Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

  1. #1
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,387

    Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    776

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Damn. Two of them in short order. RIP Jerry.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  4. #3
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,576

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Great coach. I loved the style of play he coached. It was run and gun with very good defense. They were always a lot of fun to watch. I also liked him because he wasn't afraid to take on the NCAA and all of their stupid rules. I think he more than anyone made people aware of the stupidity of some of the rules and the level of corruption the NCAA had and still has to this day. I'm sure Tark will be waiting outside of the Pearly Gates chewing on a towel wondering if he will get in. My bet is that he will. RIP Tark.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-13-2015)

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Great coach. I loved the style of play he coached. It was run and gun with very good defense. They were always a lot of fun to watch. I also liked him because he wasn't afraid to take on the NCAA and all of their stupid rules. I think he more than anyone made people aware of the stupidity of some of the rules and the level of corruption the NCAA had and still has to this day. I'm sure Tark will be waiting outside of the Pearly Gates chewing on a towel wondering if he will get in. My bet is that he will. RIP Tark.
    My favorite quote by Tark and this is paraphrasing is "the NCAA is so mad about UCLA's cheating they are putting us on probation". Pretty sure he cheated or was existing in the gray area but he still wasn't afraid to call out hipopcrocy.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  7. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-13-2015)

  8. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    My favorite quote by Tark and this is paraphrasing is "the NCAA is so mad about UCLA's cheating they are putting us on probation". Pretty sure he cheated or was existing in the gray area but he still wasn't afraid to call out hipopcrocy.
    I think it was actually that the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they were going to put Cleveland State on probation.

  9. Likes:

    Chip R (02-12-2015)

  10. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think it was actually that the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they were going to put Cleveland State on probation.
    Nah, it was when he was at Fresno St. and St Wooden was at UCLA
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    “The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky,” Tark famously said,” it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years of probation.”

    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...s-passed-away/

    By the way, by the time Tark got to Fresno Wooden was long, long gone. Tark was at Long Beach in that timeframe, though.

  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    In fairness, he apparently used that line multiple times, because this one is also credited to him (though the Kentucky one is more well-known):

    "The NCAA is so upset at UCLA they’ll put Northridge on two years' probation," he once said.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LF23E20150211

  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    In fairness, he apparently used that line multiple times, because this one is also credited to him (though the Kentucky one is more well-known):

    "The NCAA is so upset at UCLA they’ll put Northridge on two years' probation," he once said.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LF23E20150211
    You are correct, I got Fresno and Long Beach State mixed up. I remember the quote from a Runnin Rebels documentary.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  14. #10
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,745

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    The best basketball IMO is how his teams played, lots of shots, pressure defense, today's college game is a snooze fest compared to that.

    RIP.
    Go Gators!

  15. Likes:

    _Sir_Charles_ (02-12-2015)

  16. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    I loved that they played the amoeba defense. To this day, I have no idea what the amoeba defense was, but that was the best name for a defense in the history of ever.

  17. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-13-2015)

  18. #12
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,480

    Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I loved that they played the amoeba defense. To this day, I have no idea what the amoeba defense was, but that was the best name for a defense in the history of ever.
    Name:  9780130691392.OL.0.m.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  7.1 KB

    Bought this. Read it cover to cover a couple times. Still not sure what an amoeba defense is.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25