Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce/Votto: Friendy competition

Bruce/Votto: Friendy competition

Both Votto and Bruce own 21 home runs. They are friends, yes. They are in friendly competition, yes.

Asked if they were, Votto said, “Very, very much so. We get on each other and there is a little half-smirk when one or the other does something. I guess it is called one upmanship. He is one of those guys who is just so good that it is nice to have someone at that level to compete with.”

Votto hit the longest, but he smiled and said, “A homer is a homer. He hit two today and so did I.”

Bruce smiled equally wide over the competition question with Votto.

“It is friendly competition,” he said. “We push it other unconsciously — I mean subconsciously. If we were unconscious we wouldn’t be awake.”

Both are wide, wide awake.

“We just have a good time, play the game hard and let our abilities take care of itself,” Bruce added.

Baker sees the competition, too, and likes it;.

“It is good to see them matching each other and it shows how bright our future is and how bright their future is,” he said. “They’re good friends. They hang together, they play catch together. That’s what you want. You want those guys close. There is no envy and no jealousy involved.”

Baker asked what the record is for a rookie hitting home runs, since Votto and Bruce are rookies and when somebody said, “Frank Robinson, 38,” Baker laughed and said, “Whoa. That’s one that is going to stand for a long time and has stood for a long time.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce/Votto: Friendy competition

Jay Bruce and Joey Votto became the fifth rookie teammates in divisional play era to hit 20 homers in the same season per ESPN.

BTW, Joey Votto now has 576 atbats in his major league career, which is roughly a full major league season, maybe a little more. In those 576 atbats he has hit .292/.361/.491 - .852 OPS with 36 doubles and 25 homeruns, and this is despite him spending the majority of those atbats down lower in the order. Those are some dang good numbers for a 24 year old (now 25) rookie. I couldn't have asked for anything more out of Votto up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, Joey Votto now has 576 atbats in his major league career, which is roughly a full major league season, maybe a little more. In those 576 atbats he has hit .292/.361/.491 - .852 OPS with 36 doubles and 25 homeruns, and this is despite him spending the majority of those atbats down lower in the order. Those are some dang good numbers for a 24 year old (now 25) rookie. I couldn't have asked for anything more out of Votto up to this point.
    Yep, very, very impressive.

What's even more moving is that, incredibly, he's had the mental fortitude to bounce back strong after the passing of his father. I'm sure that was a tremendous weight on him, yet he's still put up OPSes of .954 and .897 in the months of August and September, respectively. IMHO, this kid has a really bright future.

Votto Is a class act and Canadian to
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Bruce looks like a 40 homerun type of guy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

What's even more moving is that, incredibly, he's had the mental fortitude to bounce back strong after the passing of his father. I'm sure that was a tremendous weight on him, yet he's still put up OPSes of .954 and .897 in the months of August and September, respectively. IMHO, this kid has a really bright future.
    Forgot about that. In retrospect, that makes it even more impressive.
    Sure, we had hopes and dreams about these guys doing good early on - but in reality, they have both exceeded my own expectations this early. We could be looking a couple of very exciting young players.

And Bruce? Yeah. It seems like he's been around forever and it is rather difficult sometimes to remember he is still only 21. Some of those stud projection numbers we've seen for him in the past...they might not be that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Quoted for truth.

I have liked Votto, a lot, since seeing him with Louisville last season when they were playing here in Charlotte. Didn't hurt that he gave my son his bat after breaking it in one of those games. The kid has a presence about him. He has become my favorite player on the current Reds team. I think he is going to be a consistent performer at the plate, and I also think that he is going to be a very good first baseman if given the chance to stay there. His work ethic seems to be at the top of the chart. Really nice young player.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Bruce looks like a 40 homerun type of guy IMO.
    Votto has a lot of power too. It could be possible that both will be 40 homer guys. I'd say it's more likely that Bruce will be the 40 homer guy and Votto will probably be 30+.

Votto's long shot last night went 451 feet. His power has been compared to Sean Casey's in the past -- but Casey never showed that much power. He actually reminds me more of a left handed Jason Bay.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Tell you what, all the whispers about whether Votto had genuine major league power that accompanied him as he moved north into a full-time roll with this club have been shut off. He isn't going to be a Thome, but he has enough power to give hope of 25-35 annually during his prime. That's enough to be a very useful bat at 1b or LF.

Of all the things that have gone wrong this year, how disastrous would it be if we had gotten to this point in the year and Bruce and Votto had come up bust? Thankfully, that's a door we have not had to go through. Those two have met ALL reasonable expectations, and even surpassed same.

throw Alonso in there with those two and youve got some serious pop, I heard Brantley and Mark Sheldon and theyre saying Alonso is going to play in the Dominican league and its like AAA and 1/2.

throw Alonso in there with those two and youve got some serious pop, I heard Brantley and Mark Sheldon and theyre saying Alonso is going to play in the Dominican league and its like AAA and 1/2.
    Yonder has a busy schedule this offseason. First he's going to Instructional League in Sarasota for 11 days, then he's heading to Hawaii for winter ball, and after that he's gonna play some additional winter ball in the Dominican. Soon after that it will be time for him to report to spring training in mid February.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, they said if he is playing in January in the DWL its like that. Odds are he won't be playing by then because thats when the major leaguers start coming in and playing more. Still, he will face plenty of AA/AAA talent down there with some MLB talent mixed in at times. Its nothing to sneeze at and likely tougher competition than he will see in the HWL.

Turn Off Ads?