Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Re: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    No doubt OSU will schedule a couple small teams every year but they also won't hesitate to take 1 huge game per year vs. whoever is willing to play them.
    OSU's history is to schedule one big game and then schedule 3 games against MAC or div 1AA schools. I'm not impressed. For instance this year OSU is under BCS consideration with two losses and what is their best win? MSU?

A lot of schools could have gone 10-2 against that schedule

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    She deserves a lot of credit that most won't give her.
    A lot of that has to do with Bob Huggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OSU's history is to schedule one big game and then schedule 3 games against MAC or div 1AA schools. I'm not impressed. For instance this year OSU is under BCS consideration with two losses and what is their best win? MSU?

But if you look around the country, most BCS schools usually only schedule one premier non conference game as well (depending on traditional non conference rivalry games).

From this year:

LSU:
    App St.
    Troy
    North Texas
    Tulane

Texas:
    Florida Atlantic
    UTEP
    Arkansas
    Rice

Oklahoma:
    Chattanooga
    Cincinnati
    Washington
    TCU

Alabama:
    Clemson
    Tulane
    Western Kentucky
    Arkansas State

Penn State
    Coastal Carolina
    Oregon St
    Syracuse
    Temple

The problem with OSU's weak schedule isn't weak non-conference teams, it's weak in conference games.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A lot of that has to do with Bob Huggins.
    People need to get over it.

OSU always plays an in-state school because it makes a lot of money for both schools and in recent years have always scheduled a (traditionally) powerful non-conference team. The third game was usually a patsy that most big teams will always get. In the case of the Big 10, a lot of them (all?) play MAC schools because of the regional relationship between the two conference. So OSU ends up sometimes with two MAC schools on the schedule.

The thing with the 1AA schools is that the 12th game rule was added so late for 2007 that some teams had no choice but to schedule 1AA teams because there were no other options. This also is doubly a problem in the Big 10 because the league insists that all conference games are finished by the weekend before Thanksgiving and teams (except Wisconsin) don't schedule non-conference games after the conference slate. Tressel picked YSU for obvious reasons. I don't see any 1AA schools on any future schedules, although the 2010 schedule doesn't have the 12th team yet.

Another thing is schedules are determined so far in advance that you can't necessarily predict what kind of team you're going to get. OSU played a home and home with Washington that was scheduled sometime around the turn of the centry when Washington was a stud team. 7 years and a coaching carousel later and you've got crap on your schedule. It also goes the other way. Teams were scheduling UC years ago because they thought UC was a patsy and an easy win, and UC was happy to get the exposure and the big $$$ for taking their whuppins. Now UC's the real deal and will challenge those VTs and OKs. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some teams reneg on their deal.

Why? Because what do those big teams have to gain for playing UC now? UC is an up and comer (and all props to them) who really have nothing to lose by playing big teams. I'd love to see and year-in year-out game between OSU and UC as a fan, but I also realize that for OSU it does nothing. If OSU wins, it was because they were supposed to. The perception is OSU is king in Ohio and a win doesn't give them anything, it could even hurt them if it's too close. But UC hasn't lost anything by losing (see OK this year) other than a mark in the W column. OSU has the potential to have its season ruined while UC will go on the next week with nothing but game bruises. People are still harping on the 2002 championship OSU team because the UC game was too close. That UC team still won 7 games and went to a bowl, but it doesn't matter in the eyes of the public.

So big teams are going to schedule one other big team for the chance to boost their profile if they win and not fall too far if they lose, and they're going to schedule other teams that they are all but assured of winning. This is the way the college football world works.

Edit: OSU is also in BCS consideration because they travel better than just about any other team. Bowl invites beyond the championship game are more about $$$ than about who's deserving.

Ranked 12th hardest schedule according to collegebcs.com.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Not Tennessee, but Tuberville did get the axe in Auburn.

Someone I am surprised has not been mentioned for any of these high profile jobs is Chris Peterson from Boise State. Guy is a proven winner, beat Oklahoma in a BCS bowl, and is on his way to possibly another BCS game.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Someone I am surprised has not been mentioned for any of these high profile jobs is Chris Peterson from Boise State. Guy is a proven winner, beat Oklahoma in a BCS bowl, and is on his way to possibly another BCS game.
    I remember reading last year that Chris Peterson was waiting for the Oregon job to open up. However, yesterday Oregon named Chip Kelly as the successor to Mike Bellotti when he retires, so Peterson may now be open to other jobs. I agree though, he's a heck of a coach. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington interviews him.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 12-03-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

That really surprises me. He was less deserving of a firing than Fulmer. He'd won 5 out of the last 6 bowl games and was undefeated just 4 years ago. He made a mistake in his hire of an O-coordinator but unlike Fulmer, canned him promptly. This makes me wish UT had waited before hiring Kiffin.

In fact UT screwed this whole firing. They should have waited until after the KY game to announce their coaching decision. First of all the team may have beaten Wyoming and be Bowl eligible right now. Recruits would have been kept on the line and guys like Tuperville would be available. A screwup from start to finish

That really surprises me. He was less deserving of a firing than Fulmer. He'd won 5 out of the last 6 bowl games and was undefeated just 4 years ago. He made a mistake in his hire of an O-coordinator but unlike Fulmer, canned him promptly. This makes me wish UT had waited before hiring Kiffin.

In fact UT screwed this whole firing. They should have waited until after the KY game to announce their coaching decision. First of all the team may have beaten Wyoming and be Bowl eligible right now. Recruits would have been kept on the line and guys like Tuperville would be available. A screwup from start to finish
    Auburn has several boosters that have wanted TT fired since before the NC year. They have finally knocked him off.

Kiffin told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't fit into his offense, running off a premier QB recruit. In the immortal words of Marty Brennamen "How we lookin'?"

Not good.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Auburn has several boosters that have wanted TT fired since before the NC year. They have finally knocked him off.

Kiffin told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't fit into his offense, running off a premier QB recruit. In the immortal words of Marty Brennamen "How we lookin'?"

Not good.
    Why Tajh Boyd was even recruited by Tennessee to begin with, whether it be Lane Kiffin or Phil Fulmer, is beyond me. He is far from a fit in that offense.

Boyd should have stuck with WVU. He could have been Pat White's replacement, and I am nowhere near a WVU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

Not good.
    I consider the Boyd news a blessing. That tells me Kiffin's planning on running a pro set offense. They need Eric Ainge and Peyton Manning QBs, not Pat Whites. They had a RB recruited but has opted out after Fulmer's firing saying he was in search of a pro set offense. Maybe now he'll reconsider UT.

With a pro set they can recruit physical linemen, TEs like Jason Witten and QBs like Carson Palmer. I fear they can't compete with schools like FL if they try to play the same game (spread option)

If Notre Dame cans Weis, you had better believe they will be making a full fledged run at Urban Meyer.

My prediction is that Florida will win it all. If he does that, he has won two national championships there. The family is also older, so I don't believe it will be as big an issue. He has said that Notre Dame is his dream job and with an accomplished resume I believe they will throw a ton of money Meyer's way.

Florida could be the next big job opening.
    Meyer to Notre Dame is what Donnovan was to Kentucky.

Just sayin.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Meyer to Notre Dame is what Donnovan was to Kentucky.

Just sayin.
    Didn't he already turn down that job once before he went to Florida and it eventually went to Weis?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Didn't he already turn down that job once before he went to Florida and it eventually went to Weis?
    Meyer wanted to be able to bring in one "questionable" recruit per year... i.e., a kid with academic/off the field.. WHATEVER issues...

Notre Dame wouldn't budge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?