossed he can land Lance. I'm wondering if he ends up being cleared, that all the schools that backed off will jump back into the picture right away.
    I'm not going to say Parker is great, because I've never seen him play, but I don't think it's fair to say he's no good because he once committed to ODU. From what I've read he was being recruited by UCONN and Marquette as well. That being said, I got the impression that he was more of a backup plan that Cronin had to go to since the top pg's that half the country was going after committed elsewhere.

I too have my fingers crossed for Stephenson. Fans of other schools will bash UC if he signs here, but the reality is if he was being recruited by their school most of them would be excited to see him sign there too.

Good question. I think he will get one more year unless there is some serious regression this year, and I think he deserves it also. The cupboard was completely bare when he took over, and he has gone from 11 to 13 to 18 wins in his three seasons. He has a nice sophomore class in place, and if Stephenson signs there will be a solid freshman class. I think the program is moving in the right direction. Maybe not as quickly as I had hoped, but I think they will be back in the big dance this year.

Well, one source says Lance chose UC. Huge pick up by Mick. We'll see how this all plays out, but I'd say Mick is pretty sure he'll play this year or he wouldn't go through with it. Thats why I think UC backed off the Reik deal. Either way, I think this could completely change the outlook for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Well, one source says Lance chose UC. Huge pick up by Mick. We'll see how this all plays out, but I'd say Mick is pretty sure he'll play this year or he wouldn't go through with it. Thats why I think UC backed off the Reik deal. Either way, I think this could completely change the outlook for the upcoming season.
    I agree, not sure if the Reik situation had anything to do with it though - but Lance is a top 10 recruit and UC desperately needs that kind of attention/situation, even if it is for just one year.

Gates/Vaughn/Wright/Thomas/Stephenson - not bad at all. I just hope the egos don't get in the way and that those guys compliment each other, they are capable of being VERY good, despite some depth issues still - a top 5 Big East team is not out of the question at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I agree, not sure if the Reik situation had anything to do with it though

I'm not saying they are related, but I think the reason Mick backed out of that was because he didn't believe Reik would be playing college basketball. I'm sure he didn't want to waste the time on a recruit that was returning from injury and wasn't even a certainty he would be eligible. I would think Mick is fairly certain of Lance's eligibility.

Is Mick really that certain of Lance's eligibility or is he desperate to land a top 10 recruit (understandable)?

With all that "Born Ready TV" etc. etc. etc. and with the fickleness of the NCAA, I don't think anyone can be "fairly certain" of Lance being eligible.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

BORN READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Is Mick really that certain of Lance's eligibility or is he desperate to land a top 10 recruit (understandable)?

With all that "Born Ready TV" etc. etc. etc. and with the fickleness of the NCAA, I don't think anyone can be "fairly certain" of Lance being eligible.
    Worth the risk. What does UC have to lose? Nothing. There is no possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, as all this happened before his involvement with UC. The risk-reward factor is with UC on this one.

I agree it is worth the risk. Mick needs to make some moves and if this Stephenson deal ends up working out well then it could be a precursor to Mick getting involved with more blue chip guys. Lance COULD be very, very good for the UC program. It wouldn't be great for the program's rep if Cronin takes him and he then doesn't qualify, but it's still a smart risk to take in a very tough Big East.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I thought Huggs Thugs & Drugs was long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Worth the risk. What does UC have to lose? Nothing. There is no possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, as all this happened before his involvement with UC. The risk-reward factor is with UC on this one.

What does UC have to lose? Credibility. Or have they already lost all of it?

UC recruiting this type of kid is a running joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    What does UC have to lose? Credibility. Or have they already lost all of it?

UC recruiting this type of kid is a running joke.
    Ahhh, the haters are returning. This must be a sign the program is on the right direction again.

Turn Off Ads?