Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I doubt Dayton rolls over St. Joe's. They might win, but I bet it's tight.
    Yeah, let down game for sure. Plus Martelli may finally be getting his young guys to play right.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really like this draw for the Muskies. Marquette up first and then a date with 'Cuse or Indiana State with a win. In Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I really like this draw for the Muskies. Marquette up first and then a date with 'Cuse or Indiana State with a win. In Cleveland.
    I just hope MU leaves their 3 point shot at home. That's XU's achilles heel. I am very pleased with a 6 seed, especially in Cleveland. There are quite a few Clevelanders that went to X, plus all the travelers from Cincinnati. I wonder how OSU fans will cheer? They play after XU. Conversely, I wonder if XU fans will finally show their over the Thad Matta departure. At some point we have to welcome him back.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Conversely, I wonder if XU fans will finally show their over the Thad Matta departure. At some point we have to welcome him back.
    I am over Matta's departure, but I'll never be caught cheering for the Buckeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Bad matchups for X all around, I'd put 100 bucks on Marq over X and X has no chance vs Syracuse's zone.

My wife went to Marquette and I've watched them play about 10 times this season. They play about 9 deep and have 3 or 4 guys that can shoot the 3 really well. Jimmy Butler is their best all around player but occasionally disappers for long stretchs. Darius Johnson-Odom is their best guard and best three point shooter. Jae Crowder is their X-factor. When he is on they are very tough to beat. Marquette is not a very good defensive team which is why they are an 11 seed. However they play hard and have the offensive talent to play with anyone. This should be a great game.

Yeah, I'm thinking XU by 2 or MU by 5-7. It may take a late surge by X to win. I agree Syracuse is a terrible matchup for X if they get there. They don't have a zone buster inside or out. Redford would have made a huge difference this year, needless to say. It would truly be an upset to beat Syracuse, in my mind right now, and I'm a huge X fan. I'd feel better if X was just a bit better defensively. They just give up too many open 3's, especially to a well coached team that shares the ball.

I love this day. Let's get it started!!!

Can't wait! Let's go X!

Well that season ended with a thud.

That was so depressing I don't even feel like drinking.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Tough to win when your star player no-shows again in a big game and the other team suddenly can't miss when taking jump shots.

Not that I ever advocate blaming the officials, but this entire tournament has been filled with questionable offensive fouls, and this game was no exception. Way too many charges being called. It's almost as if the NCAA wants to penalize aggressive play around the cylinder.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's almost as if the NCAA wants to penalize aggressive play around the cylinder.
    I agree completely. The officiating style has been a complete shift from what we were seeing the entire regular season.

Buzz Williams has had his ups and downs this season, but he coached a great game tonight. Marquette had too many weapons and Buzz used them perfectly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Buzz Williams has had his ups and downs this season, but he coached a great game tonight. Marquette had too many weapons and Buzz used them perfectly.
    Marquette won because they played tremendous, physical, man-to-man defense and Xavier (specifically, Tu) didn't have an offensive answer. Lyons was nickle-dimed on two offensive foul calls and never was able to get into the flow of the game either. Too many weapons? I don't know that I'd go that far. Marquette is a pretty mediocre team that shot the ball extremely well tonight. A hot night from the field is all it takes to win most of these tournament games. Marquette was hot, Xavier was ice cold from the tip on. In many ways, this was a replay of the shootout -- Xavier couldn't get Holloway on track at all, and the rest of the offense bogged down with his inability to score the ball.

Also, whoever gave Buzz Williams advice on his suit should be shot. Dude looked like he was going to participate in a mob hit after the game was over.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?