Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Decent performance today by the Cats. Lance Stevenson continues to improve as well as Thomas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yancy Gates only played 4 minutes and took no shots. I wonder what he did to get into Mick's doghouse? Will someone tell Deonta Vaughn that the season has started?

Vaughn seems out of place right now. After 3 years of him being the only guy on the team worth anything it's like he lost any ability to play his normal position.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Yancy Gates only played 4 minutes and took no shots. I wonder what he did to get into Mick's doghouse? Will someone tell Deonta Vaughn that the season has started?
    Lack of effort per Cronin. I couldn't agree more. Watching someone with that body and incredibly physically gifted give little effort and show no emotion is frustrating.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He's the laziest big man I've ever seen. He does nothing to get position in the paint at all, and makes no effort on offense to attack the basket.

If I were Mick, I'd sit him for the next game, he'd be playing 0 minutes.

Tonight's game against Winthrop was a microcosm of the season. The Cats started out strong, especially offensively with some very nice execution. Then they got sloppy, lazy and let Winthrop cut the lead down to single digits. Finally with about five minutes to play they kicked it back into gear - Vaughn hit a few nice shots - and pulled away with ease.

The big time games start next Wednesday night though; Connecticut awaits.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Tonight's game against Winthrop was a microcosm of the season. The Cats started out strong, especially offensively with some very nice execution. Then they got sloppy, lazy and let Winthrop cut the lead down to single digits. Finally with about five minutes to play they kicked it back into gear - Vaughn hit a few nice shots - and pulled away with ease.

The big time games start next Wednesday night though; Connecticut awaits.

Who is this Vaughn fellow, is he new?

In all seriousness, hopefully he has found his shot because that could be huge for the Bearcats. I was really excited watching the first half, but you have to worry about the lack of intrest in the second half. Sure there were a lot of factors playing into it, but you can't have any lapses in conference play.

The one thing that stood out to me in the first half and when Vaughn hit those threes was the movement on offense. Not just the ball movement but it seemed to really be the first time that you saw a lot of player movement and actual offensive plays executed instead of watching one guy try to make something.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    The one thing that stood out to me in the first half and when Vaughn hit those threes was the movement on offense. Not just the ball movement but it seemed to really be the first time that you saw a lot of player movement and actual offensive plays executed instead of watching one guy try to make something.
    I noticed that too. They were actually running an offense and offensive sets. I even saw them in the flex at one point during the game. Definitely something I liked and want to see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    He's the laziest big man I've ever seen. He does nothing to get position in the paint at all, and makes no effort on offense to attack the basket.

If I were Mick, I'd sit him for the next game, he'd be playing 0 minutes.
    There is absolutely no reason that Gates shouldn't get a double double in every single game. Honestly he has the ability to become one of the better post players in the country. I think some has to do with his lack of fundamentals, some has to do with his lack of effort, and some has to do with a poor offensive scheme. The ball should go through Gates on every possession. Too many times there is poor off ball movement as well as poor ball movement. Gates often doesn't work hard enough to establish position. This team has the talent to be a top 15 team in the country, it all depends on who shows up on a given day.

I agree about Gates other than that the ball should go through him.

Stephenson is the guy I want having the ball and trying to score every time down the court. He just creates so much more than Gates can imo.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I agree about Gates other than that the ball should go through him.

Stephenson is the guy I want having the ball and trying to score every time down the court. He just creates so much more than Gates can imo.
    I would like to see Stephenson run the point, and I'd like to see Gates get a touch on a good majority of offensive sets. He doesn't have to score every time, but it would open things up a lot more on the peremiter. Thats what you saw in the first half against Winthrop.

Retired

UC defeats #10 UConn, 71-69.

Nice win for UC to start off Big East play as they beat # 10 ranked UConn 71-69. Lance Stephenson hits two free throws with less than a second to play as the Bearcats hold off the Huskies. Deonta Vaughn shows signs of waking with 17 points.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Great start! 1 down, and 1 to go for UC this weekend

UC beat Rutgers tonight to improve to 10-3 and 2-0 in the league. Next up is Pitt at the Shoe. Huge game.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Turn Off Ads?