Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

BTW, Pitt handed "Cuse their first loss at the Carrier Dome earlier today. I guess there's still a little talent left on that team not in the NBA.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Pitt beat UC. I can't figure Pitt out. This is a team that got dominated by a bad Indiana team, but beat UConn.

I thought UC played fairly well last night until their last few offensive sets, but Pitt also played well too. The game was pretty much even throughout and could have gone either way, but unfortunately UC just didn't execute down the stretch and had to settle for some poor shots. Hopefully that's not one of those games that haunts us once it comes tourney selection time.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I've been thinking about how I should feel about this team. Honestly, they have had some very good games and a bad game or two, but overall I feel this team is a good team, not great, who is playing like a very mediocre team. They have the potential to be a pretty good team, but play with a lot of immaturity IMO. If they trust in the offensive plays and take good shots while getting a good amount of touches in the paint they could be a whole lot better.

They good thing as far as I can tell is most of their problems can be fixed by Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I've been thinking about how I should feel about this team. Honestly, they have had some very good games and a bad game or two, but overall I feel this team is a good team, not great, who is playing like a very mediocre team. They have the potential to be a pretty good team, but play with a lot of immaturity IMO. If they trust in the offensive plays and take good shots while getting a good amount of touches in the paint they could be a whole lot better.

They good thing as far as I can tell is most of their problems can be fixed by Mick.
    Mick got outcoached by Jamie Dixon last night. The biggest challenge for this team will be whether or not Mick is able to make adjustments and coach this team up. This team is a very talented team but it they won't be successful in the Big East if Mick continues to be out coached.

There's nothing to be ashamed of in losing to Pitt. They're pretty good. Another day in the Big East I guess.

UC just wasn't patient enough on offense. Pitt is solid defensive team and UC forced a lot of shots(even made a number of them) but Pitt consistently got better shots and that was the difference in the game (as it is in most games).

I don't quite have my college basketball glasses adjusted yet, but it appears to me that UC's offense is to pass the ball around the perimeter while everyone stands around. Eventually, Stephenson gets tired of it and creates a shot or pass off his dribble. Vaughan seems to have lost his mojo. I don't see much of an offense.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    UC just wasn't patient enough on offense. Pitt is solid defensive team and UC forced a lot of shots(even made a number of them) but Pitt consistently got better shots and that was the difference in the game (as it is in most games).
    Towards the end of the second half Pitt constantly got wide open looks and layups because of poor defense and over pursuit. The Bearcats offense actually kept them in that game down the stretch. Cronin needed to at least attempt a zone in order to prevent wide open looks.

What also confused me was two times in a row UC allowed Pitts best FT shooter to get the ball in a foul situation.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Pitt beat UC. I can't figure Pitt out. This is a team that got dominated by a bad Indiana team, but beat UConn.
    Gilbert Brown didn't play against I.U.

Jermaine Dixon was rusty in his return from a broken foot.

They are a different team with Brown and Dixon healthy.

As an aside, Pitt, Syracuse and Cincy were all picked around 7-8-9 in the conference by some pre-season publications. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don't quite have my college basketball glasses adjusted yet, but it appears to me that UC's offense is to pass the ball around the perimeter while everyone stands around. Eventually, Stephenson gets tired of it and creates a shot or pass off his dribble. Vaughan seems to have lost his mojo. I don't see much of an offense.
    I would have agreed with you about 3 or 4 games ago, but recently I have seen a lot more movement on offense and some good sets. Early in the year is when I felt like they were all standing around until someone eventually chucked a three, but since then I've consistently seen them running the flex as well as another motion set.

For those of you who may have missed tonight's St. John's game, consider yourselves lucky. That was probably the worst display of basketball I've seen in ages.

Lousy shot selection, lousy offensive execution, lousy concentration. I've been a Mick Cronin supporter, but the act is starting to get real tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    For those of you who may have missed tonight's St. John's game, consider yourselves lucky. That was probably the worst display of basketball I've seen in ages.

Lousy shot selection, lousy offensive execution, lousy concentration. I've been a Mick Cronin supporter, but the act is starting to get real tired.
    Yikes, I'm glad I forgot to watch. Sounds like his seat is about to get really hot.

I've been a big Mick supporter too but he's not taking advantage of his opportunity to win with a very talented team. There are no more excuses left and he just fell to 7-30 with UC on the road. That ain't getting it done.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-13-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yikes, I'm glad I forgot to watch. Sounds like his seat is about to get really hot.

I've been a big Mick supporter too but he's not taking advantage of his opportunity to win with a very talented team. There are no more excuses left and he just fell to 7-30 with UC on the road. That ain't getting it done.
    paint, let me sum it up ...

21 turnovers (vs. only 20 made field goals).

0-12 shooting (with an air ball) from three point range.

10-18 shooting (with an air ball) from the foul line.

Zero offensive execution.

50 total points.

Blowing a three point lead (with the ball) in the final minute of the game (we can thank turnovers for this too).

Add all that together, and that's a loss to a lousy St. John's team who tried to lose the game themselves for the first 39 minutes of action.

It was brutal, man, just plain brutal.

Retired

My patience with Mick is over. If they don't make the NCAA's this year, which it sure looks like they have no prayer of doing, then it's time to find somebody else. Next year is shaping up to be even worse, the top 2 scorers (Lance and Vaughn) will be gone next year there and there is nothing waiting in the wings to replace them. The lack of development with Gates is insane.

The problem is, UC has no money to buy out his contract, and no big name would have any interest in coming here. Even if one did, no cash to make it happen.

Turn Off Ads?