Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

"Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 03-19-2011 at 02:55 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    "Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.
    They most of the won the games they should have won, they lost most of the games they should have lost. They played well at home and had maybe 1 quality road win. They beat a good Notre Dame team at home, got beaten by an OK Cincinnati team at home. I wouldn't call that a particularly good team or a particularly bad team. When you add in their mid-60s RPI (last I checked), you get the full picture of "Eh...they're OK." Hence: mediocre.

I'm not saying Xavier's better either, for the record. Marquette was the better team last night.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.

I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.
    Isn't there a UC thread around here?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Isn't there a UC thread around here?
    Give them a break. They've been waiting a long, long time for this.

And it won't last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post

That's what we were saying about 5 or so years ago, and you're run is over. Call me a troll if you want, but I'm standing up for my Cats.

Also, X fans should be extremely proud of this years' X team - more impressive what they did this year than any of the past years IMO. They nearly ran the table in the a-10 with no depth and not much shooting. That's how you can tell if a program is going to continue succeeding - when they have solid years when they are down (UL, WVU also did it this year) talent wise.

Cincy is not going away, we're here to stay - and anyone who thinks otherwise must think Mick is going to leave.

I'm a HUGE UC fan and I HATE XU, but come on - is it that hard to admit that both programs are going to be successful and is it that hard to admit that despite Cincy's 5 or so years down (because of a flukey situation), that they are back to stay? Jeeeez.

I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.

jredmo2

The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.
    Exactly my point. This thread has existed for quite awhile. People have apparently been waiting to come out of the woodwork.

I mean, this guy sure isn't mentioning what the OVC, CAA and WCC have done to the Big East. Or what an SEC team that lost by 30 in the Big Dance did to the Big East champs.

I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.
    Yes X will be good next year they will be able to shoot and have depth, barring anything unforeseen like Mack leaving. Anyone ripping on X's tourney performance this year can't look at things in perspective - X overcame tons of odds to even get in the tourney and like I said earlier in the thread - if I had 100 dollars to spend I would've put it on Marquette...it was one of the easiest picks for me in my bracket. Marq has depth, athleticism, defense and shooters - something that will destroy a thin Xavier team 9 out of 10 times.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.
    X also has a few solid recruits coming in (Dezmine Wells being the best) along with a few guys healthy/eligible. UC has a 5 man class (Potentially 6) to replace all the seniors, but we'll have a nice core of Yancy, Cash, Dixon, Kilpatrick to score points..but we'll be less deep. It'll be an interesting shootout next year because X might be the deeper team.

Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!

Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!
    Congrats. Tell someone who cares.

As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

Cue mention of 50 year old national titles in 3, 2, 1....

Turn Off Ads?