Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chiefs fire Edwards; Shanahan next?

Chiefs fire Edwards; Shanahan next?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

Chiefs fire Edwards; Shanahan next?
    Friday, January 23, 2009 ESPN.com news services

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.

Edwards was 15-34 in three seasons with the Chiefs, including 2-14 this season. He had one year remaining on his original four-year, $12 million contract.

"On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a team statement. "After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

"This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reports the Chiefs have targeted former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan to replace Edwards as their next coach, according to league sources.

One source claims there have been negotiations with Shanahan and that a deal was near but another said Chiefs owner Clark Hunt has targeted Shanahan without a clear-cut result. Shanahan could not be reached for comment and has not responded to text message inquiries. A Chiefs spokesman had no comment.

An NBC-TV affiliate in Kansas City reported Shanahan as a possibility at midweek but a team source and a source close to Shanahan either denied or downplayed the story.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network, who once covered the Broncos and co-authored a book with Shanahan, is reporting that there is no chance that he will be the next Chiefs coach.

A league official noted that there was "no way" the Chiefs could be negotiating or near a deal with Shanahan because the team must comply with the Rooney Rule that requires interviewing minority candidates. The source said Hunt would be the last owner not to comply.

However, a league source said that Hunt has focused on Shanahan after hiring Scott Pioli as the team's general manager. The source said Hunt did research on the last 19 coaches who have been hired in the NFL and determined their average salary to range between $2 million and $3 million, which would be an acceptable proposal by the NFL Management Council. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen would be obligated to pay the balance of Shanahan's three-year contract at approximately $6.5 million per year.

Edwards' status has been in doubt since Pioli was hired on Jan. 13. Asked at his introductory news conference about Edwards' status, Pioli declined to say.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," Pioli said in a statement. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true -- Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.

"Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days. All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season."

Edwards was 41-44 in five seasons as head coach of the New York Jets, including three trips to the playoffs.

Edwards came to Kansas City from the Jets and made the playoffs in his first season, when the team was 9-7. But he was under fire after the team finished 4-12 in 2007. Team management gave him its support, but expected a run at the playoffs. Instead, the team went 2-14.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the Hunt Family for the opportunity to spend nine seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs," Edwards said. "It has truly been an honor and a privilege to serve as the head coach of 'Lamar's Team' the past three seasons.

"This is going to be a very good football team. The support of Chiefs fans across the country has been tremendous. They are truly passionate about their football team. Chiefs fans will be proud to cheer for this team for many years to come. With the tremendous nucleus of young talent on this roster, I sincerely believe that his team is poised to do great things. I respect the tough decision that was made to move in a new direction. I wish the players and the organization the very best as they move forward."

In Edwards' three seasons in Kansas City, only three teams had worse records: Detroit, Oakland and St. Louis.

Prior to joining the Jets, Edwards spent five seasons serving as assistant head coach/defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working under head coach Tony Dungy. Edwards served as a scout for Kansas City from '90-91 before joining Marty Schottenheimer's staff as defensive backs coach ('92-94).

Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortesen covers the NFL
    Shanahan to a division rival? Wow didn't expect this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chiefs fire Edwards; Shanahan next?

Mort has backed off per Rotoworld. Looks like he was going off misinformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Mort has backed off per Rotoworld. Looks like he was going off misinformation.
    Or his source told him to shut the hell up until the Chiefs brought in a few token minority candidates to interview so they could be in compliance with the "Rooney Rule" when they ultimately hire Shanahan after the Super Bowl.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Pure speculation, but maybe Mortenson just knows that KC really wants Shanahan, and Schefter knows that Shanahan might not want the job.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Does anyone think that teams are firing high payed coaches and hiring first years to save some money?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Does anyone think that teams are firing high payed coaches and hiring first years to save some money?
    They still have the pay the high price coaches they fired. So I dont see how theyre saving anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The NFL's a copycat league. Young guys like Harbaugh and Tomlin have success and other teams start hiring younger coaches too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The NFL's a copycat league. Young guys like Harbaugh and Tomlin have success and other teams start hiring younger coaches too.
    Except our owner. He drafts unknown receivers from Coastal Carolina in the 2nd round.

Turn Off Ads?