Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Xavier Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    An incredible class. Even better, I think the eligibility issues are minimal.
    And, no one projects as a 1 and done.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

reds1869 (11-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So, that was fun.

Need to follow it up with a win next weekend at Alabama and a win over Wake the following weekend. 10-3 in the non-conference would be a pretty good result that seemed impossible after the USC debacle.

That comeback win over Georgetown was a thing of beauty. Even the comeback that fell short against Creighton was encouraging. This team has the potential to be special.

7. Likes:

mdccclxix (01-16-2014)

Perimeter defense is a serious concern still -- they can't let teams drop 3s at will on them and expect to battle back every time.

Still, it was a hell of a win tonight. Have to love that they have so many people who can score the basketball without relying on Semaj to do all the work.

Fantastic comeback, and (bringing it back to this being RedsZone) good to see Mat and Dallas Latos and Sam LeCure in the house to watch the Muskies as well as Sam's girlfriend in action for CBS College Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fantastic comeback, and (bringing it back to this being RedsZone) good to see Mat and Dallas Latos and Sam LeCure in the house to watch the Muskies as well as Sam's girlfriend in action for CBS College Sports.
    Xavier is, apparently, comping any Reds/Bengals player who wants to come by and catch a game with courtsides or first row tickets.

It's a pretty shrewd move from a marketing standpoint -- even a city as laid back and non-celebrity obsessed as Cincinnati, it still gives the games more of a "place to be" feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Perimeter defense is a serious concern still -- they can't let teams drop 3s at will on them and expect to battle back every time.

Still, it was a hell of a win tonight. Have to love that they have so many people who can score the basketball without relying on Semaj to do all the work.
    Dee, Brandon, Semaj, and Myles are all pretty short to be effective against the 3. XU has always been susceptible to the 3 under Mack, IMO. It's their achilles heel. In the A10 St. Louis, Dayton, St. Joes, Temple and VCU all had success heaving 3's. I don't know, if a team knows to be ready to shoot they will be open to shoot. Stanley Burrell, BJ Raymond, Josh Duncan and company were much harder to get a shot off of and Miller may have had a slightly different approach to guarding the 3. Anyway, the 3 will continue to be a concern for me, but I don't think anything will change, teams will be hot or cold vs X and that seems to be all. That and Cintas seems to have pretty good sight lines I guess.

The place was a paper and packaging convention the first half, then the second half was good from the 14 minute mark on.

Smith-Rivera, who decommitted from XU after the Brawl I believe, was slinging daggers all game and loving the hate coming at him from the fans, but at the end he air balled a 3 pointer and the crowd won out over him. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Dee, Brandon, Semaj, and Myles are all pretty short to be effective against the 3. XU has always been susceptible to the 3 under Mack, IMO. It's their achilles heel. In the A10 St. Louis, Dayton, St. Joes, Temple and VCU all had success heaving 3's. I don't know, if a team knows to be ready to shoot they will be open to shoot. Stanley Burrell, BJ Raymond, Josh Duncan and company were much harder to get a shot off of and Miller may have had a slightly different approach to guarding the 3. Anyway, the 3 will continue to be a concern for me, but I don't think anything will change, teams will be hot or cold vs X and that seems to be all. That and Cintas seems to have pretty good sight lines I guess.
    X runs almost exclusively man-to-man defense, which leaves them susceptible to high ball screens -- when they get lazy about fighting through the screens or communicating on the court to alert each other of the coming screen, they give up a lot of open looks for 3.

Big win today. Huge. Nice to be off the Bubble.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-01-2014),Spazzrico (03-02-2014)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Big win today. Huge. Nice to be off the Bubble.
    Caught a little bit of it.......HUGE win!

And back to Bubble Land we go. Hopefully Stain isn't too badly injured for next season.

Seaton Hall is legitimately terrible -- I don't understand how the team could look so bad against them twice in a season.

Who would have thought that we'd live to see the day that the A10 has twice as many NCAA tournament worthy teams as the Big East? The A10 has six 20 win teams--all ranked in the RPI top 50; whereas the Big East only has 3 such teams. Luckily Xavier is one of those teams. I do think they'll make the tournament by an eyelash

Turn Off Ads?