Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Re: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Another plus with the UT job is that Javy and all his women attend the games.

Chip this is something I will never understand with college football coaches. Kelly has a job with a BCS team that has an easier route to a BCS Bowl or BCS Championship game. He is well compensated as coach of UC but obviously not as much as he would be as coach of UT. He also is in a low stress situation. While UC football is starting to garner water cooler talk in Cincinnati, it still has a long way to go. Remember his decision to take the safety against WVU instead of punting the ball? That was big for maybe a day in Cincy, down in Knoxville that would be talked about non stop for weeks.

IMO Kelly has a pretty good gig at UC. It isn't the mecca of college football but it also isn't Siberia. He is getting the program established and probably could take UC to a VaTech or Kansas St. type program if he stays. He will be able to dictate his own terms and become the King of Clifton. Down in Knoxville every single move of his will be scrutinized. I guess the biggest question is "Is it worth it?"

You know that's a point a lot of "mid major" basketball coaches are starting to see. Guys like Sean Miller, John Calipari, Brad Stevens(if he stays at Butler), and Mark Few are in a great spot. They now have the cache to be able to recruit on a national level, they play in conferences which for the most part will not challenge them. They can make the tournament every year and really as we saw with Memphis are at no real disadvantage if they want to make a run at the title.

I think it's easier to be "mid-major" in basketball and compete for the Final Four or title though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think that point about whether it's worth it is valid. UT fans, like many major football programs have extremely high expectations for coaches and microscopic amounts of patience. And being the King of Clifton at a BCS school might not be bad, by comparison.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

It's not easier to make a BCS bowl game either. Only one big east team will go and 2 sec teams will make it. At least for the forseeable future.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I don't buy the argument that a Big East team can't make it to the national championship game. WVU was one game away from doing just that last year. Any team that goes undefeated in a BCS conference is likely headed to the national championship game, Big East included.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There is the money thing. UT would probably pay about $3mill/yr, UC about $1mill. $2mill is a lot of jack to leave on the table unless he has his eye on another job. The other issue is with the practice fields. They haven't secured financing yet and if Kelly doesn't see that happening he may want to bail.

Hey, do any of you see this weekend's game vs Pitt having an impact on this decision one way or another? If UC loses, does it help push him to UT or not?
    Another thing to point out, and I will use this as the same argument I used against WVU fans with Rich Rodriguez and Michigan.

Tennessee is one of the top college football jobs in the nation, just like Michigan was last year. While Kelly could do a good job at Cincinnati, he isn't going to get the exposure there nationally that he would with Tennessee. Not only is it better pay, but you are also opening the door to recruits who otherwise would have never considered playing for Kelly if he stays at UC.

It's high risk-high reward for Kelly. He can walk into a better paying job with better tools to recruit better players with loftier expectations, or he can stay at Cincinnati if he feels it's not the best offer or he feels at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I don't buy the argument that a Big East team can't make it to the national championship game. WVU was one game away from doing just that last year. Any team that goes undefeated in a BCS conference is likely headed to the national championship game, Big East included.

It's not impossible, just more difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

At least UC is trying to keep him here. This could be a huge step in the right direction. UC unveiled plans for its new practice dome.

How highly is the local recruitment base ranked? I don't follow that kind of stuff, but it seems to me that there's an awful lot of talent in the tri-state area. Obviously, a national program gets more and better recruits, but it seems like UC could benefit a lot from developing a program that kids from this region want to play for.

I know this doesn't bear on the Kelly to Tennessee question- I'm just curious about the local talent and where they end up going.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Financially speaking the guy who takes the UT job is set for life. He'll get at least $3mill/yr for a couple years and then if he's fired he'll get a nice buyout. Fulmer got a $6mill buyout. Maybe some of you are independently wealthy, but think about that for a moment. If he leaves and says he's doing the right thing for his family, he's speaking the truth.

WLW was reporting yesterday that UC asst coaches are already looking for jobs because they're so certain Kelly is gone to UT. I have mixed emotions because I really like both programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLrDVxGlTM
    Turn up the volume it's kinda quiet.

WLW was reporting yesterday that UC asst coaches are already looking for jobs because they're so certain Kelly is gone to UT. I have mixed emotions because I really like both programs.
    This is the reason why I think the report is bunk. During the last move, Kelly took everyone (minus the new Central Michigan head coach) with him to Cincinnati. He and coach Longo, in particular are tied at the hip. Interestingly, Longo has an independent contract with UC that doesn't expire until after next year. So even if Kelly ran, Longo wouldn't be allowed to go with him.

He's had this coaching staff with him for at least a decade. He's not going to leave them behind.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

WLW was reporting yesterday

Actually, this is the reason why the report is bunk.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Turn up the volume it's kinda quiet.
    "A blogger has a source that Kelly is the front runner"...great. That could be as solid as anyone of us making that announcement

The UC kickoff being pushed back at least 11 minutes for a Boise State-Nevada game is something that doesn't happen at Tennessee or any other big time program in a big time conference. That's not a knock on UC but it's just one of the things Kelly has to take into consideration.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Kelly would be a bad fit at UT imo. They like their coaches genial and jolly. Not to say that he couldnt do a good job there. He very well could. I just do not see it. I keep thinking Mike Leach but he may be too far out for Knoxville and he may not want to leave Lubbock anyway. I'm surprised David Cutcliffe's name is not coming up more.
    I wouldnt exactly call General Fulmer jolly!! cutcliffe came up a bunch and said he wouldnt leave Duke

Turn Off Ads?