Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

I hope you mean something other than Cantino. That's not much of a blow softener.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I hope you mean something other than Cantino. That's not much of a blow softener.
    I did mean someone else, but said someone else is going to Brewster to get his academics in order. Oh well.

Just disappointing really. Even as a UC fan, I thought he was one of the good guys too. Tons of potential, but maybe he can turn his life around after this and never do what ever it was he did again, bc I'm sure it was pretty bad to result in an expulsion.

Def a tough blow for XU, but I still think they'll be better than a lot of people think.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Just disappointing really. Even as a UC fan, I thought he was one of the good guys too. Tons of potential, but maybe he can turn his life around after this and never do what ever it was he did again, bc I'm sure it was pretty bad to result in an expulsion.

Def a tough blow for XU, but I still think they'll be better than a lot of people think.
    The rumor I heard from one of my coworkers that's a big XU fan is he was accused of rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    The rumor I heard from one of my coworkers that's a big XU fan is he was accused of rape.
    Wow. I'm shocked charges haven't been filed then.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Wow. I'm shocked charges haven't been filed then.
    Take it for what it's worth, and that's why I emphasized it's only a rumor, but until if and when he's charged, you're not going to hear what really happened that led to the expulsion. Clearly, even if it wasn't what I heard it was, it had to be something very serious in nature.

Based on today's developments, Xavier seems to have a nice big mess on their hands.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Based on today's developments, Xavier seems to have a nice big mess on their hands.
    The powers at Xavier have egg all over their faces on this one. The standard of proof for a Grand Jury indictment is far lower than required for a criminal conviction, and the grand jurors obviously felt the case against Wells didn't even rise to that level.

They should have waited for the legal process to play out -- at bare minimum, though, they should have at least waited for formal charges to be filed.

Now, they need to do the right thing and invite Wells back to the university and the basketball team.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Might as well get this started. (Can't you feel the excitement?!?!)

No, Xavier has not had a good year. Aside from another Sweet 16 appearance (4 or 5 in the last 6 years), the Muskies have lost all their starters from last year to graduation or bad circumstances.

They basically asked their leading returning scorer Mark Lyons to shape up or ship out, so he shipped out. He wanted to play point and they wanted him to play the 2. That's the official story, but there were still some issues with his dramatic attitude and it's effect on the other players, not to mention the national perception created by "the fight".

The mantle was passed to a quality young man in sophomore Dez Wells, who we then find out may not have been as quality as we thought, or at least made a bad choice and got extremely punished for it. He's gone.

Not much left of the roster when you take Tu Holloway and Kenny Frease out as well. There are about 15 points per game returning this year.

Well, I'm not that down on the 2012 Muskies, at least not as much as some. I'm just anxious to see them play. I think that there is some forgotten talent on this team in Brad Redford and Justin Martin, for example. Those guys have had to sit back during the Mark and Tu regime and learn lesser roles.

I think Redford's knee and his maturity could lead to him finally putting together some 20 point games. The kid can absolutely fill it up. If he finds 5 points a game inside the 3 point line and from the ft line, he could average 11-12 points a game.

Martin is a player who knows how to score inside and out. If his maturity and concentration elevate, he could also pleasantly surprise for an upward limit of 14 points per game.

The interior is full of unknowns. Farr is a frosh, but is a big kid, gym rat, and has a decent shot. Filmore is suspended for 3 games for paperwork that Towson forgot to file 3 years ago (yes, this is XU's offseason from hell). We won't know what he's about right away. Travis Taylor is supposed to benefit from not having so many brash players in his ear. In all, I just think they might often get pushed around in the paint. We'll see. They normally have someone with a wide load to anchor things and scrap. Jeff Robinson's a senior, that's his best quality.

Lot's more to think about, but this is a start. I'm looking forward to seeing all the games this year, even if it's a rebuilding year. Those don't come around too often for XU, so there is some kind of reminiscent interest I have in the prospects of a new foundation.

Is Cantino eligible? I had seen some questions about that from X fans, but never did here if he was officially added to the roster and cleared to play.

If you're counting on Redford for 20 points, you better worry about the 20+ he's going to give up on defense. He wasn't forced into an inferrior role so much b/c of the talent at gaurd last season (although Lyons & Tu would limit a lot of college gaurd's minutes) but because he's a complete liability on the defensive end, and for the most part a 1 trick pony offensively. Despite his relatively poor shooting from 3 range last year, he was prior to his injury as good an open shooter as I've ever seen in college. However, he was on the short side in height, a step or three slow, and pretty easy to gaurd as long as your defense remained committed to him. he hasn't grown anything in height as far as I know, and he certainly isn't any faster or more athletic, so he's not going to be creating many of his own shots. Defensively, he is and always has been outmatched on the A-10 level. He can't stay in front of his defender in man2man, he can't outmuscle the typical opposing SG for a rebound.

If X has to count on Redmond for significant minutes this season, they're going to be in huge trouble. Sure there will be nights where the oppossing defense slacks off and gives him space to catch and shot open 3 pointers, letting him post 20+ from time to time, but there will be too many nights where the oppossition will assign their worst perimeter defender to stick close to him and limit the amount of open looks while abusing him on the other end for easy buckets.

I'm intrested to see what Philmore can do as UD recruited him as well when he transferred. he certainly put up points as a 1 man show at his previous shot, and its not like the CAA is a slouch conference, so the numbers should translate well. Its a shame X has to deal w/ the ramifications for him playing too many summer hoops 3 years ago; I wish X could appeal (maybe they can), b/c its pure BS that X has to deal with it. I realize the penalty is on the player in this case, but X is going to suffer the consequences in the first 3 games.
    Last edited by medford; 10-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Xavier is going to be counting on Redford to play significant minutes. It's just the reality of the roster. He'll have to shoot a very high percentage from behind the arc to be effective, of course, but I think his defensive woes are overstated here. He's not a great (or even average) defender, but he's not that bad, either. X may have to play more zone than Mack has generally liked to hide Brad a bit when he's out there for longer stretches, but I'm less worried about Redford than I am about other positions on the floor.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I haven't heard anything from the open gyms, but Redford looked lost offensively last season coming back from his knee injury.

I don't know that counting on him for anything is a smart idea. But, I also don't know that there's anything else they can do.

I have a feeling it's going to be a really long season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

All good points on Redford. For some reason I didn't even consider his defense. Probably too worried about cobbling together 55-60 points per game somehow. Indeed, if he scores 20 some time, it'll be against a team with no offensive threat, or he'll be giving a lot back. He is a pretty poor defender. He, like Robinson, will hopefully take their game to that "senior" level that you hope for.

On an extremely positive note, I thought Semaj looked studly during the Madness event. I just saw video, but he looks a lot bigger than his junior year of HS videos I've seen. I really, really like his chances to start every game while garnering 30-32 mpg. As a frosh, that will be priceless. He's tall enough to play the 2, which if Redford is lacking, will be an excellent development.

Dee Davis
    Semaj
    Martin
    eek
    eek

Cantino is not eligible yet. Still waiting to hear back on that. I'd guess him and Philmore would play the 4 and 5. Although, it sounds as if Mack is depending on Taylor to be a big part of the interior. He will. It likely won't change that he'll be outsized in that role, physically and talent-wise.

Robinson and Martin may actually trade time at the 3 and 4. It's been 4-5 years since Xavier had a 3/4 combo player (Duncan, Brown, etc.). Now, if they actually have 2 of those guys, and if they can actually perform their roles in a meaningful way, that could actually guide XU forward significantly. A lot of big IF's though.

Turn Off Ads?