Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI: Bananas Foster

SI: Bananas Foster

I thought this was a nice BRM story from SI...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...8863/index.htm

November 24, 2008
    Bananas Foster
    An ex-Red surprises his old mates
    Joe Posnanski

THEY ALL signed the Dancing With the Stars petition, though they could not quite believe it. Man, George Foster (right) has changed. This was a reunion of the Big Red Machine—the Cincinnati Reds superteam that won the 1975 and the '76 World Series—and while the other seven core players have aged, they have not changed much.

Pete Rose still hustles, Joe Morgan still dresses sharp, Tony Perez still quietly agitates. Dave Concepcion still takes a good ribbing. Ken Griffey still looks on with that bemused smile, Cesar Geronimo still won't speak unless being interrogated. And Johnny Bench, like always, gets off the line of the night. Everyone was asked about performance-enhancing drugs. Others backed away. Not Johnny.

"I have a two-and-a-half-year-old son," Bench, 61, said. "So I say thank God for performance-enhancing drugs."

Yes, they are all about the same ... save one. In 1975, when Foster first worked his way into the Reds lineup, he was so quiet that, as Rose delicately put it, "he wouldn't say s--- if he had a mouthful." Foster did not drink or smoke and spent much of his free time reading the Bible. He hardly said a word.

"Now," Morgan says, "you can't get the guy to shut up."

Well, that's the truth. The Great Eight—as the players are still known in Cincinnati—gathered in the Queen City last weekend for an autograph show and an exclusive, $2,500-a-plate dinner, and Foster was the loudest of them all. He joked. He clowned. And he danced. He offered a little Rockettes leg-kick dance at the Big Red cocktail party. He did some sort of mashed potato thing at the exclusive dinner.

All weekend he asked people to sign his petition: Foster wants to get on Dancing With the Stars. (The petition can be found at gopetition.com/petitions/george-foster-dancing-with-the-stars.html). "Man, is the world upside down or what?" Bench asks. "What happened to George?"

It's not easy to explain. Foster, who hit 52 home runs and was the NL MVP in 1977, says he feels more comfortable in his own skin. He's had his ups and downs in baseball and in life. "I had to realize that I was as good as anybody," he says.

Foster will turn 60 in December, but he remains at his playing weight, and he believes he can still shake it. He has picked up a few endorsements along the way, including one from pop singer and Cincinnati sports fan Nick Lachey, who was in town to bask in the aura of the Big Red Machine. "George," Bench asked, "can you even dance?" The young Foster would have just quietly taken that. The new Foster had his comeback.

"John," Foster replied, "all brothers can dance."
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI: Bananas Foster

That was really interesting. Thank you for posting that. I got a few laughs from it.

I've had the chance to meet and talk with George in the past. He is a very quiet and humble man. And a hand shake that is a killer.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

LOL that was funny reading.. i wonder if they could put a book or a DVD together about all the jokes they played on each other, the funny one liners.. it would be a riot to read or watch for sure..lol dang i sure miss them days watching them in person play the game hard every night!!

Thanks for posting the article. I just read the article in my copy of Sports Illustrated a few minutes ago and I was thinking of posting a reference to the article with a thread entitled: "Johnny Bench admits to using performance enhancing drugs."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I met George at RedsFest a few years ago and he was very entertaining. He's a funny guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Of all the people that made an impression on me last week at the BRM reunion Foster was the one. He really is in such great shape that he looks like he could still play. He must have a serious workout program he goes thru.

On Saturday he just stood out in the crowd and talked to people that approached him. My wife made the comment that he was a very funny guy. It's funny because during the 70's he had the reputation of being a guy who spoke softly but carried a big stick, that has certainly changed.

He also was probally the most friendly of all the signees that were there. We talked briefly about his Indianapolis Indian days. His voice is also a very distinctive one.

I'd love to see him on "Dancing With the Stars". That is one chic program I could sit thru!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I'd love to see him on "Dancing With the Stars". That is one chic program I could sit thru!!!
    sign the petition everyone, I did!
    Get George Foster on Dancing With the Stars!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The columnist's best line of the entire article is so subtle that I missed it the first time through.

"Pete Rose still hustles."

Assuming there was no running competition at the $2,500/plate soiree, that is classic.
    /r/reds

I'm signer #330. If that's an accurate count, then RedsZone really needs to mobilize and start making a difference!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm signer #330. If that's an accurate count, then RedsZone really needs to mobilize and start making a difference!
    #332 here!

George was my favorite player when I was a kid. Thanks for posting the article, Roy, I enjoyed that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    #326 here. I don't even watch that show but I will if George makes it on.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    #326 here. I don't even watch that show but I will if George makes it on.
    #334. Same here.

I signed the petition.

But I'd rather see him in LF for the 2009 Reds.

Im racking my memory but didn't Foster play in the league they had for former MLB players? It lasted for like a year back in the early 90's .
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?