Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coco Crisp Traded To The Royals

Re: Coco Crisp Traded To The Royals

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Crazy times. The good news is that league revenues are so strong that everyone can be a buyer (if not a mega-buyer).

So are the Sox going to deal for Jake Peavy? That's my working guess.
    No, I haven't heard a thing about them going anywhere near Peavy, and since Kevin Towers never shuts up about anything, if they were in on him, we'd probably know it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Shoot. Wasn't Coco formerly on the list of players the Reds should acquire?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    But they're not mounting.
    Yeah, it's just five of the last eight seasons, not a significant number.

I don't disagree with you that he could post a .780 OPS vs. RHPs. Or better. Or worse. All I'm saying is that he profiles as volatile.

If the Reds could pick him in a reasonable deal, I'd be all for it and I'd hope for the upside.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm looking to acquire player talent, not player roles.

Most good teams try to make sure that they have some balance. Righty and lefty pitching, righty and lefty hitting, defense at key positions.

If you are in the market for major league players for your 25 man roster, and have a wide choice of possible acquisition targets, you might as well try to acquire players in areas where you need them.

I agree that cultivating young prospects, yes, position should be secondary, handedness should be secondary. But at the major league level, filling out a roster, you need to focus on balance for the roster.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-19-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Yet more to the point, the Reds need multi-faceted players no matter what side of the plate they hit from.
    Exactly. I'd go so far as to say that the Reds need to add talent at any position that the opportunity presents itself.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Let me ask you this.....would you have traded Jared Burton for Coco?
    I think that's a tough question.

The real downside I see is that Crisp is closer to FA.

But if keeping Crisp here would not be a problem, I'd probably do it.

In the Affeldt thread, people defended letting him walk by saying relief pitching is so unpredictable/mercurial. Couldn't the same logic be applied to Burton? Burton has talent, no doubt about that, but will he still be reliable when the Reds are ready to contend again (maybe 3 years down the road?)

I really think that Crisp in the OF vs what we have now would help us more than Burton in the pen for the next few years. Part of that is because we have no legit CF. If Dickerson is legit, he can play LF.

I don't think Burton-Crisp should be dismissed so quickly, especially when you look longterm. It should be easier to find a reliable reliever than a quality starting CF.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

If you can get DeJesus to play LF and hit in the #1 or #2 hole you have done pretty well IMO. LH or not he's a big time asset and underappreciated just a tad in KC.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Right now the Reds have got an OF of Bruce, Dickerson (who is no sure thing) and ???.

If you pick up Dejesus, that protects against cataclysm if Dickerson turns out to be a flash in the pan. Plus, Dickerson/Dejesus/Bruce could cover some ground.

Maybe the plan is to go for a big corner OF bat, in which case obviously Dejesus isn't the right fit, but I like his game and the Reds would be hard-pressed to land a better player in the OF this season.
    I realize Dickerson's no sure thing, but I'd roll the dice and keep my eyes open for a bigger bat.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Exactly. I'd go so far as to say that the Reds need to add talent at any position that the opportunity presents itself.
    That's basically my take. Does Dejesus fit the profile of the general kind of player I'm looking for (e.g. multiple skills)? Yes he does.

I can see taking the stance that you've got your sites set on something bigger in the OF, but I remain skeptical the Reds will acquire an OF better than Dejesus when the dust settles.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

That's basically my take. Does Dejesus fit the profile of the general kind of player I'm looking for (e.g. multiple skills)? Yes he does.

I can see taking the stance that you've got your sites set on something bigger in the OF, but I remain skeptical the Reds will acquire an OF better than Dejesus when the dust settles.
    I see two holes in the OF. I don't really think the Reds have that much confidence in Dickerson.

I see no problem with getting a guy like Dejesus and then if something better comes around, pouncing on that too.

I don't want the Reds to wait around for the perfect acquision. (I know you don't either). A lot of holes to fill, not much to trade. We can't be too picky. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

And Todd Frazier, RH bat, should arrive around the same time as Alonso. Drew Stubbs - RH bat. Chris Valaika - RH bat.

The Reds should be after good players, not trying to fix problems they don't have and perhaps never will.

Amen, Brother!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Most good teams try to make sure that they have some balance. Righty and lefty pitching, righty and lefty hitting, defense at key positions.

If you are in the market for major league players for your 25 man roster, and have a wide choice of possible acquisition targets, you might as well try to acquire players in areas where you need them.

I agree that cultivating young prospects, yes, position should be secondary, handedness should be secondary. But at the major league level, filling out a roster, you need to focus on balance for the roster.
    And...... that's where the train stopped moving...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

And Todd Frazier, RH bat, should arrive around the same time as Alonso. Drew Stubbs - RH bat. Chris Valaika - RH bat.

The Reds should be after good players, not trying to fix problems they don't have and perhaps never will.
    RedsManRick has mentioned this numerous times in the offseason.

The Reds need talent.

That talent doesn't need a specific position. Just increase the overall talent on the Reds.

Coco Crisp would have been some talent to add to the Reds, especially given the peanuts and a foam finger return the Red Sox got for him...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Let me ask you this.....would you have traded Jared Burton for Coco?
    No.

Has this been posted yet?

per mlbtraderumors:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty says that his team nearly settled on a deal for Coco Crisp, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "We were close," Jocketty said, although specific pieces aren't mentioned in the article. It'd be interesting to know what the Reds were offering considering the Red Sox received pitching help in exchange for Crisp.

The same article lists upgrading the bullpen as a focus of the Reds' offseason plans. Jocketty has been in touch with the agents of David Weathers and Mike Lincoln, but doesn't expect to sign anyone soon.

Jocketty also talks about being surprised by how quickly reliever Jeremy Affeldt signed a deal. However, the article also points out that Affeldt wasn't signed until January 23rd this past offseason.

Turn Off Ads?