Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

WVU up 69-65 with 48 seconds left. Close doesn't count. 48 seconds of execution and toughness please.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not one to normally complain about refs, but Bob Donato needs to be suspended that was a terrible performance by the reffing crew.

Not to be today. WVU 74 UC 68. Cats beat on the boards 33-24 as Yancy Gates pulls down air - not a single rebound. Foul discrepancy was huge (26 on the Cats, 13 on Mountaineers). NIT anyone?

Edit: Fair or not, I think the Refs were extremely homerific today. Sour Grapes to be sure. But the officiating was not even-handed.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-27-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Not to be today. WVU 74 UC 68. Cats beat on the boards 33-24 as Yancy Gates pulls down air - not a single rebound. Foul discrepancy was huge (26 on the Cats, 13 on Mountaineers). NIT anyone?

Edit: Fair or not, I think the Refs were extremely homerific today. Sour Grapes to be sure. But the officiating was not even-handed.

There foul discrepancy was especially bothersome considering the physicality of both teams, UC may have deserved most of their foul calls but WVU deserved just as many. The problem I really had with it is that foul trouble could have very well cost UC the game. I also saw 2 or 3 occasions where WVU players took some extra steps right in front of an official that wasn't called. Those weren't even close. Lack of execution is what ultimately cost them down the stretch, but the officiating did them no favors to be sure.

Aren't teams supposed to improve as the year progresses? Mick remains 0 for March as the Bearcats' head coach.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Aren't teams supposed to improve as the year progresses? Mick remains 0 for March as the Bearcats' head coach.
    Not a Mick supporter these days, but not much to complain about in game tonight. They played hard for a change, they just got beat by a better team. Nova ain't top 10 for nothing.

They played much better than I expected. I was thinking a 20+ point butt whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Not a Mick supporter these days, but not much to complain about in game tonight. They played hard for a change, they just got beat by a better team. Nova ain't top 10 for nothing.

They played much better than I expected. I was thinking a 20+ point butt whipping.
    Plenty for me to complain about. Mick tends to waste minutes by playing poor players. During a 3 minute stretch Mick had Vaughn, Wright, Toyloy, Thomas, and Dixon. You can't give away minutes in Big East play like Mick does. The T that Mick got was unacceptable. You don't do that to a team who has played a very good 5 minutes or so of basketball to erase a 10 pt deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Agree there. UC has had a very tough schedule. They are actually playing like they want to win and thats something I don't think I would've said at some points during this season. Last night we actually saw hustle and more team play although it is still not where it needs to be. UC could've won that game and it would've been huge.

I saw at one point during the second half Villanova was shooting 56% to UC's 38%. The fact that the hung around and had a chance to win was amazing in itself. UC continues to hurt themselves with spells of poor shot selection and just standing around on the offensive end.

On a side note, was I the only one happy to see Mick get the Technical last night. I always thought that he was not vocal enough to the officials. It really seemed to get the team fired up, and it was kind of funny watching his assistant who is twice his size hold him back.

I dont understand why Larry Davis even sees the court..

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Agree there. UC has had a very tough schedule. They are actually playing like they want to win and thats something I don't think I would've said at some points during this season. Last night we actually saw hustle and more team play although it is still not where it needs to be. UC could've won that game and it would've been huge.

I saw at one point during the second half Villanova was shooting 56% to UC's 38%. The fact that the hung around and had a chance to win was amazing in itself. UC continues to hurt themselves with spells of poor shot selection and just standing around on the offensive end.

On a side note, was I the only one happy to see Mick get the Technical last night. I always thought that he was not vocal enough to the officials. It really seemed to get the team fired up, and it was kind of funny watching his assistant who is twice his size hold him back.
    UC did play hard last night but Mick put the team at a disadvantage. You can't give away minutes of a basketball game by having poor players on the court. You just can't win games when players like Thomas, Davis, Wright get important minutes on the court. You can't win games when Bishop thinks hes a 3 point shooter.

Teams are too good in the Big East and UC's depth isn't that good to warrant going 10-11 players deep on a given night. So that is where I think Mick screwed up last night. Keeping Davis, Thomas, Toyloy, and Wright on the court at the same time.

Cats have played well the last two games, too bad they were against top 10 teams. Play like this earlier in the year and you don't have to win these games...there is still a small glimmer of hope if they can beat Georgetown then win 2-3 games in the BE tourney. Otherwise it looks like NIT.

