Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 574

Thread: Xavier Basketball

  1. #166
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I tried to make the point about the swelled heads as delicately as I could because it's not an overarching problem, but I think it's natural to fall into a sense of "Well we beat Richmond by 25, now we can relax." The margin for error really is slim that any feelings like that can mean the difference between a 25 point win and a loss.
    I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

    Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

    Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.
    Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

    I don't mean any offense by it.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  4. #168
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

    I don't mean any offense by it.
    Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you!

    And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.

  5. #169
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you!

    And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.
    Well, another way of saying it all averages out. Before the Richmond game XU was shooting roughly 45.5% from the field. Against Richmond, they shot 26-53(49.1%) against Charlotte they shot 22-57(38.1%) At the end of the day, they're now shooting 45.3% from the field. If the Muskies were to shoot 23-46in their next game, they'd be back at exactly 45.5% for the season.

    All semantics I suppose, but that's what I'm referring to, whatever XU's true mean, the individual numbers will bounce above and below that all season. The shooting against Charlotte was the 2nd worst game of the year percentage wise, but there has to be a 2nd worst game of every year for every team.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  6. #170
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Nice bounce back win today against a scrappy St. Louis squad. Watching this game reinforced that Rick Majerus is one heck of a basketball coach.

  7. #171
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    The front page of Fox Sports after the win at Georgia was great: "Tu Legit To Quit."

  8. #172
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,130

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  9. #173
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.
    Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

    That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

    But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

    Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!

  11. #175
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,130

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

    That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

    But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

    Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.
    I guess a lot of us had the same thought...

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-coach-of-year

    Pay attention to the open sky

  12. #176
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!
    I'm sorry, but a win at Uga is more impressive than a win at Richmond.

    2 teams have beaten UGa in Athens: Xavier and Florida.

    3 teams have won at Richmond: Xavier, Rhode Island and Bucknell.

    Not downplaying the win @ Richmond. Great win. But going to Athens and winning is a huge check mark for their "resume."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  13. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Wasn't just the win at Richmond so much as they way they did it. I'm thrilled Xavier beat UGA, and I like the publicity Xavier is getting around it, but I was not one bit impressed by the 'Dawgs.

  14. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Now today was a HUGE win for the Muskies. All alone in first with the head to head tiebreaker over all three teams in second. That's a good place to be with six games to play.

  15. #179
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Dante Lawrence Jackson is back. That is all.

  16. #180
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Back in the AP Top 25, checking in at #24. X is #28 in the Coaches Poll.

    http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/A...nsas-No-1.html


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25