Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Western Hills Baseball

Western Hills Baseball

We were in Cincy last weekend for the BRM reunion and we were needing to kill some time so we went by Western Hills High School where Peter Rose went. I am curious, is the baseball field across the street from the high school where Pete would have played at? Is the field named after him or anything there to represent that he played there because we didn't see anything?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Western Hills Baseball

It's on the same plot of land, but not the original layout. They renovated a few years ago and made two separate fields. The baseball diamond used to be situated such that home plate was in the corner of the football end zone. The football stands were wide enough apart to fit full-length foul lines (no short porch). Now they have virtually no football stands in order to fit two fields.
    Last edited by LawFive; 11-22-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    It's on the same plot of land, but not the original layout. They renovated a few years ago and made two separate fields. The baseball diamond used to be situated such that home plate was in the corner of the football end zone. The football stands were wide enough apart to fit full-length foul lines (no short porch). Now they have virtually no football stands in order to fit two fields.

Is there any landmark on the field recognizing that Pete played there??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Doubtful, Pete didn't graduate.

Plus in HS he was not the hero, that would be Eddie Brinkman's title.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Doubtful, Pete didn't graduate.

Plus in HS he was not the hero, that would be Eddie Brinkman's title.
    I didn't know Pete didn't graduate. Interesting but not suprising.

Im not a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but even if Brinkman had a more distinguished HS career than Rose, I cant see him being honored over Rose. A guy with 4256 hits and a so so HS career trumps a guy with a top notch HS career and a so so MLB career.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 11-22-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Not that I've ever noticed. But then again I've never really looked. I'm not from that area, but I'm over there to ref once in a while.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

I didn't know Pete didn't graduate. Interesting but not suprising.

Im not a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but even if Brinkman had a more distinguished HS career than Rose, I cant see him being honored over Rose. A guy with 4256 hits and a so so HS career trumps a guy with a top notch HS career and a so so MLB career.
    I think I read that Rose didn't play HS baseball, that he played football but not baseball since he was playing for a local traveling team. I could be wrong, but for some reason that's the scenario stuck in my head.

it seems like I've played there a hundred times and I've never noticed anything mentioned about Pete.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Not to get too off-topic here, but I find it suprising that there is nothing, not one plaque or anything, commemorating where the original Cincinnati Red Stockings took the field as the first professional baseball team. From what I've looked up in the past, their field is basically where Union Terminal is now, but you'd think they would at least put up something recognizing it? I mean, it's the team that basically laid the seeds for what would eventually be the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs.

Idk, maybe I'm just splitting hairs....

Turn Off Ads?