Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    "My name has come out with virtually every job that's out there," Kelly said. "I'm hoping very soon Obama mentions my name as ambassadorship to Ireland, that would be nice. That may continue to happen, but I can tell you that I'm going to be at the University of Cincinnati."
    Well, at least he could do the ambassador stuff during the offseason, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm just wondering if he started the meeting by telling Brian Kelly: "Hello, I'm Jeff Wyler."
    We can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Getting back to Kiffin, it looks like Spurrier is accusing him of poaching his recruits.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

I would certainly hope this guy would go after any and all recruits at this point. That's how the game is played. They're not "his" recruits until signing day.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Though I feel compelled to point out, admist these reassurances by Kelly, that college football head coaches usually have about as much credibility as Baghdad Bob when they insist, over and over again, their intentions to stay in their current job.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I really like the talk of expanding Nippert. Trahan architects did a design a few years ago that looks very good. I don't know when the construction may start, or even when it will be finalized. I'm hopeful something starts this offseason though.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm absolutely giddy right now.

Reading over some stuff, it looks like a different team will handle the design for the Nippert expansion. So it will probably look different than the Trahan design when it's all said and done.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'm absolutely giddy right now.

Reading over some stuff, it looks like a different team will handle the design for the Nippert expansion. So it will probably look different than the Trahan design when it's all said and done.
    This is huge news for us. I went to four games this year (three home, one away), and I'm now seriously considering grabbing a season ticket package as well as tossing in another road game next season.

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/bl...120208aaa.html

Dec. 2, 2008

(12:40 p.m.): Brian Kelly made a strong statement today regarding his future at UC. In essence, he says he's staying. This, after a meeting this morning with school president Nancy Zimpher, chairman of the board of trustees Jeff Wyler, athletic director Mike Thomas and Kelly to discuss the future infrastructure of the Bearcats program.

"I am here to tell you that I am committed to the University of Cincinnati," BK said at his weekly news conference. "I can tell you my name is always going to be out there and we're flattered about that. There's no question my family and I have made a decision that Cincinnati is going to be where we are."

I asked if he was saying he wasn't going to entertain any offers after the regular season.

"My intention as I stand in front of you right now, I want to coach this football team," BK said. "After today's meeting, I feel great about having that laid out in front of me. I'm going to be the football coach at the university. Right now and into the future."

Yeah, but what about the Notre Dame job to which you've been linked? What happens if that comes open?

"All I can say is with all the speculation and all the jobs that have been out there, sooner or later, no means no," BK said. "I don't want to ever speak in terms of forever and ever, what I can tell you is there's been a lot of interest in my services. I went to be here in the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons. My wife and kids love it here. I've got great people to work with. It's a really good situation. It's only going to get better. For the present and future, I expect to be here at the University of Cincinnati coaching football."

UPDATE (2:22 p.m.):

Mike Thomas was the first to address us this afternoon, and he talked about the expansion of Nippert Stadium (UC is studying the issue and coming up with a plan to get it done), new practice facilities (on track to be completed by next year, as per BK’s contract) and more money for the football program’s operational budget.

Let’s shoot it over to Mike Thomas for comment.

“This (practice field) is important for the day-to-day success of our program but also for the quality experience of our student-athletes,” Thomas said. “That’s a basic 101 type opportunity we should provide our coaches and student athletes. No. 2, there are some things operationally within (BK’s) budget that allow him to continue to be successful and competitive and to provide a quality experience for our student-athletes. Those things are going to happen. They will be in the plan for this fiscal year or next year, based on what’s really needed.

“The third piece is important, and it’s Nippert Stadium. Nippert Stadium has always been to some extent a facility that needs to be addressed. We were in the midst of a capital campaign, and Nippert Stadium was in the capital campaign. We really needed a trigger moment to launch that thing. Right now, we really have an infrastructure that can’t accommodate 35,000 people, let alone adding additional seats, premium seats, club seats, and dealing with infrastructure as it relates to restrooms and concession stands and merchandise stands. We needed certainly to have that as part of the agenda. I’m very comfortable as it relates to where that sits.”

