Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

Becoming a lasting player in the NBA as a 2nd round choice is an uphill battle.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Becoming a lasting player in the NBA as a 2nd round choice is an uphill battle.
    Probably going through the NBDL or Europe -- either way, he's getting paid something. Money is money, I suppose.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The NBDL guys don't make much. Less than 50k unless they're under contract and sent down. Europe money is nothing to sneeze at, however. But, a lot of foreign teams pay very incentive-based contracts. There's a guy from Middletown and Wright State named Bill Edwards who had one great year and it happened to coincide with a year his team won a Euro championship and he said he made enough that one season to retire on. And he lives quite nicely nowadays.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It's probably easier than transferring. I don't see how staying an extra year or two under Cronin's coaching staff benefits him.

Yea big blow to UC.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yea big blow to UC.
    Huge blow. More or less removes any chance for UC to make the NCAA next year (unless it's expanded to 96).

Looking more and more like UC should have just gotten it over with, and fired Cronin after this season.

Big mistake by Lance Stephenson. He was nowhere the player his press made him out to be. Playing for Cronin didn't help.

And a bigger mistake to hire an agent. He should go through the draft process and see where he lands and then make a decision.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Kind of makes you wonder is he has the grades to stay in school. Dontonio Wingfield had to go pro because he wasn't going to class. When these kids come to school thinking it's one and done, they don't care about passing classes

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder is he has the grades to stay in school. Dontonio Wingfield had to go pro because he wasn't going to class. When these kids come to school thinking it's one and done, they don't care about passing classes
    Lance had a 3.6 last quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Lance had a 3.6 last quarter.
    Good for him. I hope he continued his bookwork

Hard for me to get upset at Lance for leaving at this point. He has said that having a young daughter (2 yrs. old) was a big factor in wanting to get paid while developing instead of playing college basketball. He may only make a little next season, but he will make more than he gets playing at UC. Hope he has a great career wherever he ends up. Hopefully Mick can pull in some good players for next season because he is gonna need them.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 04-09-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Hard for me to get upset at Lance for leaving at this point. He has said that having a young daughter (2 yrs. old) was a big factor in wanting to get paid while developing instead of playing college basketball. He may only make a little next season, but he will more than he gets playing at UC. Hope he has a great career wherever he ends up.
    I agree with this. Paul Dehner's cnati.com story on Deonta Vaughn earlier this year really brought home the off-the-court challenges a lot of these guys face. Someone like Jordan Crawford or Chris Wright can be more deliberate in this decision because they have no immediate financial worries.

I'm an XU fan but watched a lot of UC down the stretch. When Cronin unleashed Stephenson at MSG and basically ran the LeBron offense at the end of the UofL and WVU games there was no one on the court that could keep him from getting to the rim. But during the NIT it looked like he was switched off. Hopefully the dude can get his head in the right place this offseason and, if he's not drafted into a good situation, go overseas, bank some money, and build up a reputation for a return to the States in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Hard for me to get upset at Lance for leaving at this point. He has said that having a young daughter (2 yrs. old) was a big factor in wanting to get paid while developing instead of playing college basketball. He may only make a little next season, but he will make more than he gets playing at UC. Hope he has a great career wherever he ends up. Hopefully Mick can pull in some good players for next season because he is gonna need them.
    It is a very, very shortsighted decision. I grew up middle class and I can say that money has never been an issue with me. I really have no insight on Lance's life and don't know how to relate to his life. But I do know this, in watching Lance's game he isn't ready. He is no where near close to being ready. He is making this decision a short term monetarily gain without looking at the entire picture. He is a guy who doesn't have an outside shot, doesn't handle the ball all that well, and was taken out of the college game for long periods of time. If he would have stayed, worked on his game, especially his outside shot and mid range shot he could have been maybe a lottery pick, probably a top 20 pick, and pretty much guaranteed a 1st rounder. Instead he is likely to go in the 2nd or undrafted. He is bypassing a couple of million dollars to make money now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It is a very, very shortsighted decision. I grew up middle class and I can say that money has never been an issue with me. I really have no insight on Lance's life and don't know how to relate to his life. But I do know this, in watching Lance's game he isn't ready. He is no where near close to being ready. He is making this decision a short term monetarily gain without looking at the entire picture. He is a guy who doesn't have an outside shot, doesn't handle the ball all that well, and was taken out of the college game for long periods of time. If he would have stayed, worked on his game, especially his outside shot and mid range shot he could have been maybe a lottery pick, probably a top 20 pick, and pretty much guaranteed a 1st rounder. Instead he is likely to go in the 2nd or undrafted. He is bypassing a couple of million dollars to make money now.
    I do agree that one more year of college basketball could pay of huge for him in the future. He will be drafted, however not as high as he could be given another year to develope in college. He has NBA ability, but hasn't been able to harness it quite yet. He could be in a long struggle to get to the NBA and never realise his dream.

However, I do not think I can say he is making a mistake. Like you I don't know the circumstances he is under. As fans we can say he shouldn't go and he isn't ready, but we can't say he is making the wrong decision IMO because we just don't know. I respect the decision he made, especially if it is made because he feels the responsibility to support his young daughter. Lance seemed like a good kid and I wish him nothing but the best. Thats all I'm saying.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You have to wonder if he would really benefit from another year though. Cronin's track record of developing players is absymal. If next season was just another repeat of this one, he wouldn't improve his draft status all that much.

Cronin's offense, if you want to call it that, doesn't really favor Lance's style of play either. Half the time when he started to play well, Cronin would bench him for some stupid reason.

I'm a UC fan, so I wanted to say, but I get why he didn't. Cronin probably gets fired after next year, the incoming recruiting class is pretty pathetic for Big East standards. As the team stands now, they will be lucky to in 5 Big East games next season, if that.

Turn Off Ads?