Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Anyone happen to listen to his show this morning? I had to run some errands so I was listening in to his program in the car.

He was going off on rants about OSU, Tressel, and the program in general, and talking about how they are scared to play the Bearcats, the benchmark of an OSU fan is insecurity, and that the BCS needs to put OSU vs Bearcats in the Orange Bowl so that they can settle the matter of who is the best college football team /program in Ohio.

He was laughable that's for sure.

The Bearcats first need tp take care of business tonight vs Pittsburgh. And I'm pulling for them.

I'm a diehard Buckeye fan, but I also love to follow the Bearcats. I think Brian Kelly is a heck of a coach, and I hope he doesn't leave there.

But GFW first doesn't get his facts straight by saying that the only time OSU payed the Bearcats was back in '02, and that the Bucks should have lost that game. It was a very good game, but I guess his mind has blanked out that 37-7 Buckeye win in '06.

He taunted them over the lopsided win by USC, and then laughingly states that we got drilled by a PSU team that he obviously also feels is not any good. Gee, I thought that was a very close game. We probably should have won it if not for that Pryor fumble.

He then goes on to say that the Bucks are cowards because their season ends today, while the Bearcats still have games left with Syracuse and Hawaii.

I hate to break it to you Gary, but the entire Big 10 schedule ends today. OSU has no control over how many games they play or when the season ends. Most conferences end play either this weekend or next, with a few having conference championship games coming up.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-22-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

He then goes on to say that the Bucks are cowards because their season ends today, while the Bearcats still have games left with Syracuse and Hawaii.
    The horror, the horror. Those poor 18-22 year olds. Won't somebody think of the children?

We should probably drop that game with USC next year to add UC. Wouldn't want to be cowards, you know.

I would rather see OSU play the Bearcats then Division 1-AA schools like Youngstown State.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Glad I didn't have to hear that one. I follow two teams. UC and OSU. I don't think OSU is scared to play them, I mean lets be honest, they did go out to USC this year and Texas a few years ago and as much as I love UC and where they are going and what they have done, they aren't on the USC or Texas level.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I would rather see OSU play the Bearcats then Division 1-AA schools like Youngstown State.
    As would many people, but that's not how college football works. Think UC fans would rather play OSU than EKU? UC wouldn't.

UC and OSU aren't rivals, and no matter how much talk radio hacks and callers gripe, they have no history. OSU is not afraid to play anyone, and will play UC on occasion. Since football schedules are often set a decade in advance, a home and home wouldn't happen for a while. The teams will play in 2012, to finish out the deal that began in 2002.

If UC can remain viable for an extended period, you'd have to believe OSU would be open to another deal (perhaps one at PBS, one at OSU) in a decade or so, after the deals with Miami, Cal, Tennessee, and I think VT.

I can see where he is coming from. OSU did pay UC a huge amount of money (from a UC perspective) to not have to play here in Cincinnati. Still, I don't think they're cowards. They have the market cornered on prospects and fans in the state of Ohio. If they lost to an in-state team, those prospects and fans could start to turn.

Is there any chance that his ratings are down and he only said that as a stunt to get people to talk about his show?

If he really, truly, honestly thinks that the UC defense could stop Wells and Pryor then he is a lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Is there any chance that his ratings are down and he only said that as a stunt to get people to talk about his show?
    No one from WLW would ever do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No one from WLW would ever do that.
    Especially not Tracy Jones or Willie Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post

If he really, truly, honestly thinks that the UC defense could stop Wells and Pryor then he is a lunatic.
    This is exactly what Gary is talking about. If you really think OSU would run all over UC then you are mistaken. I'll tell you right now it would be a close game. I'm not going to say UC would definately win, but I feel like this is the first time that OSU fans can't say OSU would definately win. UC would be the underdogs, but by no means is OSU that much better than UC.

And yes, UC's defense does have the ability to stop Wells and Pryor.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    And yes, UC's defense does have the ability to stop Wells and Pryor.
    They stopped Pat White, Noel Devine, and LaSean McCoy. All are comparable talents to Wells and Pryor IMO.

That said, I think if UC and OSU were to play today at a neutral site, OSU wins 6-7 times out of 10. I also don't think UC needs to make OSU a rival or even play them to be a successful program.

