Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'm still not impressed with X's guards (Raymond technically starts at guard, but really is a 3), but those bigs are tremendous. They beat the crap out of LSU lanky big guys. Frease had a great game, and Love was his usual, understated self.
    I don't think you ever will be impressed with their guards this year and I think that's what could hold them back in March. Holloway is still learning, Jackson hasn't really found his niche, and all we've seen Redford do is fire three pointers. There's a few more months to figure it out but they still commit way too many turnovers. Having said that, they are really fun to watch because of how well coached they are..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I am, as most of you know, a UC fan first and foremost...that won't change.

I attended the X game last night. It was my first X game ever, and my first visit to the Cintas Center.

They're a fun team to watch, and I love their facility!

That was an awful game. Charlotte was so bad that even Xavier didn't seem to care.

Charlotte is bad...but Xavier does everything right....I enjoyed that.

The Dayton game was the one we wanted to go to...but, as always, it's sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I attended the X game last night. It was my first X game ever, and my first visit to the Cintas Center.
    It was a huge crowd for a non-glamorous opponent during a horrible storm. I suspect that in terms of butts in seats, they outdrew UC-Georgetown.

Was it a boring slog? Yep. Charlotte looked jaded and disinterested, X had them in tatters by halftime and the rest was sloppy. But I'll take that over some of the hair-raising home escapes UD and St. Joseph's have had this year.

Still don't understand Daugherty's insistence that X has "outgrown" the A-10 and needs to leave. Especially since he has failed on numerous occasions to explain where they are supposed to go. But frankly I think most of the media in this town, like Matt, are UC fans and have little more than a working knowledge of XU basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    It was a huge crowd for a non-glamorous opponent during a horrible storm. I suspect that in terms of butts in seats, they outdrew UC-Georgetown.

Was it a boring slog? Yep. Charlotte looked jaded and disinterested, X had them in tatters by halftime and the rest was sloppy. But I'll take that over some of the hair-raising home escapes UD and St. Joseph's have had this year.

Still don't understand Daugherty's insistence that X has "outgrown" the A-10 and needs to leave. Especially since he has failed on numerous occasions to explain where they are supposed to go. But frankly I think most of the media in this town, like Matt, are UC fans and have little more than a working knowledge of XU basketball.
    It would be a stretch and is probably unrealistic but I'd love to see them join the ACC and just kick everyone's ass in that conference. I would become a huge X fan if they were in that conference.

They allow Duke in the ACC without a football program, so why not Xavier!

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post

I actually agree with Daugherty, the A-10 is a joke, and is about to be passed by leagues like the Horizon league as far as stature. Without XU right now, the league would be lucky to have a conference champion garner higher than a 13th seed.

I'd actually propose a new league form with the following schools.
    XU
    Butler
    Dayton
    St. Louis
    Temple
    VMI
    Creighton
    Bradley
    Depaul
    Providence

It might be hard to grab teams out of the Big East, but the other schools would jump at the chance. For the most part they are similar missions to XU, and would elevate XU's competition and RPI instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

VMI?!? Bradley?!? Umm, no.

Bradley would probably be at the bottom of the league, but I'd give them better odds on improving to mediocre than I would Fordham.

VMI is definately an up and coming program(there Kentucky fans I said it.) Again, they'd certainly have trouble initially but if they were in a league with stronger teams, I think they'd be a good bet to continue their upward arc.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

You really think Xavier would prefer to be in a league with VMI and Bradley than one with Rhode Island, St. Joe's and UMass (all of whom have been to the Elite Eight or beyond in the past 13 years)?

All of whom are currently headed down, and have almost no dedication or direction currently to challenge Xavier.

There are certain A-10 teams that have legitimate aspirations, but the mediocre bottom half of the league isn't even mediocre.

I can guarantee you they'd rather be in a league right now with Bradley and VMI than with Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Fordham.

I doubt it. Certainly not VMI.

I'm curious, what specifically about VMI would be worse than the Bonnies or Fordham?

While a one year rpi ranking is certainly not the complete picture, this is the RPI of the teams' I'd have in my conference.

Xavier 13
    Butler 22
    Temple 47
    Providence 66
    Creighton 81
    Dayton 84
    Bradley 108
    St. Louis 173
    VMI 174
    Depaul 175

Average league RPI: 94.3
    Average RPI of A-10: 131.3
    The A-10's RPI is currently being helped by GW at 207, St.Bonaventure at 198,and Fordham at 298.

Now admittedly, leagues are not only made for basketball, but as a basketball I don't think there's much of an argument that the new Easternish conference would be better for Xavier than the A-10.

There're 14 teams in the A10...so it's another lying league

They should call it "Xavier's league" or "Xavier and the other guys"

Turn Off Ads?