Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coco Crisp Traded To The Royals

Re: Coco Crisp Traded To The Royals

Another CF the Reds were targeting. They must not like Chris Dickerson.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Another CF the Reds were targeting. They must not like Chris Dickerson.
    They must be smart then.

Dickerson is a 4th OF who unfortunately will get too much playing time for a bad team. He's a great defender, which is something we can definitely use, but I agree with those who feel that Dickerson is a flash in the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    They must be smart then.

Dickerson is a 4th OF who unfortunately will get too much playing time for a bad team. He's a great defender, which is something we can definitely use, but I agree with those who feel that Dickerson is a flash in the pan.
    And yet if I recall correctly, didn't you love Chris Denorfia?
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    And yet if I recall correctly, didn't you love Chris Denorfia?
    I love Dickerson too, but I thought Denorfia was better while in the minors, and I still cling to the hope that Denorfia will have a better MLB.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I see Dickerson and Hanigan kind of in the same light... they *could* be excellent contributors, because they have some skills, they've had plenty of minor-league seasoning and they're coming in just about when you'd expect them to start peaking. At the same time, guys with serious talent usually don't spend that long in the minors, so they probably have deficiencies that might be exposed. Hedge the bets, is what I'm getting at here. Give them the opportunity to win a job but don't put the team in a position where we don't have a recourse if they're OPSing .600 in May. This particularly applies to Hanigan, since a team really needs two catchers anyway.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I love Dickerson too, but I thought Denorfia was better while in the minors, and I still cling to the hope that Denorfia will have a better MLB.
    I'll take you up on that bet. Denorfia is already 28 years old and only managed a .755 OPS in the hitter friendly Pacific Coast League this past season. Meanwhile, Dickerson put up a .863 OPS in the International League and then a 1.021 OPS with the Reds in 102 atbats. I think Dickerson could put together a few solid years in the .800ish OPS range while playing plus defense.

I'm kind of on the fence regarding Coco Crisp. The +/- system has Crisp all over the board the last three years: -7 in 2006, +26 in 2007, and -2 in 2008 as a CF. He was great in 2007, but below average in '06 and slightly below in '08. His offense has also gone south since his strong 2005 season. In the last three years he's posted OPS's of .702, .712, and .751. I wouldn't have minded picking him up for peanuts, but I wouldn't have traded a Jared Burton or our own Ramon Ramirez for him.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Fay

General manager Walt Jocketty thought he might be able to swing a deal that would have brought outfielder Coco Crisp to Reds. Crisp, instead, was traded from Boston to Kansas City Wednesday.

"We were close," he said. "I thought we had a shot. Obviously, it didn't happen."

Crisp, a switch-hitter who can play center field, would have fit nicely for Reds. He hit .283 with a .344 on-base percentage in the 118 games for the Red Sox.

Also from Jocketty:

--He said he was somewhat surprised that left-hander Jeremy Affedlt signed so quickly with San Francisco. The Reds had to talked to Affeldt about returning. "I was a little surprised," Jocketty said. "But knowing what happened to him last year . . . and he was offered a lot of money." Affeldt didn't sign until Jan. 23 last year.

--The Reds have talked agents for some of the available free agents. Jocketty wouldn't say which ones. But don't expect any quick signings. "Right now, everyone is asking for the moon," he said.

--The Reds have been in contract with the agents for David Weathers, Mike Lincoln and Jerry Hairston Jr. since free agency opened up Friday. But no deals are in the immediate offing.

--With Affeldt gone and Weathers and Lincoln looking around, adding bullpen help is a new focus. Jocketty said the Reds are looking at free agents at well as trade possibilities.

--The contracts of pro scouts Ross Sapp and Jim Thrift were not renewed. Jocketty hired three top-level people last week.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

I can at least say that this is a sign that Walt's targeting players that make sense.

It's somewhat refreshing, and it will be interesting to see where things end up.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you upgrade Mr. Encarnacion with a better righty hitter, say Beltre, then you've accomplished the goal. I didn't say the Reds need multiple righty hitters for every position. Just one major guy for the middle of the lineup.

He can be someone added for left field. Or, he can replace EE at third. Either way works for me.

Once the Reds add this righty bat, they can add Dejesus or anyone else they want to fill other needs, sure. At that point, I just want all around good players.
    Ummm, Mr. Encarnacion is a much smarter bet than Beltre to give you better performance at the plate both now and in the future.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-19-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jocketty also seems to be keeping things close to the vest. I don't recall seeing the Reds in the mix on the rumor sites...I happen to like that approach. I also have more confidence that Walt using this approach will lead to results that the Reds weren't getting before...

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Jocketty better get on it. From CNNSI via the Chicago Tribune.

Ryan Dempster's signing makes the Cubs' starting rotation five veterans deep and seems to free GM Jim Hendry to get serious about adding a left-handed bat to the lineup. Free agents Raul Ibanez and Bobby Abreu have been mentioned, but don't be surprised if Hendry instead adds a lesser hitter with more flexibility, such as the Kansas City Royals' Mark Teahen. According to major league sources, Hendry spoke to the Royals' Dayton Moore about Teahen and David DeJesus at the general managers' meetings two weeks ago. Since then Hendry has concentrated on re-signing Dempster -- accomplished Tuesday -- or trading for Jake Peavy, putting other matters on the back burner. But sources indicate the Cubs-Royals talks will heat up with Dempster's deal done. DeJesus would not be moved cheaply, but sources hinted the Cubs could get the 27-year-old Teahen for a package built around either Felix Pie or one of two young infielders, Mike Fontenot and Ronny Cedeno.
    For Pie, Cedeno or Fontenot? Please Walt get DeJesus and keep him from them. Now would be the perfect time to put together a Stubbs, Bailey, Roenicke + Francisco/Turner deal for Greinke and DeJesus. I would then flip Greinke to Texas for a package with Andrus heading it, if they balk at that I go to Atlanta with Arroyo for Escobar + a prospect.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-20-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I guess this little piece isn't much but this seems like as good a place as any to put it, a potential Red Sox deal. Also via CNNSI.

The Tigers are contemplating a deal with Boston to send either Nate Robertson or Dontrelle Willis for Julio Lugo, but some money issues must be resolved.

Boston Globe
    Boston dumps Crisp and Lugo just like they wanted too. But they would have to be smoking something to take on Willis.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    The Reds get far more AB/PA against right handed pitching. The Reds need batters that can get on base against right handed pitching. I donít understand the lone habitual cry in the media for a right handed batter vs obtaining batters that can get on base against right handed pitching.
    It's like people just see Votto and Bruce's names and don't even pay attention to the splits. I've been saying we need a LH bat for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I guess this little piece isn't much but this seems like as good a place as any to put it, a potential Red Sox deal. Also via CNNSI.

Boston dumps Crisp and Lugo just like they wanted too. But they would have to be smoking something to take on Willis.
    That rumor's been kicking around since before the season even ended. You have to figure that neither team is exactly eager to make it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Rotoworld guesses Roenicke was the one Jocketty attempted to deal for Crisp.

The Reds believed they were close to pulling off a deal for Coco Crisp before the Royals acquired him from the Red Sox.

No word on what they offered, but given their lack of depth elsewhere and Boston's desire for a reliever, we wouldn't be surprised to learn that right-hander Josh Roenicke was the bait. That the Reds were after Crisp suggests they're not sold on Chris Dickerson as their regular center fielder. They could still try for free agents Jim Edmonds and Mark Kotsay.

Turn Off Ads?