Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Buchholz

7 7.14%
  • Dallas Buck

6 6.12%
  • Carlos Fisher

20 20.41%
  • Ryan Hanigan

7 7.14%
  • Chris Heisey

9 9.18%
  • Danny Ray Herrera

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

4 4.08%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Ben Jukich

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.04%
  • Matt Maloney

25 25.51%
  • Robert Manuel

0 0%
  • Adam Rosales

1 1.02%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

7 7.14%
  • Justin Turner

8 8.16%
  • Pedro Viola

0 0%
  • Brandon Waring

1 1.02%
  • Sean Watson

0 0%
  • Travis Wood

1 1.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect #5 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect #6 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect #7 - Daryl Thompson
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect #9 - Juan Duran
    Prospect #10 - Chris Dickerson
    Prospect #11 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect #12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect #13 - Yorman Rodriguez
    Prospect #14 - Zach Stewart
    Prospect #15 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect #16 - Ramon Ramirez
    Prospect #17 - Zach Cozart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

I again go with Carlos Fisher. Big frame, good strikeout totals along with groundball tendencies. Like Josh Roenicke, he's got a fresh arm since he didn't start pitching until just a few years ago.

Carlos Fisher showed a lot in his limited time in AAA.

I've been touting Fisher as a sleeper for 2 years now and I like the kid a lot (see my Avatar), but he has bad stretches that scare the heck out of me and his performance in the AFL is a perfect example. I still think Fisher could be a solid middle inning guy, but I've dropped my expectations a bit.

So, I'm going with Chris Heisey at this spot. Right now, the difference that I can see between Heisey and Drew Stubbs lies mostly in hype and the hope that Stubbs adds some significant power. If it were me, I'd deal Stubbs and cash in on the hype and the potential to fill a need at a different spot and keep Heisey and likely end up with the same player. Stubbs status clearly gives him more value (I have him at number 4 as a result) to bring something back in trade, but IMO Heisey will be the same player at the big league level. I have Heisey at 12 on my personal list and go with him here.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-23-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I voted for Sam Lecure just edging out Fisher.

Folks may remember that Lecure had a big year in 2008. At AA, he dominated during June. After an injury he fell back a bit in July. Then in August he again was extremely effective and pitched 7 perfect innings on August 9.

In June, Lecure had a 1.73 ERA and a 4-1 record. Allowed no homers that month. 36 innings, 23 hits and 10 walks allowed. 31 Ks.

Overall he had 3.42 ERA and 128 Ks in 155 innings. 147 hits in those 155 innings. 1.32 WHIP, very good number for a starter.

Lecure really emerged last season and if he continues at AAA he could become a solid starting pitcher. So I think he deserves some votes.

Fisher has a more projectable frame and I understand why some prefer him. I'm voting Lecure instead because he still projects as a starter. Both of them should be in the top 20.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-23-2008 at 08:52 AM.

I want to vote for Ismael Guillon, but he isn't there.

If someone wants to argue that he doesn't belong on the list because he hasn't played professionally, Juan Carlos Sulbaran is already on the list.

And if someone wants to argue that he's too young, we've already got Yorman Rodriguez on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I want to vote for Ismael Guillon, but he isn't there.

If someone wants to argue that he doesn't belong on the list because he hasn't played professionally, Juan Carlos Sulbaran is already on the list.

And if someone wants to argue that he's too young, we've already got Yorman Rodriguez on the list.
    I plan on adding Ismael Guillon and Junior Arias to the next poll.

Maloney, seriously. He deserves to be in there already.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I plan on adding Ismael Guillon and Junior Arias to the next poll.
    I think it's a bit premature for Arias. If you're going to add Junior Arias, you might want to consider adding other players with similar hype (and signing bonuses) such as Tzu-Kai Chiu and Yen-Wen Kuo.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think it's a bit premature for Arias. If you're going to add Junior Arias, you might want to consider adding other players with similar hype (and signing bonuses) such as Tzu-Kai Chiu and Yen-Wen Kuo.
    Chiu and Kuo don't have the upside of an Arias or Guillon.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chiu and Kuo don't have the upside of an Arias or Guillon.
    For argument's sake, I'd say that at least 80% of the prospects currently on the list don't have the upside that Guillon does.

I don't have anything against Arias. I just don't see how you could argue for him at this point with the lack of information and hype on him. At least Yorman Rodriguez received nearly $3mm, which is about ten times more than what Arias received. A $3,000,000 signing bonus is typically an early first round draft pick. Even Guillon received a signing bonus worthy of a late first rounder, iIrc. Arias, on the other hand, received $300,000 signing bonus, which normally equates to a third round draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Maloney, seriously. He deserves to be in there already.
    I dunno, Juan Carlos Sulbaran signed for a lot of money and one of the minor league publications wrote a nice blurb about him. And Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez got a bunch of money too, plus someone who's paid to hype prospects said they are going to be awesome. Compared to all that Maloney's habit of "getting guys out" is pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I dunno, Juan Carlos Sulbaran signed for a lot of money and one of the minor league publications wrote a nice blurb about him. And Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez got a bunch of money too, plus someone who's paid to hype prospects said they are going to be awesome. Compared to all that Maloney's habit of "getting guys out" is pretty boring.
    It's all about projections. And most project Maloney to be a decent #5. That's why there's no "excitement" for him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It's all about projections. And most project Maloney to be a decent #5. That's why there's no "excitement" for him IMO.
    I know. If I had Maloney pegged as a back of the rotation starter (say I was predicting a 5.00 ERA from him during his prime), I'd still rank him way higher than Juan Carlos Sulbaran.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I know. If I had Maloney pegged as a back of the rotation starter (say I was predicting a 5.00 ERA from him during his prime), I'd still rank him way higher than Juan Carlos Sulbaran.
    Why? Because he is closer to getting smacked around in the show, or do you think that Sulbaran has less talent than Maloney?

Turn Off Ads?