Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Re: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

I think that on the basis of this year, I would take Tony Pike over Tyrell Pryor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Listen, I'm not stating that UC would roll Ohio State; they wouldn't. What I'm saying is that it'd be a pretty darn entertaining game and the notion that Ohio State would roll UC is unrealistic and biased. If UC and Ohio State played each other 100 times, who would win more? Most likely Ohio State, I'm sure. But would Ohio State win 90 of those games? Hardly.

CE said it best: Ohio State is the better team, but it's nowhere near to the level that Buckeye fans want to pretend it is.

I just checked the computer rankings that are in the BCS, and two of the three that have conference ratings have the Big East ranked higher than the Big Ten as a conference. So either the computer rankings are full of it, or the strength of the Big Ten conference is nothing more than a mere figment of people's imaginations.

I'm not even claiming that the Big East is greater than the Big Ten; I'm merely claiming that the difference between the Big Ten and the Big East isn't all that much. And yes, the Big Ten is much closer to the Big East than they are the Big 12 and the SEC.

FWIW, and this will ruffle some feathers ... when you combine the two major sports - football and basketball - the Big Ten IS the weakest of the six power conferences.

I think this is the argument most of us are trying to make in a nutshell. OSU is not head and shoulders better than UC. UC would still be the underdog, but OSU fans brushing it off like UC fans are dreaming is absurd.

Agree with that assessment SeeinRed. I think OSU is the better team, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    To state that OSU is "afraid" of UC is absurd. What, afraid of losing fans to them? Afraid of UC taking the throne as the top team in the state?
    Afraid of losing fans? Not a chance, OSU has plenty of fans to spare. Afraid of UC taking the throne as the top team in the state? Doubtful.

Afraid of losing to little brother with no football reputation, potentially losing recruits to little brother, and putting a non-conference loss on their schedule? Yes.

UC is quickly becoming a trendy school for recruits to look at, similar to how OSU was in basketball when they got Thad. I can't remember OSU's previous coach for the life of me, but do you think Oden, Conley, Cook, etc. would have considered going there before Thad came to town? OSU's basketball was coming off some years of mediocrity, Thad came in and started winning some games, put OSU basketball in the national spotlight and it quickly became a school that big time recruits started to consider that they wouldn't have considered before. On a little lesser scale I think this can be compared to UC football. UC football has less history than OSU basketball did, but the other things are very similar. An excitable new coach comes to town, wins some big games, gets UC football on ESPN multiple times against ranked opponents and wins, and gets UC football a ton of exposure. Suddenly Ohio kids have another in-state option to consider if they want to play BCS football and play on a big stage. Cincinnati is a very talent rich area for high school football, and I don't think there's any way Tressel and Co. want to risk losing to Cincy and have even one recruit think about going to UC over OSU. UC pulled in a couple recruits this past year that had offers from WVU, Michigan, Nebraska, Va. Tech. and Purdue, this wouldn't have happened in the past, and potentially going to a BCS bowl will only help UC with recruiting, especially hometown kids who might be considering either staying home or going up the road to OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Look, I like UC, and I'm rooting for them. But they were irrelevant before Kelly came to town.
    And Kelly is here now, so your statement is irrelevant.

Ohio State isn't afraid of losing recruits to UC. If anything, and I highly doubt this is the case, they're afraid of getting beaten by UC, and losing recruits to Florida, USC, Michigan... in the process.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Ohio State isn't afraid of losing recruits to UC. If anything, and I highly doubt this is the case, they're afraid of getting beaten by UC, and losing recruits to Florida, USC, Michigan... in the process.
    Then why back out of the game? Don't say it's about money, because if that was the case, then Ohio State would never have agreed to play in Cincinnati in the first place.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Then why back out of the game? Don't say it's about money, because if that was the case, then Ohio State would never have agreed to play in Cincinnati in the first place.
    They agreed to a deal with Cal, and the 2012 game is away. They didn't want to play two OOC away games for monetary reasons. The football program supports the largest athletic program in the country. They need 7-8 home games a year to help fund the non-revenue generating sports.

When the two schools agreed on a deal that moved the game to Columbus, with UC being compensated, OSU gladly kept the game. It's what works out best for both parties. As someone already stated, UC will likely make a better profit playing in Columbus than at PBS, which will help UC financially support itself.

They are not afraid to play UC. Money is the reason.
    Last edited by guttle11; 11-24-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    They agreed to a deal with Cal, and the 2012 game is away. They didn't want to play two OOC away games for monetary reasons.
    Wrong.

