Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Didn't Beilein get a huge raise to go suck at Michigan?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Didn't Beilein get a huge raise to go suck at Michigan?
    Yes, I was under the impression he left to make a step up i salary and prestige not to avoid pressure. In fact, he probably is under more pressure to win now with the big money than he was before.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Sorry to chime in cere, but in the Big East, you have to be able to face a top 20 team almost every game and many are just not up to it...
    Like you say, you have to win your non-conference games, win all your home games in the conference and split your away games to do well. And you have to beat the scrubs of the league. If you don't do that, you are not successful in the Big East.

That recipe works for most conferences but it's ambitious for UC in the BE. All I'm asking them to do is beat the non ranked teams in the BE like Providence, St Johns and even Louisville (this year) and then take an occasional upset of a UConn. That does it for me. All I'm looking for from Mick this year is an NCAA berth. That shouldn't be too much to ask

This team absolutely disappears on the road. Mick is 8-32 on the road at UC and it's looking like 8-33 with UC down 13 at the half against Notre Dame.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

This is just an altogether poorly coached basketball team.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Ya know, you've got a front-line with a big size advantage playing a team that struggles to defend the post. So what does UC do on the offensive side? Chuck three after three.

Deonta finally hits a three. If you shoot enough of them...

Chuck is mincing his words on calling out Yancy Gates's laziness on the defensive end. He has more patience than I do.

To think, UC completely manhandled Notre Dame physically just a few weeks ago. I don't get it...

It's to the point now that I think it's just poor coaching. Cronin isn't properly preparing these kids night after night, and it doesn't seem like there's much accountability for players not working as hard as they should be. Too many times there's missed assignments, bad decisions, and just overall dumb basketball. I can see that happening from time to time, but it's just constant here ... night after night, game after game. It makes me wonder what in the world is going on in practice.

Of course, Mick sounds like Marvin Lewis after a loss ...

They've played about a half dozen really nice games this year, but that's about it, and unfortunately that just isn't going to cut it in the Big East. Everything else has just been painful to watch, including some of those lackluster wins they had against the early non-conference schedule.

At this point, I think it'll take a miracle to get UC in the tourney. They've either gotta win five more regular season games and at least one in the conference tourney or roll deep into the conference tourney, but doing that will require beating teams that I just don't think UC can beat.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Retired

Rest of the schedule is going to be a slaughter. Nova, Syracuse, WVU. USF isn't a gimme game either, for this team. I could see them losing to Marquette as well.

I'm ready to call an end to the Cronin era. At the time, I thought he was a good hire, but he hasn't recruited all that well, and his skills as a game coach are quite poor. UC won't do it, because they don't have the money, but a change needs to be made at the end of the season.

I've seen enough. I supported Mick up to this point. I may not have always been happy, but I supported him. Tonight's game was about as must win as they come with the teeth of the BE schedule around the corner. And they get blown out in a pathetic performance. I won't shed any tears if he gets the boot this off-season.

Here's a scary thought: this team will have less talent next year. I expected 22 wins this year. I think we'll see 16. This might only be a 12 win team next season.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I've seen enough. I supported Mick up to this point. I may not have always been happy, but I supported him. Tonight's game was about as must win as they come with the teeth of the BE schedule around the corner. And they get blown out in a pathetic performance. I won't shed any tears if he gets the boot this off-season.

Here's a scary thought: this team will have less talent next year. I expected 22 wins this year. I think we'll see 16. This might only be a 12 win team next season.
    I'm with ya. I have been in Cronin's corner up until now. I have not bashed him once on any message board, but I'm tired of watching inconsistent effort. There are games where they play hard, and they're a pretty decent team when they do, but tonight they looked like they didn't want to be there, and that's unacceptable in a game of this importance. Cronin needs to either get consistent effort out of his team or he needs to be shown the door. I think he's trying hard, but at this point it's pretty obvious the message is not sinking in with his team, which means he may not be the right guy for the job.

Retired

Next year is going to be ugly. Lose Vaughn, and maybe Lance, and there is nothing to replace them. A coupe 3 star recruits when the top half of the league is hauling in 4 and 5 star guys at nearly every position.

Even if they manage to pull out a suprise win against Cuse, Nova, WVU or GTown, the reality is this team is poorly coached. On top of that, if you are going to compete in this league you need to bring in top talent at every postion, every single year. Cronin hasn't done that eitiher.

Somewhere Nancy Zimpher is smiling. Ugh.

Ya know, you've got a front-line with a big size advantage playing a team that struggles to defend the post. So what does UC do on the offensive side? Chuck three after three.

Deonta finally hits a three. If you shoot enough of them...
    Isn't it a joke...7-28 from three tonight. We're one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country, and we're playing against a team that does not defend the post well yet we managed to shoot 28 three's. Frustrating.

Ooh, here's Mick to remind us that this team is "young". Stay tuned...

Retired

Ooh, here's Mick to remind us that this team is "young". Stay tuned...
    Don't forget, "they are a good team", "they really needed a win", "our guys shoot great in practice, the shots are going to start dropping".

Turn Off Ads?