Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 574

Thread: Xavier Basketball

  1. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    "Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

    Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

    The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

    I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 03-19-2011 at 02:55 AM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #212
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    "Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

    Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

    The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

    I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.
    They most of the won the games they should have won, they lost most of the games they should have lost. They played well at home and had maybe 1 quality road win. They beat a good Notre Dame team at home, got beaten by an OK Cincinnati team at home. I wouldn't call that a particularly good team or a particularly bad team. When you add in their mid-60s RPI (last I checked), you get the full picture of "Eh...they're OK." Hence: mediocre.

    I'm not saying Xavier's better either, for the record. Marquette was the better team last night.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  4. #213
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.

  5. #214
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.
    Isn't there a UC thread around here?

  6. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Isn't there a UC thread around here?
    Give them a break. They've been waiting a long, long time for this.

    And it won't last very long.

  7. #216
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milford, Clifton
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Give them a break. They've been waiting a long, long time for this.

    And it won't last very long.
    That's what we were saying about 5 or so years ago, and you're run is over. Call me a troll if you want, but I'm standing up for my Cats.

    Also, X fans should be extremely proud of this years' X team - more impressive what they did this year than any of the past years IMO. They nearly ran the table in the a-10 with no depth and not much shooting. That's how you can tell if a program is going to continue succeeding - when they have solid years when they are down (UL, WVU also did it this year) talent wise.

    Cincy is not going away, we're here to stay - and anyone who thinks otherwise must think Mick is going to leave.

    I'm a HUGE UC fan and I HATE XU, but come on - is it that hard to admit that both programs are going to be successful and is it that hard to admit that despite Cincy's 5 or so years down (because of a flukey situation), that they are back to stay? Jeeeez.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

  8. #217
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

    How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.

  9. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    270

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.

  10. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.
    Exactly my point. This thread has existed for quite awhile. People have apparently been waiting to come out of the woodwork.

    I mean, this guy sure isn't mentioning what the OVC, CAA and WCC have done to the Big East. Or what an SEC team that lost by 30 in the Big Dance did to the Big East champs.

  11. #220
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milford, Clifton
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

    How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.
    Yes X will be good next year they will be able to shoot and have depth, barring anything unforeseen like Mack leaving. Anyone ripping on X's tourney performance this year can't look at things in perspective - X overcame tons of odds to even get in the tourney and like I said earlier in the thread - if I had 100 dollars to spend I would've put it on Marquette...it was one of the easiest picks for me in my bracket. Marq has depth, athleticism, defense and shooters - something that will destroy a thin Xavier team 9 out of 10 times.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

  12. #221
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Give them a break. They've been waiting a long, long time for this.

    And it won't last very long.
    I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #222
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milford, Clifton
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.
    X also has a few solid recruits coming in (Dezmine Wells being the best) along with a few guys healthy/eligible. UC has a 5 man class (Potentially 6) to replace all the seniors, but we'll have a nice core of Yancy, Cash, Dixon, Kilpatrick to score points..but we'll be less deep. It'll be an interesting shootout next year because X might be the deeper team.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

  14. #223
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!

  15. #224
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!
    Congrats. Tell someone who cares.

  16. #225
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: Xavier Basketball

    As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

    Cue mention of 50 year old national titles in 3, 2, 1....


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25