Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

I must be missing something. From what I understand Lance has a pending charge that he groped a 17 year old girl and it's expected that his case will either be pleaded down or thrown out. Yes, that's bad, but there are also several other recruits that have signed this period that have had charges against them and I didn't hear near the uproar that I'm hearing over Stephenson. Aside from the legal issue I'm not sure I understand what gives pepole the perception that he's the scum of the earth. Let's look at the other issues around him.

1. His dad is outspoken: apparently that means Lance is scum.

2. He toured the under armor facilities while on a college visit with Maryland: not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance, it only reflects poorly on Maryland IMO.

3. He had an internet reality show about him: Again, not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance. Probably not the smartest thing to do because it will ultimately raise the question of whether or not he received compensation, but from what I understand it's just pure speculation that any money changed hands. I guess people will take that speculation as fact and assume that he's a thug because of it. For what it's worth Lance's dad said that they would have to be idiots to take any money for that show (to be determined whether or not they're idiots I guess).

4. He's supposedly a selfish basketball player and bad for team chemistry: I'm not sure I know of many star athletes, especially top 25 caliber players that aren't selfish in high school. I'm not sure how bad his team chemistry can be if his team won 4 city championships and 2 state titles.

Is there anything else I'm unaware of that makes UC a renegade program for recruiting him? Decourcey was just on Lance's show and said the talk about other programs backing out and nobody else wanting him is crazy. He said Mick flat out won this recruiting battle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am very excited about watching Lance at UC. If Mick can get him to play within the framework of the team, (to me that is the biggest question mark) UC will have a very good year. With the guys they have coming off redshirt and transfer, plus more experience on the rest of the roster they have a chance.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

they should finish top 5 at least in the Big East and have a real chance to win it because the Big East top teams like UCONN, PITT, UofL and some others are all in rebuilding kind of modes because they lost ALOT

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I have heard this is a big problem. He and his dad will fight during games Lance yelling at his dad in the stands. From the report I have heard he undermines the coaches authority.

2. He toured the under armor facilities while on a college visit with Maryland: not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance, it only reflects poorly on Maryland IMO.
    If I had the chance I would want to do it. The problem becomes with how closely Maryland is linked to UA. Recruiting is a dirty game and it seems like Lance took advantage out of that.

3. He had an internet reality show about him: Again, not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance. Probably not the smartest thing to do because it will ultimately raise the question of whether or not he received compensation, but from what I understand it's just pure speculation that any money changed hands. I guess people will take that speculation as fact and assume that he's a thug because of it. For what it's worth Lance's dad said that they would have to be idiots to take any money for that show (to be determined whether or not they're idiots I guess).
    Didn't Lance call himself the "Chosen One". The internet reality show just makes me think this kid will have a rampant ego. A great player who doesn't buy into a system or has a huge ego will tear a team apart.

4. He's supposedly a selfish basketball player and bad for team chemistry: I'm not sure I know of many star athletes, especially top 25 caliber players that aren't selfish in high school. I'm not sure how bad his team chemistry can be if his team won 4 city championships and 2 state titles.
    College and High School are two different animals. I agree that most top 25 players are selfish. But what I want to know is whether the player can or will change. In High School the level of talent across the board isn't even close to what it is in college. Now days in college basketball mid-majors and small D1 schools have mature talent across the board. If you don't play as a team, one of these smaller teams will beat you.

Is there anything else I'm unaware of that makes UC a renegade program for recruiting him? Decourcey was just on Lance's show and said the talk about other programs backing out and nobody else wanting him is crazy. He said Mick flat out won this recruiting battle.
    Not a big Decourcey fan. I think he is an ok writer, but a complete UC homer. Personally from what I have read Lance is a turd. I wouldn't want him to live next door to me, I wouldn't want my sister to date him, I wouldn't want my brother to hang around him. But he isn't any more of a turd than Jon Wall or OJ Mayo or Brandon Jennings. He is just a very talented high school player who from day one has played with a sense of entitlement. These types of players are great at putting a team over the top. They can take a top 15 team in to a title contending team. Unfortunatly if they aren't the final piece they need to be taken down a notch. They need to learn how to play the game right. Need to learn how to play the game as a good teammate and a good defender. It is very tough to do with a one and done player.

