Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League Show report

Hot Stove League Show report

Here is the short recap for the HSL show from 11-19-08.

Thom was the host tonight since Marty was on a cruise. He talked about the Dempster deal, Pedroia being named MVP and the Yankees offering 5/80 to A.J. Burnett.

Thom thinks the Reds can contend for the wild card in 09 because of the starting pitching. He likes Herrera to replace Affeldt. He said he liked Micah Owings as the de facto 5th starter but changed his mind later when a caller brought up Ramon Ramirez.

Someone asked about Freel and Thom said he has a lot of fans here because of how he plays the game and he should get a lot of time filling in as a sub.

Someone brought up the possibility of the Reds getting Beltre and Thom was very intrigued by that suggestion.

He said he wouldn't mind bringing Hariston back but not to break the bank for him. He said the ST schedule is close to being completed and ST in AZ is gonna be great. He said that anyone who has experienced ST in FLA and AZ likes AZ better.

Someone asked about the catching situation and he said he isn't sure Hanigan can be that #1 guy and catch 120 games. He wouldn't mind getting Atkins but wouldn't give up a lot for him.

Someone asked if Ivan Rodriguez and Andruw Jones would be good additions to the Reds. Thom likes Pudge for a year but wouldn't touch Jones with a 10 ft. pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Hot Stove League Show report

As always, thanks Chip!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Good report, even if the show it reported on wasn't particularly newsy. Thanks for taking the time to put it together, Chip.
    /r/reds

Without Marty, I was able to last longer then normal. Five whole minutes without switching it off!

A new record!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Without Marty, I was able to last longer then normal. Five whole minutes without switching it off!

A new record!
    Good point Raisor. It sucks having a hall of fame announcer who is passionate about the Reds.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Good point Raisor. It sucks having a hall of fame announcer who is passionate about the Reds.
    What's your definition of passionate?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What's your definition of passionate?
    Saying Adam Dunn sucks of course.

(Kidding.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hey, if you want to listen to him, it's fine with me.

I choose not to.

Thanks, Chip, as always. My definition of passionate is someone like Chip who loves Reds baseball enough to post the transcript of the Reds Hot Stove League on this site, week after week in the off-season! (So that people can complain about Marty and a player who no longer is with the Reds)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

A new record!
    5 minutes of content, or 5 real minutes....there's a difference :

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    5 minutes of content, or 5 real minutes....there's a difference :
    I think it was five minutes of content, so I probably made it 45 minutes into the show...

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Thanks, Chip, as always. My definition of passionate is someone like Chip who loves Reds baseball enough to post the transcript of the Reds Hot Stove League on this site, week after week in the off-season! (So that people can complain about Marty and a player who no longer is with the Reds)
    Josh Hamilton?

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-18-08. Thom was the host and talked about Dempster re-signing with the Cubs and Pedroia winning the MVP. He also said that the N.Y. Post is reporting that the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a 5 year $40M deal. Thom is amazed he's getting that much since he has had trouble staying healthy and has a sub .500 record.

The first caller said that he felt the Reds could contend on 2009. Thom agreed and said that the starting pitching is why. (This is the Reds we're talking about?) He thinks Volquez is going to become a consistent star, Cueto is going to be a star and he thinks Bronson has turned the corner from being a reliable starter to a consistent starter. He said there weren't 5 guys better than Bronson the last 3 months of the season. He's still high on Harang and if they can get a RH bat and fill a couple of holes they could contend for the wild card. He thinks the bullpen will be good too with the younger pitchers and Bray and Cordero along with a healthy Burton. He said that losing Affeldt was a blow but he didn't pitch well in big games. (We had big games last year?)

The next caller asked who would fill Affeldt's role. Thom likes Danny Herrera. He said Affeldt's job was to pitch the 7th and 8th innings at the beginning of the year to get that one out they needed but by the end of the year Bray was the guy doing that. Thom's not quite sold yet on Bray but thought he made big steps last year. He likes Affeldt but not at $4M a year. He says if Bray can be that guy to get the big out in the latter innings, the Reds are in business. If he isn't, they could be in trouble.

After commercial the next caller wanted to know about Micah Owings and what Freel's status was. Thom said Freel's under contract for this year and will probably get a chance to play regularly. He has a lot of fans because of the way he plays and when he gets hot, he's very productive. He likes Owings for the 5th starter and even though he hits well, only about 3 guys in the history of the game have made that conversion successfully (Ruth, Ankiel and I'm drawing a blank on the 3rd guy) He's still young and will get a chance to show the Reds what he can do. He thinks that as of now, he's the 5th starter. But he said that he could get beat out or not be healthy.

The next caller said that there's a lot to like about the Reds and asked if the Reds might be interested in Adrian Beltre. Thom is intrigued by the idea. Of course he doesn't want to give up a lot for him.

The next caller said he liked what he saw from Ramon Ramirez at the end of the year. Thom agreed and said he would be his de facto 5th starter over Owings. He said he was more impressed with him than a lot of young pitchers he's seen over the past few years. The caller asked if they would re-sign Hariston. Thom said that they will probably try but they aren't going to break the bank for him. He said that going into last year he was a .240 hitter but last year he was the best player the Reds had on the team when he was in the lineup. He said a GM has to wonder which guy they are getting.

