Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

Seriously though, I think UD's program is really moving in the right direction. Marcus Johnson is probably the best all-around player they've had up there in a decade. Hopefully next year they will challenge themselves a little more in the non-conference.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Not sure why a UD fan would want to talk smack, given that they've lost like 18 of their last 22 against XU, but whatever.

I'd probably be more concerned about Duquesne and wrapping up an at-large if I was you.
    He wasn't talking smack, just contradicting what you said.

And if xavier had been more concerned about Duquesne when they played, last night's game wouldn't have been so important.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    And rapidly shrinking.
    Rapidly? Hasn't shrank at all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    And if xavier had been more concerned about Duquesne when they played, last night's game wouldn't have been so important.
    That game would have been important regardless, last chance at a Top 50 win on senior night against a hated rival. And on national TV, no less.

X's loss to Duquesne didn't bug me that much, it was the inexplicable tankjob against Charlotte that tightened up the A-10 standings. I really can't understand how a team like Charlotte can light up Dayton and Xavier and then completely fall apart against the dregs of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Rapidly? Hasn't shrank at all this year.
    Yet.

I really can't understand how a team like Charlotte can light up Dayton and Xavier and then completely fall apart against the dregs of the conference.
    I think this year it had a lot to do with injuries, as far as Charlotte goes. They were finally at full-strength when they played UD and xavier and are a very athletic team, which means they match up well against both. I want as far away from them in the tourney as we can get because they are much better than their record shows.

Yet.
    Actually, I think with the talent and athleticism that BG is now bringing in, the recent lopsidedness in this series is over. I expect many hard-fought and tight contests between these two teams for several years to come.

I'm glad Gregory is upgrading the talent. It's definitely good for the league if Dayton continues to improve (and for God's sake wins an NCAA Tournament game - George Bush the First is looking your way). But Xavier's recruiting has improved every year under Miller so far as well, so it's not going to be easy for Dayton to get back on the winning side consistently in this series (at least I sure as hell hope it's not easy!).

But Xavier's recruiting has improved every year under Miller so far as well, so it's not going to be easy for Dayton to get back on the winning side consistently in this series (at least I sure as hell hope it's not easy!).
    Not saying it's going to be easy at all, but he is finally getting the athletes that can compete year in and year out with the likes of xavier. I also think Miller's recruiting has leveled off a bit, and it's also going to get more difficult keeping him at xavier.

Really? I'm not sure how Xavier's recruiting has leveled off. Xavier's freshman class is fantastic, and Jordan Crawford becomes part of that class next year. Guys like Parrom, Weatherspoon and Latham are all as highly touted as anyone Miller has ever landed. The talent level on Victory Parkway seems to be getting higher every year.

Really? I'm not sure how Xavier's recruiting has leveled off. Xavier's freshman class is fantastic, and Jordan Crawford becomes part of that class next year. Guys like Parrom, Weatherspoon and Latham are all as highly touted as anyone Miller has ever landed. The talent level on Victory Parkway seems to be getting higher every year.
    Yeah, that comment reeks of wishful thinking more than anything else. X brought in their highest-ranked recruit ever last year in Frease (who is developing steadily) and influential role players in McLean and Redford. Parrom is a nice get, and if X is able to land Top-100 big man Kyryl Nataschko (sp is wrong) they will have another outstanding class.

Not to mention that according to Coach Miller, the team's best player in practice and best point guard are both in warmup suits at every game.

I've been hearing about Dayton's great recruiting classes since Gregory became coach. And they've brought in some nice talent--Meacham, Wright, Marcus Johnson, Staten is a great get for them. And yet it's X that continues to win A-10 titles, continues to have the edge in the recent head-to-head matchup, and continues to enhance an already established national profile.

I don't think X is going to land Kyryl. Right now it appears John Groce is working his magic and will bring him to OU.

In regards to Dayton/Xavier - Xavier's not leveling off, but Dayton is improving rapidly. It's going to be fun watching these two teams play each other 2-3 times a year. I would be shocked if either finished outside the top 3 in the A10 for the foreseeable future. No other team in the league is coming close to these two in recruiting. Charlotte can get a Braswell, La Salle can get a Murray, but UD and X are getting multiple top 100 types per year at this rate. That's simply above the rest of the A10.

I hope these two teams meet again in the finals of the A10 tourney.

24 wins with this personnel and schedule is fine. Losing to garbage like Richmond, Duquesne, and Charlotte is not.

I believe, by the way, that this makes five (blank)-outs by our road foes in the A-10, and that doesn't include Dayton inventing new uniforms for their game against us.

Bumped to note that Coach Mack has completed his staff by achieving a real coup, bringing Pat Kelsey back from Wake Forest. With Kelsey, Bino Ransom, and Travis Steele, the Muskies will have a trio of energetic, first-class recruiters. The only question mark is a lack of in-game coaching experience.

Bumped to note that Coach Mack has completed his staff by achieving a real coup, bringing Pat Kelsey back from Wake Forest. With Kelsey, Bino Ransom, and Travis Steele, the Muskies will have a trio of energetic, first-class recruiters. The only question mark is a lack of in-game coaching experience.
    If he brought Mick Cronin brought Bobby Brannen back to help coach big men, you'd have all four GCL schools represented between UC and XU.

Turn Off Ads?