Hopefully for Mick and UC it works out. As a fan I will cheer for him when he is off the court and hope he stays out of another court.

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    they should finish top 5 at least in the Big East and have a real chance to win it because the Big East top teams like UCONN, PITT, UofL and some others are all in rebuilding kind of modes because they lost ALOT
    Good point. The Big East will still be tough, but last year was ridiculous. A lot of talent left across the board this past year though. UC won 8 Big East games last year, and returns everyone but Mike Williams plus they add their 4* point guard, a 5* stud (if he's eligible), along with a 6'10" scorer in Thomas. If Stephenson is eligible I see no reason why UC shouldn't be considered a legit threat to win the Big East this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have heard this is a big problem. He and his dad will fight during games Lance yelling at his dad in the stands. From the report I have heard he undermines the coaches authority.

If I had the chance I would want to do it. The problem becomes with how closely Maryland is linked to UA. Recruiting is a dirty game and it seems like Lance took advantage out of that.

Didn't Lance call himself the "Chosen One". The internet reality show just makes me think this kid will have a rampant ego. A great player who doesn't buy into a system or has a huge ego will tear a team apart.

College and High School are two different animals. I agree that most top 25 players are selfish. But what I want to know is whether the player can or will change. In High School the level of talent across the board isn't even close to what it is in college. Now days in college basketball mid-majors and small D1 schools have mature talent across the board. If you don't play as a team, one of these smaller teams will beat you.

Not a big Decourcey fan. I think he is an ok writer, but a complete UC homer. Personally from what I have read Lance is a turd. I wouldn't want him to live next door to me, I wouldn't want my sister to date him, I wouldn't want my brother to hang around him. But he isn't any more of a turd than Jon Wall or OJ Mayo or Brandon Jennings. He is just a very talented high school player who from day one has played with a sense of entitlement. These types of players are great at putting a team over the top. They can take a top 15 team in to a title contending team. Unfortunatly if they aren't the final piece they need to be taken down a notch. They need to learn how to play the game right. Need to learn how to play the game as a good teammate and a good defender. It is very tough to do with a one and done player.

Hopefully for Mick and UC it works out. As a fan I will cheer for him when he is off the court and hope he stays out of another court.
    I agree with most everything you said. In the end it's up to Cronin to keep him in check and make him play team ball. For what it's worth Cronin said in the Enquirer today that Stephenson talked about winning as much or more than any other recruit he has talked to.

Cronin will have to earn that fat paycheck this year. Should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Ahhh, the haters are returning. This must be a sign the program is on the right direction again.
    Ha. Yeah, something like that.

The only sign I see is that UC can't reach their goals without bringing in kids with serious question marks.

I must be missing something. From what I understand Lance has a pending charge that he groped a 17 year old girl and it's expected that his case will either be pleaded down or thrown out. Yes, that's bad, but there are also several other recruits that have signed this period that have had charges against them and I didn't hear near the uproar that I'm hearing over Stephenson. Aside from the legal issue I'm not sure I understand what gives pepole the perception that he's the scum of the earth. Let's look at the other issues around him.

What he said.

My Huggins-loving UC alum friend was also quick to mention Lance was "cut" from the under-18 US team (fair to be curious about that though).

Only here are people criticizing/wondering/complaining about a McD's AA and top 10 recruit other big time schools wanted but didn't get - presumably because they don't "have" to "settle" for guys like this no matter how talented. UC is not in that position, may never be.

The Huggins-obsessives are impossible to please, they want Cronin to dominate the BE like Huggs dominated (until the last several years) lowly C-USA, then complain or criticize Cronin when he lands a top 10 national recruit.

I don't get it at all, but, we are in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Ha. Yeah, something like that.