The game against Cal is in Columbus on September 15, 2012. The UC game is in Columbus on September 8, 2012. Ohio State's other two non-conference games are also at home.

OSU future road non-conference games ...

2009: Zero
    2010: Zero
    2011: @ Miami (FL)
    2012: Zero

UC will play four road non-conference games this season alone. That's three more than Ohio State will play in the next four years combined. That is truly pathetic.

They are not afraid to play UC. Money is the reason.
    Or maybe it's because they just don't like going on the road in non-conference games.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 11-24-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

There are a lot of people around here not at all objective about OSU, and it's definitely not just the Buckeye fans.

Put me in the camp that thinks the Buckeyes of the last half of the season would handle UC pretty easily. Not saying it would be a blowout, but I think it would be decisive. And I think it's probably closer to 7-8 out of 10. If that makes me bias, unobjective, or whatever else, so be it. I'm usually not at all unrealistic about the teams I follow, so I would have no problem comparing them unfavorably to other teams if that's the way it is. And while I don't follow UC football, I always root for the local teams, so I would love UC to be in the BCS.

And if someone thinks the current version of OSU is the same team that struggled with Ohio early in the season, then I would suggest it's them not being objective. It's not the same team with a healthy Beanie and an experienced Pryor.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I think that on the basis of this year, I would take Tony Pike over Tyrell Pryor.
    Okie-dokie

Passing
    YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
    Pike 2008 CIN 142 226 62.8 1788 7.9 15 67 4 147.66
    Pryor 2008 OSU 95 152 62.5 1245 8.2 12 56 4 152.09

Rushing Stats Pike
    YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
    2007 CIN 7 75 10.7 35 0 0 0 0
    2008 CIN 37 41 1.1 14 1 0 0 0

Pryor
    2008 OHST 124 553 4.5 38 6 0 0 0
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Wrong.

The game against Cal is in Columbus on September 15, 2012. The UC game is in Columbus on September 8, 2012. Ohio State's other two non-conference games are also at home.

OSU future road non-conference games ...

2009: Zero
    2010: Zero
    2011: @ Miami (FL)
    2012: Zero

UC will play four road non-conference games this season alone. That's three more than Ohio State will play in the next four years combined. That is truly pathetic.

Or maybe it's because they just don't like going on the road in non-conference games.
    OSU has a neutral site game against Toledo in Cleveland in 2009.

UC needs the cash, end of story. UC fans are totally forgetting what happened to their Athletic Department Treasury. The Huggins Buyout and Donor Fallout, the drop in attendance, and the necessary demands of Brian Kelly, make them a cash strapped operation. Ohio State could easily tell UC to take a hike, why didn't they? Because UC wants the money!!! UC has to play OOC road games to stay afloat. That is what is pathetic. If you want to sit at the big boy table, play your games at PBS. Until then be glad you can take the hand me down scraps from Ohio State.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

UC has to play OOC road games to stay afloat. That is what is pathetic. If you want to sit at the big boy table, play your games at PBS. Until then be glad you can take the hand me down scraps from Ohio State.
    Next time I hear somebody say they don't like Ohio State because of their fans, I'll know why after reading those four sentences above.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    OSU has a neutral site game against Toledo in Cleveland in 2009.

UC needs the cash, end of story. UC fans are totally forgetting what happened to their Athletic Department Treasury. The Huggins Buyout and Donor Fallout, the drop in attendance, and the necessary demands of Brian Kelly, make them a cash strapped operation. Ohio State could easily tell UC to take a hike, why didn't they? Because UC wants the money!!! UC has to play OOC road games to stay afloat. That is what is pathetic. If you want to sit at the big boy table, play your games at PBS. Until then be glad you can take the hand me down scraps from Ohio State.
    "I'll play anybody anywhere anyplace. My philosophy has always been that we need to play Ohio State. If they don't want to play here, I'll play them in a parking lot in Xenia." - Brian Kelly
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Next time I hear somebody say they don't like Ohio State because of their fans, I'll know why after reading those four sentences above.
    tOSU fans still aren't as bad as Notre Dame Football fans or Duke Basketball fans, though...

Call it a close 3rd.... for college sports, at least...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    "I'll play anybody anywhere anyplace. My philosophy has always been that we need to play Ohio State. If they don't want to play here, I'll play them in a parking lot in Xenia." - Brian Kelly
    You'd think Tressel would embrace a UC - tOSU emerging rivalry, since I have a feeling that over the next 10 years the tOSU - Michigan rivalry will be a joke.

Turn Off Ads?