71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

36 50.70%
  • Matt Maloney

35 49.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect #17 runoff vote

Prospect #17 runoff vote

It's down to Zach Cozart or Matt Maloney at #17.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect #17 runoff vote

I went with the big lefty Matt Maloney at #17. Maloney has a big durable frame at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds and is capable of being a durable innings eater. He's got a strong minor league track record with a 3.40 ERA in 522.2 innings, a 7.69 H/9, 0.76 HR/9, 3.12 BB/9, and 9.21 K/9. Stuff wise, he's got an 87-90 mph fastball to go along with what Baseball America calls a plus changeup and a solid breaking ball. If things fall in place, he could potentially develop into a Paul Maholm type starter at the back of a rotation, IMO.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-21-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Maloney.

Maloney is the easy pick here.

Matt Maloney is my choice here.

Maloney for me

I don't think its so easy. Reds position players most likely to be regulars in the major leagues:

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Neftali Soto
    3. Zach Cozart

Cozart may not make it, but he has the ingredients necessary to hold down a regular role for 150 games or so per year. Not sure anyone else except Alonso and Soto can make that claim. For the recod, I left Duran and Yorman out of the equation and I do have Frazier, Stubbs, Dickerson and Dorn all rated more highly than Cozrt, but I can make a better case why none of them will be everyday players in the big leagues than I can with Cozart. I rate them higher because they have much less chance of becoming nothing as well. Beyond Bailey and Lotzkar (and maybe Thompson) there really isn't a pitcher in the organization that projects to have better value than even a mediocre regular.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If its between Maloney and Cozart, I am going to take Cozart. Plus defense at the most important position on the field outside of catcher. He has some interesting pop in his bat as well. If he tightens up his plate discipline even just a little more and he could be a solid hitter with a plus glove at shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I went with the big lefty Matt Maloney at #17. Maloney has a big durable frame at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds and is capable of being a durable innings eater. He's got a strong minor league track record with a 3.40 ERA in 522.2 innings, a 7.69 H/9, 0.76 HR/9, 3.12 BB/9, and 9.21 K/9. Stuff wise, he's got an 87-90 mph fastball to go along with what Baseball America calls a plus changeup and a solid breaking ball. If things fall in place, he could potentially develop into a Paul Maholm type starter at the back of a rotation, IMO.

Overall minor league statistics include his work at low levels. In Maloney's case, I think his work at the higher minor league levels deserves separate focus.

Maloney's AAA ERA last year was 4.68. That ERA was coupled with 18 homers allowed in 140 innings. The previous year, Maloney allowed 19 home runs in 170 innings, a better rate but still an obvious issue, particularly for a pitcher vying for GABP.

Cozart had a decent offensive year at Dayton last year, although he turned 23 during the season so he will have to advance relatively quickly. I agree that he is one of the few position players in the organization (above the rookie leagues) who looks like a possible starter at a premium defensive position. Cozart is not noted for his bat, but he did hit .280 with 40 extra base hits last year with an ok .787 OPS.

I vote for Cozart.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-22-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Cozart

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Overall minor league statistics include his work at low levels. In Maloney's case, I think his work at the higher minor league levels deserves separate focus.

Maloney's AAA ERA last year was 4.68. That ERA was coupled with 18 homers allowed in 140 innings. The previous year, Maloney allowed 19 home runs in 170 innings, a better rate but still an obvious issue, particularly for a pitcher vying for GABP.
    Maloney pitched well last year at high levels. In 170.2 innings between AA and AAA (mostly AA), he posted a 3.64 ERA and 54 BB/177 K ratio. His ERA was far from impressive this past year but he again put up a strong 39 BB/141 K ratio in 146 innings. The home runs are admittedly worrisome. That's something that could hold him back... that's why if I was a team like San Diego or Seattle I'd target Maloney. He could probably put together a very solid career in a big ballpark, and he still could in a ballpark like GABP as long as he can keep the homers allowed at a respectable rate.

Am I missing something with Cozart? He repeated single A Dayton last year and did nothing to really stand out. He is turning 24 this year and hasn't even sniffed AA. Maloney on the other hand has dominated the low minor leagues, is 25 and put up decent stats at AAA last year.

A no brainer to me...

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Am I missing something with Cozart? He repeated single A Dayton last year and did nothing to really stand out. He is turning 24 this year and hasn't even sniffed AA. Maloney on the other hand has dominated the low minor leagues, is 25 and put up decent stats at AAA last year.

A no brainer to me...
    It's Cozart's defense that makes him stand out. Unfortunately, writer's don't like to write about that, so people aren't going to pay him much attention if he doesn't have a remarkable bat. Everyone knows that Cozart is no future Manny Ramirez, but even if he can OPS at a mere .700 in the Major Leagues, he would be a starter on a lot of teams. He hit 14 homeruns and had a .457 SLG in a pitcher's league, so I think he's got a great start to proving the doubters wrong. He still has a ways to go, but how many prospects don't?

And for the record, Cozart turned 23 this year and was 22 years old for almost the entire season, not that that's worth much.

Maloney. despite an injury still posted an outstanding K rate. And he's LH.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Maloney. despite an injury still posted an outstanding K rate. And he's LH.
    I love what Maloney has done in the minors, but at some point, you have to pay attention to the scouting reports. Look at what Jeremy Sowers did in the minors and compare it to what he has done in the major leagues. To be honest, I think the argument for Maloney is a good one; I just like Cozart more, personally.

Turn Off Ads?