The only sign I see is that UC can't reach their goals without bringing in kids with serious question marks.

I don't know about that. This year's goal has to be make the NCAA tourney. I think they can do that without Lance. Most would argue that Lance is one and done, so he doesn't really help beyond that.

Beyond that, I don't know that any school can get by just by recruiting players without question marks. Good players usually come with baggage. Such is the cost of trying to run a top 25 program.

I guess my response should have been you are correct, but to say this is true for only UC is why Reds4Life points out some people just critic every thing UC does. There are definately haters out there, just at there are OSU haters and so forth that will never be able to view this without bias.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I don't get it at all, but, we are in Cincinnati.
    Cincinnati, may be on of the most negatively viewed sports cities by not only its citizens, but also by outsiders. Even when teams play well at UC, they are said to be a bunch of convicts. Its not like other teams are completely clean, or that UC has tons of recruiting violations, but the players are a bunch of criminals. The Bengals are seen as the leading culprits in players with criminal problems even though other teams have had as many or more problems, and some even more serious. Cincinnati and its professional teams haven't helped themselves by any means, but a lot of these criticisms are unfairly placed on the city. It is what it is I guess, but it irritates me to no end that my "hometown" teams are viewed with such disdain. Talk about bias. Thats enough ranting for now though.

Lance is a good kid, the media blows it out of proportion.

Now, Xavier just got a recruit Jeff Robinson who couldn't qualify for Purdue..that seems fishy to me.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Good point. The Big East will still be tough, but last year was ridiculous. A lot of talent left across the board this past year though. UC won 8 Big East games last year, and returns everyone but Mike Williams plus they add their 4* point guard, a 5* stud (if he's eligible), along with a 6'10" scorer in Thomas. If Stephenson is eligible I see no reason why UC shouldn't be considered a legit threat to win the Big East this year.
    UC won 8 games in the BE with a relatively weak BE schedule. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Still plenty of work to do and Mick hasn't proved he can last a whole season without some type of bad, bad losing streaks.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    UC won 8 games in the BE with a relatively weak BE schedule. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Still plenty of work to do and Mick hasn't proved he can last a whole season without some type of bad, bad losing streaks.
    I may be thinking a little too highly of this team, but I really don't know. Last year's team was very young, and sorely lacked a PG. We have the PG, and they're still young, but the talent level has significantly increased. Meanwhile, most of the teams in the Big East suffered some big losses in personnel this year. I think Villanova is the favorite, but I think UC should at least be considered as a team that could make a run at it (I'm not saying they will win it or anything, but I think they should have a legit shot at it).

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Cincinnati, may be on of the most negatively viewed sports cities by not only its citizens, but also by outsiders. Even when teams play well at UC, they are said to be a bunch of convicts. Its not like other teams are completely clean, or that UC has tons of recruiting violations, but the players are a bunch of criminals. The Bengals are seen as the leading culprits in players with criminal problems even though other teams have had as many or more problems, and some even more serious. Cincinnati and its professional teams haven't helped themselves by any means, but a lot of these criticisms are unfairly placed on the city. It is what it is I guess, but it irritates me to no end that my "hometown" teams are viewed with such disdain. Talk about bias. Thats enough ranting for now though.
    Don't forget Marge and Pete.

Between the Reds, Bengals, and UC hoops, we've had a run of about 25 years of bad sports ink now. Unfortunately most of it deserved.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    A relatively BE schedule last year is nothing to scoff at IMO. Honestly, UC fans' expectations were raised mid season. Thats part of being a sports fan that we have such a hard time understanding. You have to look at the whole season, not just parts. UC played well against very tough opponents and those losing streaks can be viewed as the team running out of gas in a lot of instances. This year will be the first that Mick's team isn't severely under-manned and Mick is now working with the true base of college players rather than a bunch of JuCo transfers and patch-up players. He has consistently improved and the next step in the process will be an NCAA berth. If he doesn't reach that goal this upcoming season, then there are some more serious concerns with Mick's ability.

Again, just my opinion

Turn Off Ads?