Thomas doesn’t know how much the stadium will expand or how much it will cost. He said he wasn’t comfortable in disclosing a ballpark figure for either. But he went on to say he had architects studying Nippert during the Pitt game, because Thomas wanted them to see the stadium at its most stressed. From there, UC will receive cost estimates. What UC would like to do: add seats, build club seats and luxury boxes (that will help pay for the costs of the expansion and will continue to provide the school a source of income), and possibly expanding concourses and adding restrooms/merchandise stands/concession stands. From there, you start raising money to pay for it all.

Sounds like a visit or two to Paul Brown Stadium also still is in the cards, especially if construction at Nippert becomes an issue.

BK seemed happy about everything.

“Leaders need to be energized,” BK said. “As I’m out there as the face for this football program, I, too, need the gas to run. Today my tank was filled. It was filled because the message was reinforced today. It was given to me two years ago when I took the job here, the commitment to excellence and academics and athletics. That was not made any more clearly than in the meeting I had this morning with President Zimpher and allows me to continue to build this program on a day-to-day basis and into the future.”

Line of the day also goes to BK as he discussed other potential job openings:

“My name has come up with virtually every job that’s been out there. I’m hoping very soon Obama mentions my name for the ambassadorship to Ireland.”

Regarding a new contract for BK, he said he and Thomas had begun discussions. They are not ready to announce anything, although BK alluded to maybe saying something in Hawaii. But it sounds like BK will be in for another raise.

I don’t know, you think he’s earned it?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Here is some future non-conference scheduling information. Huge games are on the non-conference schedule; too bad certain other BCS teams can't follow suit.

9-19 @ Oregon State
    9-26 Fresno State
    TBA @ Miami OH
    TBA SE Missouri State
    TBA Illinois

9-4 @ North Carolina State
    9-11 Miami OH
    9-18 @ Fresno State
    9-25 Oklahoma

9-3 North Carolina State
    9-10 @ Miami OH
    9-17 Akron
    TBA San Diego State

9-8 @ Ohio State
    9-29 @ Miami FL
    TBA Miami OH
    TBA Virginia Tech

TBA Purdue
    TBA @ Miami OH

9-6 @ Ohio State
    TBA @ Purdue
    TBA Miami OH

9-12 Air Force
    TBA Purdue
    TBA @ Miami OH

So far Kelly is good with staying at UC. Doesn't sound like he's swayed to go to Seattle. That's another world out there, but what if Notre Dame cans Weiss and comes calling? That's one job that would be hard for him to pass up.

How'd he get Oklahoma to come to UC in 2010? That's quite a coup. Good for him.

2012 schedule looks brutal

We have a tough home schedule next year. I think all the games, except SE Missouri State will be sellouts. That will really put a strain on the Nip. I know these renovations won't be done, and may not even be started, but it will be great when I don't worry about huge crowds at the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

2012 schedule looks brutal
    That's part of the deal, because we played there this year. Unlike OSU, OU was willing to do a one and one with us. The game will be played at PBS, though.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I guess Ohio State wouldn't...

Home and home with the game earlier this season in Oklahoma. It looks like UC from 2007-10 did an every other year home and home with Oklahoma and Oregon State (home vs. Oregon State in 2007, @ Oregon State in 2009, @ Oklahoma in 2008, home vs. Oklahoma in 2010).

I love that 2012 non-conference schedule. It looks like Ohio State, Miami (FL), and Virginia Tech. THAT is a non-conference schedule right there. THAT is what college football non-conference schedules should look like.

There are rumors that Illinois might be a home and home, though I'm fairly certain the game next year is now locked in with Illinois coming into town. This would mean that the above schedule would also include a road game in Illinois.

There are also other rumors of Georgia finding its way on the schedule. That'd be another coup.

Here's what we have for now though against BCS schools that should be locked up:

2 vs. Ohio State
    2 vs. Purdue
    2 vs. NC State
    1 vs. Miami (FL)
    1 vs. Virginia Tech
    1 vs. Oklahoma
    1 vs. Oregon State

Also, FWIW, Air Force and Fresno State are two of the better high/mid major teams right now. Whether that remains the case in the future is unknown, but they're decent right now.

Turn Off Ads?