Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

VMI is 174, and this is probably their best team ever. 174 is their HIGH water mark.

Fordham is terrible (I wish they were not in the A-14), and I bet they are better than VMI 8 out of 10 years. And even if you stretch and say their programs are even, Fordham is one of the premier academic institutions in the country and is in NYC. You can at least leverage some recruiting out of that (Xavier is recruiting that area heavily recently). VMI is in the middle of nowhere.

GW is terrible this year, but a couple of years ago they were something like 27-3 and ranked in the top 15. St. Bonaventure had a recruiting scandal that landed them in hot water, but they've got a passionate fanbase, and prior to that scandal had been a consistently pretty decent program (I recall them losing in OT to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament less than 10 years ago).

Three other teams you want Xavier to part with (UMass, SJU and URI) have been significantly better than Bradley or VMI. UMass was in the Final Four in '96, and though they have not done a ton since, they are generally respectable (they're pretty bad this year despite beating Kansas in KC). SJU was the #1 team in the country for most of '04. They're an NCAA bubble team right now (and most years). URI was in the top 25 for a good part of last year and has a fantastic basically new facility in Kingston. They, too, were looking like an NCAA team until they stumbled early in conference play (they choked down the stretch at Duke, too). Plus, all three of these schools are in the Northeast, where Xavier has decided it is important for them to be from a recruiting standpoint.

Your league is better this year, and I'd take a league with DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence in a heartbeat, but I don't see Bradley and VMI adding more than St. Bonaventure and Fordham, respectively, in the long haul, and neither are geographically where Xavier wants to be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No I'll agree VMI has not been a traditional power. And if you want to swap URI for them I probably won't argue. But I disagree that the geography of the A-10 helps Xavier. Xavier's not an east coast school. The original A-10 was all east coast schools before adding SLU, Dayton, and Xavier. I think it would benefit XU to be in the middle of a conference rather than the west coast of a conference.

You're right that Fordham is an elite academic university, but they play in a gym that Moeller High School would be embarrassed to call home.

UMass has basically repudiated the things that made them successful as a basketball school.

St. Joes, GW, URI, UMass are all reasonably good schools and have had occasional success, but I don't think they're necessarily better than Butler or Dayton on a year in year out basis. In the old MCC, it was Xavier, Evansville than everyone else. Now its Xavier, Dayton and one other school, and then everyone else.

What I fail to see is how being in the A-10 benefits XU at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It probably doesn't, but there is nowhere else to go, and I don't think getting back into a league that looks like the MCC is right for them.

For better or for worse, Xavier is committed to the East Coast presence. That was a major attraction for Xavier in the first place.

Jimmy Carter

That is how you do Senior Night.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

That was fun. My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Jimmy Carter
    What was up with that? I hope that was just randomness.

The home court advantage in the XU/UD series is pretty amazing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    What was up with that? I hope that was just randomness.
    Jimmy was our esteemed President the last time Dayton won on Xavier's home court.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The home court advantage in the XU/UD series is pretty amazing.
    Two special buildings and fanbases. I don't think alot of people understand how much those two athletic departments hate and respect each other. And that is every sport every year. That is what a rivalry is all about.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Jimmy Carter
    81-68

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    81-68
    And rapidly shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    81-68
    Dayton was awesome when the ball had laces.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Dayton was awesome when the ball had laces.
    I didn't realize they played with that type of ball on Feb 11 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I didn't realize they played with that type of ball on Feb 11 2009.
    Not sure why a UD fan would want to talk smack, given that they've lost like 18 of their last 22 against XU, but whatever.

I'd probably be more concerned about Duquesne and wrapping up an at-large if I was you.

Turn Off Ads?