Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

This is the most intriguing season in a long time. It might go terribly or it might go well, but it definitely won't be boring. Playing the underdog in the A10 will be an interesting experience.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Five Observations From Xavier.

FINAL ANALYSIS

The expectations may be lower than usual for this program but Xavier coach Chris Mack has to love the fact that his team is flying under the radar. The Musketeers inexperience could hold them back early but the combination of Christon and Davis is good enough to develop into a quality back court by the middle of the Atlantic 10 schedule. Xavier may not be battle tested enough this season to compete for a league title, but they’re far from a pushover. This team will be better than people anticipate.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...s-from-xavier/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Not exactly what I was expecting tonight in the opener. FDU is obviously horrible, but maybe this Xavier team isn't going to be so bad afterall. Dee Davis looks like a superstar. Certainly looking forward to what this team might look like with a healthy Semaj and Philmore after his suspension. I can't imagine Semaj playing on Tuesday, so Butler will probably be a struggle, but this season looks a lot more interesting now than it did 6 hours ago.

The way this team moves the ball is excellent. There seems to be a true team concept for the first time in a few years.

i like being the underdog for once. to lose all 5 starters and two incoming recruits its hard to expect alot. even though Fd was a pushover friday i have higher hopes now for the season. to score 117 against anyone is encouraging. i know they were short handed but so were we.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I'm conflicted on the amount of 3's they took on Friday, but at least they made 13 of 21. Last year I thought they could have afforded more 3's, but this year they won't have the luxury of 3 amazing slashers (Tu, Mark, Dez), so it'll be a fun ride watching them bomb 3's. Live and die that way. Loved James Farr's easy stroke, that kid will get minutes and provide a nice matchup dimension for Mack. I'd say it's clear Mack has some talent to work with and that they are all putting in the effort you would know from any of the last 25 Xavier teams. That's a great sign. And it seems they have a quality leader in Dee Davis, a guy who knows how to win from his years taking state championships in Indiana. All the sudden, a nice top 7 has formed

Dee/Semaj
    Semaj/Redford
    Redford/Martin
    Robinson/Martin
    Stenger/Taylor

Hello, Butler. I hope you enjoyed your welcome to the A-10. I know it didn't count in the standings but it certainly put the rest of the conference on notice that the title still goes through Cincinnati.

Xavier playing way better than I thought they would, perhaps reports of their demise were over stated a touch.

Well now I'm screwed. Now I have actual expectations for this team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's kind of interesting how loose the team is playing on offense without one or two players monopolizing the ball in the half-court offense.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's kind of interesting how loose the team is playing on offense without one or two players monopolizing the ball in the half-court offense.
    And that goes back 3 years to when Crawford was there. All of a sudden, 26 foot 3 pointers were going up...and in. I loved it for a time, but I think fans are pleasantly surprised now with the new 'old' style that's being played this year.

The effect seems to be maximizing the talent they have, which makes you wonder why we all worried prior to this season since for 2 decades Xavier's gotten results without top recruiting classes. Guys like Martin and Redford can just put it in the bucket. Dee Davis is a bred winner. That right there is a strong start. Add in a few stretch 4's and some veterans in the frontcourt, and they've got a lot of talent. Oh yeah, then there's Semaj, one of the best frosh in the country.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Someone I know who follows XU about as closely as anyone can (and whose opinion I trust completely) said that he thought Semaj had a chance to be the best guard the program has ever produced.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Someone I know who follows XU about as closely as anyone can (and whose opinion I trust completely) said that he thought Semaj had a chance to be the best guard the program has ever produced.
    I suppose there's a chance. He comes in as the highest rated guard the program has ever signed. Among transfers in, only Drew Lavender was a more highly rated recruit out of high school.

My apologies for not being up on Xavier history, but as of now who would be called the "best guard in Xavier history?" Is it Larkin?

Larkin, Chalmers, Sato (more of a small forward I suppose), Crawford, Lavender, Tu.

Sort of a grab bag of very goodness. No guards as great as the big men produced (Strong, Williams, Hill, Grant, West, Posey).

Turn Off Ads?