After commercial, the next caller asked about Daryl Thompson. He said he showed a lot of composure in his first start in Yankee Stadium. Thom agreed but said he had some poor games after that. He said that he probably wasn't ready but he should be a big part of the future unless he's traded.

The next caller he likes the way the Reds are building this team unlike how JimBo went about it. (No, it wasn't Marty calling in) He said that Reds fans' intelligence was insulted by how JimBo tried to build the Reds. He said fans shouldn't look down on Jocketty if they don't make any blockbuster deals. He thinks the Reds will win next year with pitching and defense, the "old fashioned" way. Thom said no one's badmouthing Walt but you have to give Wayne and DanO some credit too. He doesn't totally blame JimBo for the Reds malaise since they didn't have a lot of money to sign guys. They signed them more on signability than actual ability.

The next caller asked when the Reds spring training schedule would be released and asked what he thought of moving to AZ for ST. Thom said they are still working on the ST schedule and that he doesn't know anyone who has been to ST in both places who likes FLA better than AZ. He said the weather is better, the travel is better as far as playing teams in the general vicinity. He thinks it's a good move for the Reds to go to AZ.

After commercial, the next caller asked Thom whet he thought about the catching corps for next year. Thom said that he doesn't know if Hanigan can or cannot be an every day catcher. He said the more some guys play, the more they get exposed. The caller asked if perhaps one of the younger pitchers in line for the 5th spot could be used to add someone. Thom said that for once the Reds are dealing from a position of strength in that area.

The next caller asked about Garrett Atkins. Thom said he is very concerned about his home/road splits. He wouldn't mind him on the team but doesn't want to break the bank for him.

After commercial, the next caller said that based on past history - the McGwire trade - that Walt will do something big. He also asked if the Reds would be interested in bringing in Pudge Rodriguez and/or Andruw Jones. Thom said he wouldn't mind bringing in Pudge for a year if the price was right. He puts the bat on the ball and is a very good player; not the MVP he used to be but a very good player. Thom said he doesn't want any part of Jones. He said that he didn't just go south but the wheels have fallen off. He doesn't know if he can get it back and he personally doesn't think he can get it back. Thom said he looked 30 lbs overweight last year which isn't a good thing to be if you had a bad year the year before and are trying to get back to form. Thom added that ATL doesn't make many mistakes when it comes to letting guys go and they let him go. Thom said he wasn't even on the post season roster least year. The caller asked if Thom would bring Dunn back. Thom said he wouldn't and it's time to move on. He said he's not like a lot of guys here who wear Dunn and Jr. out. He thinks they were on a lot of teams that played shorthanded for a while and they got a lot of blame for the team's shortcomings. He isn't going to blame them for that. He thought they might have been part of the problem as far as leadership went but they weren't the reason the Reds weren't winners.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-18-08. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

and has a sub .500 record.
    His daddy must have told him you determine a pitcher's worth by his W/L record....

he was the best player the Reds had on the team when he was in the lineup.
    That must have been after Dunn was traded to Arizona, and on days Joey Votto didn't play...

After commercial, the next caller asked about Daryl Thompson. He said he showed a lot of composure in his first start in Yankee Stadium.
    This is the same Daryl Thompson who forgot how to cover 1B during his debut @ The House That Jeter Ruined? The same Daryl Thompson who walked twice as many as he struck out in that debut? Thankfully Daryl Thompson pitched 5 IP of 0 ER that day, but it certainly didn't look pretty from our seats in the LF bleachers....

Thom said no one's badmouthing Walt but you have to give Wayne and DanO some credit too.
    Wayne deserves some credit, but DanO? What the Hell did DanO do to deserve positive credit?

The caller asked if Thom would bring Dunn back. Thom said he wouldn't and it's time to move on. He said he's not like a lot of guys here who wear Dunn and Jr. out. He thinks they were on a lot of teams that played shorthanded for a while and they got a lot of blame for the team's shortcomings. He isn't going to blame them for that. He thought they might have been part of the problem as far as leadership went but they weren't the reason the Reds weren't winners.
    I had high hopes for Thom when he came to the Reds, but the apple didn't fall far enough from the Franchester tree.... My guess is 2012, and maybe, just maybe Dunn & KGJ will stop getting blamed for "poor leadership", and the Reds' W/L record during their tenures.

Great stuff as always, Chip. Thanks for the detailed report!

Thanks chip for the update!!

As far as the posters on here that don't like Marty,You must not know what greatness is b/c thats exactly what Marty is.He and Nuxy was the faces of Reds baseball and we all miss Nuxy greatly.I just want to tell you that you better enjoy the time you have with Marty by listening to every Reds game b/c nothing does'nt last forever.Yes I know you guys are probably thinking (Well I an't going to miss him)Well guys you can try to believe that all you want but I garrentee each and every one of you will miss him after he is gone.I absolutly love the guy myself as our announcer and even if you don't like him still set back and enjoy listening him announce the Reds game b/c you will miss him after he is gone.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?