Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Lowe asking for Zito money

Derek Lowe asking for Zito money

www.mlbtraderumors.com

At worst, he may get 4-year/$64 MM? That still sounds outrageous to me considering his age and expected production. Furthermore, AJ Burnett is only listening to offers of five years or more.

If you ask me, this can only help a guy like Bronson Arroyo's trade value (or value to the Reds.) In my mind, Arroyo compares favorably with those two, yet is considerably cheaper and bears much less risk. I might take a flyer on a guy like Brad Penny or Mark Mulder (if they're willing to sign incentive-laden contracts), and shop Arroyo once Penny and Burnett are off the market. I would think in this current state, he might be able to fetch the Reds exactly what they need- a Yunel Escobar or a Max Ramirez/Elvis Andrus combination.

Additionally, I believe these numbers make Jake Peavy all that much more attractive. I still think the Reds should insert themselves into those negotiations, if not as an acceptable destination for Peavy than at least as a means to obtain Escobar. Surely he could be had without giving up any of Walt's untouchables.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-19-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Derek Lowe asking for Zito money

I bet if you asked the Giants they'd be more then willing to give Lowe Zito's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    www.mlbtraderumors.com

At worst, he may get 4-year/$64 MM? That still sounds outrageous to me considering his age and expected production. Furthermore, AJ Burnett is only listening to offers of five years or more.

If you ask me, this can only help a guy like Bronson Arroyo's trade value (or value to the Reds.) In my mind, Arroyo compares favorably with those two, yet is considerably cheaper and bears much less risk. I might take a flyer on a guy like Brad Penny or Mark Mulder (if they're willing to sign incentive-laden contracts), and shop Arroyo once Penny and Burnett are off the market. I would think in this current state, he might be able to fetch the Reds exactly what they need- a Yunel Escobar or a Max Ramirez/Elvis Andrus combination.

Additionally, I believe these numbers make Jake Peavy all that much more attractive. I still think the Reds should insert themselves into those negotiations, if not as an acceptable destination for Peavy than at least as a means to obtain Escobar. Surely he could be had without giving up any of Walt's untouchables.
    the beauty of a team acquiring Arroyo is that he only has two years left on his deal. if he gets hurt or stinks they aren't stuck with an albatross contract for years.

For the value that Arroyo is, the Reds better hang onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I expect them to. But, other than the 'big four' no one is untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    the beauty of a team acquiring Arroyo is that he only has two years left on his deal. if he gets hurt or stinks they aren't stuck with an albatross contract for years.
    That's my point.
    Go BLUE!!!

And in light iof these new financials, like Sabathia's offer, and Lowe's asking price, and what Perez is seeking - Arroyo suddenly looks much less onerous as a contract and even Cordero's money isn't looking outrageous anymore. Harang's deal looks like the bargain of the ages.

fans are beginning to like Bronson's contract again?

cough-toldyaso-cough

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    fans are beginning to like Bronson's contract again?

cough-toldyaso-cough
    Not so much that I like it - but if you don't have a young pitcher who can give the same 200 innings then you pay the piper, and the piper's price is rising really fast.

Why? So he can go 8-14 with a league-average ERA on a fifth-place team?

No, you use Arroyo to improve the Reds' long-term outlook. If you can trade him for that magical Catcher/SS combo, you do it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Not that I'm qualified to tell Scott Boras how to do his job or anything, but reminding GMs of the Zito contract doesn't really strike me as a great marketing strategy for his other clients.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If you can trade him for that magical Catcher/SS combo, you do it.
    No chance Arroyo fetches you the long-term solution at both SS and catcher. Arroyo alone could not fetch Teagarden or Andrus, much less both, in my opinion.

If Arroyo could bring you both a C and a SS I think the deal would already be done. And I agree about dealing him if the return improves the team - I only make the point that his contract is now more attractive and should be less of a hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    No chance Arroyo fetches you the long-term solution at both SS and catcher. Arroyo alone could not fetch Teagarden or Andrus, much less both, in my opinion.
    If you can't get the deal you're looking for, then you hold onto Arroyo.

But you don't hold onto him just for the sake of having another reasonably-priced pitcher on a losing team.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

As Will M noted, no one is untouchable, but it clearly shows that Arroyo would have considerable value. So if he brings an extraordinary return, then go for it, otherwise he's just as valuable playing for us.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?