Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching the NBA?

Anyone watching the NBA?

This season is shaping up very nicely. The two leagues are evening out, there are a ton of intriguing stories, and there is a reason to watch every team in the league. Even the bad ones.

But is anyone watching? I sometimes feel like Tom Hanks' castaway character talking to a stuffed volleyball when it comes to the NBA...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Anyone watching the NBA?

The stuffed volleyball understands the concept of team defense.
    Witty signature.

seriously,

The NBA really starts to heat up for me after Christmas. Thats when teams really start to seperate and the quality of play gets a little better. That being said, I have really enjoyed reading about the Celtics and the Cavs. As a product, it is much better than it has been in years.
    Witty signature.

I tend to not watch games, only highlights, until about April. The NBA season just seems to long for me without having a team that I root for day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Here is what is funny about this comment and those like it. People loved the NBA the most in the 80's with Bird and Magic. Well...NONE of those teams played any defense. It wasn't until the Pistons came around that the defense improved, and that corresponded with an era where people complained about the lack of offense. Well, you can't have it both ways.

Besides, I would argue that the Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, Hawks, Mavs, Rockets, and Blazers all play excellent team defense.

One more thing, if you're such a fan of team defense, what are you doing watching the Reds? Ba-dum Ching....I'll be here all week...

I'm watching it, and I'm loving it. It's been a fun year so far. Will be interesting to see if the Spurs can get healthy and return to form. That team isn't getting any younger, and they seem to be less athletic every year. I would never count out a Popovich-coached team... but the year isn't looking promising so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm watching it, and I'm loving it. It's been a fun year so far. Will be interesting to see if the Spurs can get healthy and return to form. That team isn't getting any younger, and they seem to be less athletic every year. I would never count out a Popovich-coached team... but the year isn't looking promising so far.
    I agree. I think Ginobili will returned more rested than he has been since he joined the Spurs and is going to go crazy. Their role players kind of scare me, but they are getting valuable playing time. Plus, Duncan makes every player on the court 25-50% better.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    One more thing, if you're such a fan of team defense, what are you doing watching the Reds? Ba-dum Ching....I'll be here all week...
    What can I say, you got me there.

Regarding the Lakers-Celtics era, it was less of the M and the E in TEAM. The player in the NBA's recent past has been all about the player. The bling, the posse, the snippet on MTV's Cribs. I now see The NBA adopt a team first ethos since Detroit and San Antonio rose to prominence. Teams like the Knicks, who still adopt the Superstar First image, continue to suck.

Like I said, it is getting much better.
    Witty signature.

What can I say, you got me there.

Regarding the Lakers-Celtics era, it was less of the M and the E in TEAM. The player in the NBA's recent past has been all about the player. The bling, the posse, the snippet on MTV's Cribs. I now see The NBA adopt a team first ethos since Detroit and San Antonio rose to prominence. Teams like the Knicks, who still adopt the Superstar First image, continue to suck.
    That probably applied more from 1995-2004-ish. But the list of great players who play the "right way" is growing every year. Some of the credit goes to the internationals, but alot of it goes to the American born stars too.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    That probably applied more from 1995-2004-ish. But the list of great players who play the "right way" is growing every year. Some of the credit goes to the internationals, but alot of it goes to the American born stars too.
    I agree. I'm really interested in Greg Odens growth. since a slow start, he has really stepped it up.
    Witty signature.

Not alot of NBA fans on this board, but I love it. My Pacers are competing somewhat this year, well at least keeping it close anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Not alot of NBA fans on this board, but I love it. My Pacers are competing somewhat this year, well at least keeping it close anyways.
    When is Dunleavy coming back?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I watch, but I agree with Sonny. I prefer an offensive oriented game. However, I want to see ball rotation and good outside shooting with the occasional spectacular break your man down and drive from a guard. I get so tired of offense that's either isolation after isolation play with the aim of getting fouled. I wonder how many FT/G we see today compared to back in the 80s and what sort of comparison we see with FG% outside of 5 feet.

In some ways, it seems that the NBA has realized the value of walks (free throws) and homers (3 pt) and nobody plays small ball anymore. Ironic coming from me, but I prefer the old school style.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm in first place in both my fantasy leagues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?