Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Re: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Somehow, I think Mark Mulder ends up here trying to restart his career as a reliever.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I have never, ever, seen a franchise continually obsess on one aspect like Cincy has been obsessing about the bullpen.

Sure they need to look at some relievers, but why does it always seem like this is the #1 area of concern year after year?

Get some guys who will get the team some leads, then worry about patching up the pen.
    Amen. Year after year we seem to hear the bullpen mantra. It matters, of course it matters, but this too often is such a core focus when other issues are plaguing the team and contributing toward losses in a much more meaningful way. The Reds are not absent complete talent in the pen, and supplementing the talent that is there either through trade, free agency or a few of the young promising arms we have in the minors should be one of the easier tasks facing Jocketty.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Amen. Year after year we seem to hear the bullpen mantra. It matters, of course it matters, but this too often is such a core focus when other issues are plaguing the team and contributing toward losses in a much more meaningful way. The Reds are not absent complete talent in the pen, and supplementing the talent that is there either through trade, free agency or a few of the young promising arms we have in the minors should be one of the easier tasks facing Jocketty.
    I agree, but besides the title I don't really see anywhere in that article that Walt comes off as overly concerned about it. At least not anymore so than any other need. Sounds like the writer is just trying to make it more dramatic to get people to read it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Rotoworld or some other source listed the Reds as a team targetting Ohman. I'd like to see him picked up by Walt.
    Seems like that guy has about 10 teams in on him including his former team the Braves, at least from the stuff I have read. Ohman is probably the next best LHR that's not a closer so I doubt Walt goes there due to $$$'s, just a hunch.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Somehow, I think Mark Mulder ends up here trying to restart his career as a reliever.
    Stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I have never, ever, seen a franchise continually obsess on one aspect like Cincy has been obsessing about the bullpen.

Sure they need to look at some relievers, but why does it always seem like this is the #1 area of concern year after year?

Get some guys who will get the team some leads, then worry about patching up the pen.

With all the money this club has spent on the bullpen, utility players and left handed pinch hitters the last few years it sure seems like they would have learned something by now.

Basically Walt is saying the Reds will not over pay for any free agent, theyre on a tight budget and would like to follow the Tampa Bay model as close as possible and I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Basically Walt is saying the Reds will not over pay for any free agent, theyre on a tight budget and would like to follow the Tampa Bay model as close as possible and I totally agree.
    Isn't the Tampa Bay model to come in last place for 10 years in a row, amass the top draft pick in every round for 10 years in a row, and hoard a huge glut of top prospects?

I don't really think the Rays did anything smart to build a great team. They were just so awful for so long they couldn't help but stumble upon some good young players with all the top picks they were given.

I agree it is not wise to overpay for free agents unless absolutely required in order to fill a gaping hole in the team.

The reason the Reds have a tight budget is because the owner wants it that way. They have made about $40 million in profit over the last 3 or 4 years (not counting this season). They have the money -- they just won't spend it. Maybe they will some day.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 11-21-2008 at 04:24 AM.

The model Im talking about is to play your own players and not to just spend money willie nillie, I take it you just go out everyday and just blow money the way your talking. They want fans to buy into their product but they also want to be frugal and not be tied into a Eric Milton type contracts again, at least theyre not peeing down our legs and trying to tell us it's raining.

at least theyre not peeing down our legs and trying to tell us it's raining.
    Maybe they are.

Have you ever felt rain quite as warm ?

Just kiddin'

For those that are interested, I saw a rumor a while back that the centerpiece the Reds were offering for Crisp was Jared Burton. That came from the same guy who said Colorado was demanding Cueto for Holliday a couple of weeks before that came out here.

I think the Reds see Roenicke as a legitimate late-inning reliever/closer and are trying to figure out what do with what they see as a logjam with Cordero/Burton/Roenicke.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 11-21-2008 at 06:51 AM.

But how does that square up? We have about $54-57 million committed (depending on EE) and Walt says the payroll is going to be in the mid-$80s. He doesn't want to spend on a reliever (Affeldt), he doesn't want to spend on a SS (Greene). Obviously he was prepared to pay Coco Crisp $5 million, so according to his list of needs, all that leaves is a RH bat. Does he intend to spend $20-25 million on a RH bat?

I don't really think the Rays did anything smart to build a great team.
    Greatness happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    With all the money this club has spent on the bullpen, utility players and left handed pinch hitters the last few years it sure seems like they would have learned something by now.

I'd question the emphasis of the MLB.com's headline indicating that the Reds are "focusing on acquiring bullpen help." The article quotes Walt saying, "Ideally, we'd like to acquire another left-hander." Clearly the Reds will have to fill out their bullpen, particularly if all three of the group of Affeldt (gone), Weathers (probably gone) and Lincoln do not resign. Clubs are always looking to fill out their bullpens. This is up there with "dog bites man", IMO, or as is often said, "Move along, nothing see here".
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?