I still haven't heard the reason why Ohio State backed out of the 2012 game in Cincinnati. At the surface, it smacks of what happened in basketball a few years ago. They avoided UC until OSU had their strongest team in decades and UC had their weakest in decades to finally play. All it did was reinforce the notion that Greg Oden is a better basketball player than Conner Barwin.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-23-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The 'Cats defense is very experienced and impressive and I doubt Pryor would pick it apart. Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy haven't completely demolished them, so i'm sure Beanie wouldn't run all over either.

I honestly think UC v OSU would be a good game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    They stopped Pat White, Noel Devine, and LaSean McCoy. All are comparable talents to Wells and Pryor IMO.

That said, I think if UC and OSU were to play today at a neutral site, OSU wins 6-7 times out of 10. I also don't think UC needs to make OSU a rival or even play them to be a successful program.

I still haven't heard the reason why Ohio State backed out of the 2012 game in Cincinnati. At the surface, it smacks of what happened in basketball a few years ago. They avoided UC until OSU had their strongest team in decades and UC had their weakest in decades to finally play. All it did was reinforce the notion that Greg Oden is a better basketball player than Conner Barwin.
    All of those players are 30lbs less then Chris Wells and Terrele Pryor. Beanie will be healthy during the bowl game. I don't see UC having the ability to stop him.

I think UC would probably win 1 out of 10, the Big East is down this year. I think UC is likely the fourth or fifth best team in the Big Ten this year.

Ohio State didn't back out of the 2012 game. UC and Ohio State can each make more money by the game being in Columbus. UC fans keep repeating this, but it comes down to the dollars. UC needs cash, and lots of it. Nippert seats ~35,000, PBS seats ~65,000, Ohio Stadium seats ~105,000. After Mike Brown gets his cut PBS isn't nearly as profitable as it should be.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 11-23-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As far as OSU being coward, I just think they are being smart. They aren't proving they aren't cowards though by playing USC. All they are doing is limiting the damage of their schedule. A loss to USC doesn't look near as bad as a loss to UC, nor does a win over UC look near as good as a win over USC. There is lower risk and a higher reward for playing USC. So yeah, they are afraid of losing to UC in a sense. That doesn't mean it wasn't a very smart move to limit your chances of a devestating loss when you have a program that can play the "upper tier" schools. UC fans shouldn't fool themselves into thinking they are looked at the same as an OSU yet. They have a ways to go before that. OSU fans shouldn't assume that means they always have the better team either. They just have a longer track record of success.

UC fans are getting caught in the hype, but OSU fans assume they always have a better team because they are used to having the better team. That is why there is even a debate. In reality, UC is a much better football team than it has ever been, and OSU is in a bit of a down year. OSU will get better, but the question is wether or not UC will. Will this be the top of the mountain, or is UC still climbing? The only way to find out is to see what happens in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    All of those players are 30lbs less then Chris Wells. He will be healthy during the bowl game. I don't see UC having the ability to stop him.

I think UC would probably win 1 out of 10, the Big East is down this year. I think UC is likely the fourth or fifth best team in the Big Ten this year.

Ohio State didn't back out of the 2012 game. UC and Ohio State can each make more money by the game being in Columbus. UC fans keep repeating this, but it comes down to the dollars. UC needs cash, and lots of it. Nippert seats ~35,000, PBS seats ~65,000, Ohio Stadium seats ~105,000. After Mike Brown gets his cut PBS isn't nearly as profitable as it should be.
    The defensive line of UC is also very athletic and I just don't see OSU keeping them from Pryor. If UC turned it into a one dimentional game, Wells would have a very hard time against them. Then there is the question of OSU stopping the UC offense. I also think UC has better special teams as well. I don't see it happening as OSU fans plan. I'm not saying UC is hands down the best team, but OSU does not win 9 out of 10. No way, no how. The Big Ten is also in a down year and nowhere near as good as some fans believe.

OSU may not have backed out of the game, but they strong armed UC into giving up homefield advantage. You can't tell me that it was a joint decision. There is no way UC would rather travel to Columbus. It was either take the money and play where OSU wants, or not play at all.

I also don't see how, even if UC would be 4 or 5 in the Big Ten OSU would beat them 9 out of ten times. I would put UC at 3 or 4. OSU doesn't beat the 3/4 9 out of 10 times this year on a neutral field. My opinion is not un-biased, but nowhere near as unrealistic as OSU winning 9 out of 10 times. OSU just isn't that good this year.

Turn Off Ads?