Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball

Re: UC Basketball

14-7 and 4-4. Were gonna be just fine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Huge win baby! Man this feels good. Hopefully this gives these guys some momentum and confidence.

By the time I found this out it was too late, but if you are a UC student you can watch ESPN360. You have to download VPN software and connect to UC's VPN. My brother goes to UC and logged on here. It actually worked pretty well. Just for future reference, just invite a UC student over to watch the game with you. It should also work for students at any major college or university.

Here's the remainder of the schedule. I want six more regular season Big East wins, then at least one Big East tournament win. That'd give us 11 Big East wins and 21 overall wins while also putting us right in the thick of a NCAA berth.

@ Villanova
    vs. Notre Dame
    @ Georgetown
    vs. St. John's
    @ Pittsburgh
    vs. Louisville
    vs. West Virginia
    @ Syracuse
    @ South Florida
    vs. Seton Hall

If UC can play well in the three games against St. John's, South Florida and Seton Hall, they should pick up three victories there. That means they'd need to go 3-4 against the higher powered Big East teams, with three of those games (Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia) at home. Notre Dame looks very beatable, especially since it'd be at home. And we know UC will be fired up for the Louisville and West Virginia games.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Here's the remainder of the schedule. I want six more regular season Big East wins, then at least one Big East tournament win. That'd give us 11 Big East wins and 21 overall wins while also putting us right in the thick of a NCAA berth.

@ Villanova
    vs. Notre Dame
    @ Georgetown
    vs. St. John's
    @ Pittsburgh
    vs. Louisville
    vs. West Virginia
    @ Syracuse
    @ South Florida
    vs. Seton Hall

If UC can play well in the three games against St. John's, South Florida and Seton Hall, they should pick up three victories there. That means they'd need to go 3-4 against the higher powered Big East teams, with three of those games (Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia) at home. Notre Dame looks very beatable, especially since it'd be at home. And we know UC will be fired up for the Louisville and West Virginia games.
    Remember that Notre Dame is at US Bank, not 5/3 Arena. It's got much less home court advantage.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Remember that Notre Dame is at US Bank, not 5/3 Arena. It's got much less home court advantage.
    Really?!? Wow, that was a terrible decision.

Luckily, Notre Dame is generally pretty bad anywhere but South Bend.

Way to go UC!

BTW, what's happened to Georgetown of late?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Really?!? Wow, that was a terrible decision.

Luckily, Notre Dame is generally pretty bad anywhere but South Bend.
    Yeah, it really is a horrible decision. I'm not completely opposed to playing one game a year downtown, but the Notre Dame game makes no sense. You've got a likely NCAA tourney team that struggles on the road and UC reduces their home-court advantage. It's a head-scratcher to be sure.

But anyways, excellent win tonight. It's wins like these that slowly turn the fortunes of a basketball program. I think it's time that Mick receives some deserved credit. IMO, UC is now a bubble team. They're still on the outside looking in, but they're starting to enter the discussion. With a young team, I think that's all that could realistically be hoped for at this point.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yeah, it really is a horrible decision. I'm not completely opposed to playing one game a year downtown, but the Notre Dame game makes no sense. You've got a likely NCAA tourney team that struggles on the road and UC reduces their home-court advantage. It's a head-scratcher to be sure.

But anyways, excellent win tonight. It's wins like these that slowly turn the fortunes of a basketball program. I think it's time that Mick receives some deserved credit. IMO, UC is now a bubble team. They're still on the outside looking in, but they're starting to enter the discussion. With a young team, I think that's all that could realistically be hoped for at this point.
    It's a deal UC has with US Bank. From what I understand US Bank gets to pick the game, and typically they pick Miami due to the interest for both schools in the area. I don't think they can pick the Xavier game or Louisville, so they chose Notre Dame since there is a decent amount of Notre Dame fans in Cincinnati.

They should not be able to pick a conference game. That is just putting yourself at an unfair comptetive disadvantage unnecessarily.

I have watched quite a bit of UC basketball this season and I have noticed something as of late. UC doesn't have that explosive player. They don't have that player who can explode off the floor for a huge dunk. They don't have the player who on a breakout can energize the fans by a big dunk. They don't have a player who will make a sportscenter top 10 type play.

This is really the first UC team (excluding the Cronin Juco teams) that doesn't have a highlight type player in as long as I can remember. They don't seem to have a player who is quick off the ground. A player who has quick feet on defensive to get into the passing lanes. They don't have a player who can come from the weak side and block a basketball 10 rows into the stands. I have started watching a log of college basketball (other than UC and OSU) and have begun to notice the lack in explosiveness that plagues UC. Anyone else notice this?

From all accounts, Darnell Wilks can jump through the roof. He just doesn't see the court much because he's so raw as a player.

Assuming he sticks around, I think Yancy Gates will be the kind of player you're describing.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Lucky for us games are decided by the final score... not the number of dunks or top ten plays they have. I agree with the fact that the defense isn't quite what it used to be, but that was more of a Huggins trait than anything.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Very nice, Cats.

A little under halfway through the Big East schedule, and UC stands at .500 in THIS conference...

I would have taken that and ran with it at the beginning of the season. Let's see what they can do with it

As bad as they've looked at times this year, they've made progress.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-29-2009 at 03:27 PM.

I think there are players on UC's team that offer different types of explosiveness. Deonta can be explosive from behind the 3 point line, as well as Dixon recently. I thought Alvin Mitchell lit a fire in UC yesterday. Gates shows flashes of what he can be which is very explosive. Wilks definately can add excitment in small bursts. Sure, there isn't a Hicks type player, but I think that is what Gates can be. You can only expect on Kenyon Martin in a great while.

It might actually benefit UC to not have that explosive player right now. They need to rely on consistency rather than wait on that explosive play. Mike Williams is a good example IMO. He isn't "explosive," but he is very consistent recently. If something bad happens or if the other team has an explosive play, he can slow momentum by making a mid range jumper. Young teams tend to play out of control when emotions get involved. Especially when they have a hard enough time with ball control.

Turn Off Ads?