Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help
    Need left-handed reliever as a result of Affeldt going to Giants

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- As expected, following free-agent left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt's departure earlier this week, the Reds have increased their efforts to get more bullpen help.

"Ideally, we'd like to acquire another left-hander," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Thursday night.

Jocketty said Cincinnati had interest in lefty reliever Trever Miller, who appeared close to signing a two-year deal with the Cardinals. That signing has reportedly been held up, however.

"We looked at Trever Miller and thought about it," Jocketty said. "But we didn't want to go for the amount it was going to cost to have what is basically a situational left-hander."

There are other veteran left-handed free agents still out there -- including Arthur Rhodes, Will Ohman, Darren Oliver, Dennys Reyes and Joe Beimel. Jocketty indicated the Reds would take a closer look at all of them.

Affeldt signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Giants. The Reds currently have Bill Bray as their only lefty in the bullpen with significant experience.

"Left-handed relief is tough to find and the market is a little inflated," Jocketty said. "We'll see if it comes down."

As for Reds free agents, there have been talks this week with relievers David Weathers and Mike Lincoln. Negotiations also continued on Thursday with Jerry Hairston Jr.

The search continues for a right-handed-hitting run producer for left field. At this stage, the hopes of any fan that the Reds go after free agent Pat Burrell should begin to fade.

"I'm looking to see what we can go after in trades first," Jocketty said. "He might be a little out of our price range."

The Reds have been more focused on trades than getting serious on the free-agent market. Cincinnati was one of the teams that wanted to trade for center fielder Coco Crisp, but the Red Sox dealt him to the Royals on Wednesday for reliever Ramon Ramirez, who has more experience than any of the players the Reds were offering.

"A lot of clubs have been calling, especially the last couple of days," Jocketty said. "I think a lot more clubs are looking for trades. Prices seem to be too high for free agents. I believe people are trying to protect what dollars they have to spend."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Good... we don't need Burrell at a high price anyway...

Great news! This team is one lefty reliever away from a world series contender!!
    Go BLUE!!!

For gosh sakes, let David Weathers go. There are better options available in the minors.

I'm glad the Reds stayed away from Trevor Miller. I would also stay away from Darren Oliver - he's a Type A free agent which means the Reds would have to forfeit their second round pick to sign him. I think I like Will Ohman the most of the available lefties, but Rhodes, Reyes, and Beimel are also solid options. I'd be fine with any of those four.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Bullpen help?

Really?

IMO, seems like putting a simple knuckle band aid on a patient who just lost a limb and is now an amputee....

I mean I guess on the surface it makes sense to replace Affeldt with another lefty (although IMO Bray will fill in nicely...), but we're more than replacing Affeldt from being a playoff team, and we're definitely more than strengthening the bullpen from being a playoff team....

Get us a legitimate leadoff hitter, get us an actual SS, and maybe a CF or a C and then we might talk....

Until then, I guess we wait in anticipation...

Or at least I do...

I have never, ever, seen a franchise continually obsess on one aspect like Cincy has been obsessing about the bullpen.

Sure they need to look at some relievers, but why does it always seem like this is the #1 area of concern year after year?

Get some guys who will get the team some leads, then worry about patching up the pen.

I'm sick of people saying, "Affeldt's gone; now we need a lefty!"

He pitches lefties and righties pretty much equally, and the past couple years, he's had noticeably more success against righties.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm sick of people saying, "Affeldt's gone; now we need a lefty!"

He pitches lefties and righties pretty much equally, and the past couple years, he's had noticeably more success against righties.
    When you are facing Ryan Howard in the late innings, and Bray is gassed from the night before, it may be wise to have a lefty in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When you are facing Ryan Howard in the late innings, and Bray is gassed from the night before, it may be wise to have a lefty in the bullpen.
    But... Jeremy Affeldt is basically not a lefty. His tendencies are exactly the same as a RH reliever. I understand what you are saying, I'd like to have a LOOGY too. My reasons are not so much production motivated, rather I would sign a reliever to a one year contract, so long as the money is not going to be spent elsewhere, to either trade at the deadline for prospects or to provide compensation after they leave as a FA. It's kinda like buying prospects...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Danny Herrera did OK vs Howard this year.

If Burrell is out of the price range, I'd say Ordonez (unless the Tigers eat a big chunk of his deal) is too. Cruz or Hermedia would be nice.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-20-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Nice to see Dennys Reyes in Red again.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If Burrell is out of the price range, I'd say Ordonez (unless the Tigers eat a big chunk of his deal) is too. Cruz or Hermedia would be nice.
    Jermaine Dye too...

Rotoworld or some other source listed the Reds as a team targetting Ohman. I'd like to see him picked up by Walt.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Rotoworld or some other source listed the Reds as a team targetting Ohman. I'd like to see him picked up by Walt.
    Me TOO!!! he would be a huge help!!

Turn Off Ads?