After watching the 'Cats play Maryland, Vanderbilt and Gonzaga out in Maui, did anyone think this team would be grasping at NIT straws come March? I certainly didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    UC did play hard last night but Mick put the team at a disadvantage. You can't give away minutes of a basketball game by having poor players on the court. You just can't win games when players like Thomas, Davis, Wright get important minutes on the court. You can't win games when Bishop thinks hes a 3 point shooter.

Teams are too good in the Big East and UC's depth isn't that good to warrant going 10-11 players deep on a given night. So that is where I think Mick screwed up last night. Keeping Davis, Thomas, Toyloy, and Wright on the court at the same time.

I will agree that Mick's substitution patterns are mind boggling. Davis has no business being on the floor for as long as he has been this year. Toyloy has stretches of usefulness, but is mostly just a big body to clog the middle with very little actual skill it would seem. Thomas is useful as a complement to Gates when Gates is on the floor, but I'd rather see Bishop out there. Wright has been about as inconsistent as anyone on the team and really has only shown flashes of what he was said to be.

IMO, there are three players that you have to concentrate on with UC. Vaughn, Gates, and of course Stephenson. I don't think there is any excuse not to have at least two of those three on the floor at the same time for 38-40 minutes a game. I'm sorry, but no combination on this team will make up for the lack of two of those three at the same time.

Having said that, I really don't think that substitutions were the reason they lost the Nova game. They could've beat Marquette with Gates playing some of those final 12 minutes though.

Really, I think Micks biggest problems are that he doesn't seem to coach in a style that fits his team. He coaches like they are a team that can go 9-10 deep. The way I see it, they have 6 players who can give you quality minutes. There are maybe 3-4 who can come off the bench and give you some positives from time to time, but they aren't players who should be out there more than a couple minutes at a time.

All in all, this was a long post to say I mostly agree with you on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    IMO, there are three players that you have to concentrate on with UC. Vaughn, Gates, and of course Stephenson. I don't think there is any excuse not to have at least two of those three on the floor at the same time for 38-40 minutes a game. I'm sorry, but no combination on this team will make up for the lack of two of those three at the same time.
    Couldn't agree more with you here. Vaughn, Gates and Stephenson need to play 35+ minutes a game barring foul trouble. Any college regular should be able to play those amounts of minutes. Heck OSU goes 6 deep and are rather successful in doing so. There are simple things to do to give players rest without losing court time. Sit them down before the TV TO's is something that Mick doesn't use.

Having said that, I really don't think that substitutions were the reason they lost the Nova game. They could've beat Marquette with Gates playing some of those final 12 minutes though.
    What I saw in the Nova games was at least 7 dead minutes having only one good player on the court. That is an eternity in a college basketball game. You can't give a good team and a heck of a coach that amount of PT with a poor lineup on the court.

The Marquette game was tough because Mick had an advantage, no one could guard Gates, and he sat him at the end because Gates didn't match up well with Marquette. Hey Mick, create your own mismatches, not vice versa.

Really, I think Micks biggest problems are that he doesn't seem to coach in a style that fits his team. He coaches like they are a team that can go 9-10 deep. The way I see it, they have 6 players who can give you quality minutes. There are maybe 3-4 who can come off the bench and give you some positives from time to time, but they aren't players who should be out there more than a couple minutes at a time.
    Yep. I do think Mick has some other personal problems that aren't his making. Gates is unmotivated, Vaughn has had a poor senior season, and Bishop thinks he is a 3 point shooter. Stephenson is a freshman, has had his freshman struggles, but needs to see the court much more. You don't learn by sitting on the bench. His needs to play and needs to experience the growing pains. He is the one true player that has difference making ability.

All in all, this was a long post to say I mostly agree with you on this issue.

As ugly a 20 minutes of basketball as you will likely ever see. How do they bring back Mick now? Seriously. Is Mike Thomas watching this? Aside from Lance Stephenson do you see any heart or hustle or skill? Why Lance would want to come back and subject himself to another year of this nonsense is a mystery. A (likely) first-round loss in the BET and not even the NIT is going to come calling. An opening-game loss in the BET would mean the Cats dropped 9 of their last 12. Mick's late-season freefalls continue unabated. Please put Cronin's coaching career out of its misery. I think at this point is it even relevant that he can semi-recruit? He simply can't coach anyone up.

Turn Off Ads?