Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

Last year, IMO princeton had the best pick with Ramon Ramirez. Because the Red's minor league system seems to have gotten more interesting, I'm changing it up a bit. You get two picks: 1 pitcher, 1 position player.

Pitcher: Jerry Gil. Strong arm and no expectations. Easy pick to surprise

Position Player: Brandon Waring. Kinda fell of in the second half after Frazier was promoted. K machine of Dunnian proportions. Needs to add about 15-20 BB's, but the power is there. His numbers will likely take a little hit next year in Sarasota or he could produce a Juan Francisco season offensively.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

Nice thread idea.

Pitcher = Derrick Lutz

Nothing more than sheer hope here, he could be a very strong asset if he puts it together finally.

Position = Logan Parker

The kid has the skills, I think he makes a leap to legit in '09.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Pitcher - Shea Snowden
    Player - Byron Wiley
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Position Player- Neftali Soto

Pitcher- Alexander Smit

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Position Player- Neftali Soto

Pitcher- Alexander Smit
    Soto's a sleeper? not on this board.

Pitcher: Clayton Shunick. I expect him to be dominant in Dayton.

Hitter: Cody Puckett. Playing middle infield still but don't know if he'll stick (lots of errors). Nonetheless, excellent plate discipline, good power.

Position player UnderDog! Darrick Hale

Pitcher Ty Cline. This would surprise me as much as anyone but heck, its sure a sleeper.

Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them. Parker would be my pick as the guy who pushes his way into a job someday quietly putting up good numbers under the radar while others around him get all the press.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 11-24-2008 at 12:06 PM.

I really like M2's pick of Byron Wiley. He strikes out a lot but he also walks at a good rate and has enormous power. I'd be curious to know how good of a center fielder he is. I also like Shooter's pick of Clayton Shunick.

Pitcher: Dallas Buck - I'm not sure if he qualifies as a sleeper or not but he does seem to be sliding under the radar on our community prospect list. Velocity is key for Buck. His slider and changeup are already above average pitches to go along with his sinking fastball. If he regains his low-90's fastball he's gotta chance to make it as a #2 starter IMO. If his fastball stays in the upper-80's he a back-end guy. I love his extreme groundball tendencies.

Hitter: Carter Morrison - We won't see Morrison debut until mid-June with either Billings or the GCL Reds, but I expect him to make some noise. He was a 16th round draft pick in June out of Canada. He's a big kid at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds and has plenty of tools. He dominated with a wood bat in the Dominican tournaments, IIRC he hit seven homers with a wood bat but fell because of signability concerns.

Hitter: Carter Morrison - We won't see Morrison debut until mid-June with either Billings or the GCL Reds, but I expect him to make some noise. He was a 16th round draft pick in June out of Canada. He's a big kid at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds and has plenty of tools. He dominated with a wood bat in the Dominican tournaments, IIRC he hit seven homers with a wood bat but fell because of signability concerns.
    That's an excellent sleeper. And a good reason why too.

Ooooh, OBM, Carter Morrison is a VERY good pick!

I love this thread - it becomes a who's who of guys to keep an eye on and like last winter it recalls guys who've seemingly disappeared or been forgotten for whatever reason.

Here is a link to last year's sleeper picks:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...sleeper&page=2

Quite a few (myself included) Redszoners picked Carlos Fisher last year. Bip Roberts picked Dickerson - that turned out to be a good pick. Mario-Rijo picked Robert Manuel and that turned out to be an outstanding pick. I didn't think he had a chance. bucksfan picked Daryl Thompson - another great pick. Perhaps the best pick was princeton's pick of Ramon Ramirez.

Resident PED Expert

Hitter - Zach Cozart - Really became a consistant hitter the last half of the season and has THE best glove in the Reds system.

Pitcher - Jordan Smith - Was injured after a few rough starts in AA but just seems to have "something" about him...

Position Player: Alex Buchholz
    Pitcher: Blaine Howell

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Here is a link to last year's sleeper picks:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...sleeper&page=2

Quite a few (myself included) Redszoners picked Carlos Fisher last year. Bip Roberts picked Dickerson - that turned out to be a good pick. Mario-Rijo picked Robert Manuel and that turned out to be an outstanding pick. I didn't think he had a chance. bucksfan picked Daryl Thompson - another great pick. Perhaps the best pick was princeton's pick of Ramon Ramirez.
    I was one-for-two. I picked Robert Manuel and Derrick Conatser.

This time around, I'll go with Dave Sappelt, but I'm really tempted to pick Jordan Wideman.

As for pitchers, my three top choices have already been taken (Shea Snowden, Dallas Buck, and Tyler Cline). In that case, I'll go with Randall Linebaugh. I'm also tempted to go with Josh Beal, who had a heck of a year in Billings.

hitter: wiley

pitcher: partch

Turn Off Ads?