Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

Re: TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

With the stick I'll take pitcher-turned-hitter - Anthony Gressick.
    On the bump keep an eye on - Blaine Howell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Gressick was released and no longer with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Position player UnderDog! Darrick Hale

Pitcher Ty Cline. This would surprise me as much as anyone but heck, its sure a sleeper.

Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them. Parker would be my pick as the guy who pushes his way into a job someday quietly putting up good numbers under the radar while others around him get all the press.
    I agree Parker isn't quite a sleeper but I don't believe many feel he is a legitimate starter type in the bigs, I think he can be a very solid all around 1st bagger.

But since he isn't a sleeper in the truest sense of the word let me throw this one out there, in fact I would say he qualifies as a serious super duper sleeper.

Sean Conner
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    I think Gressick was released and no longer with the Reds.
    Yeah, he was released.

But that was a good call on Blaine Howell, though. He had a good debut. I also think Andrew Means could surprise some people.

I also think Justin Reed could make some big strides next season. I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pitcher - Oscar Castro

I'm sticking with Denis Phipps as my sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pitcher - Oscar Castro
    Great pick.

Interesting topic. Not quite sure how you are defining sleeper but I am going to guess it would be a player not among the top 20 prospects entering 2009 who emerges as a prospect for 2010. It would be hard for me to think of Brandon Waring as a sleeper, but I guess he could fit. Same for Zack Cozart.

Interesting choice of Partch by lollipopcurve, because he has one of the best arms in the organization. You must have seen him pop one of those 95 mph fastballs in 2008 because you would never get much from his stats. I am not sure he has the makeup though to ever get out of A-ball.

Only among players I actually saw play in 2009, I would go with Daniel Perales, a guy the Reds saw as a future major leaguer in the mold of a Dave Martinez when they picked him up. He played hurt all year and his 2008 season was a train wreck but he had a great 2007 and should bounce back.

On the mound, I like Jeremy Horst but he got too much attention in '08 to be a sleeper. How about Matt Klinker? He throws hard enough, has good command and smarts. Deserves some consideration. I would take Klinker a thousand times before I would take a pitcher like Josh Ravin.

These are guys that have gotten virtually no attention. If you want to talk about guys who are not top level prospects but have gotten a little more pub, I would go with Zach Stewart. He is the guy that should be ranked higher than he is being ranked by most.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them.
    People have heard of Shunick, but I think the ugly ERA in Billings scared them off because nobody other than me put him in their personal top 40. (it looks like you think he's a top 40 guy too from your other thread). So I'd be surprised if he made the community top 40 list, and my rough definition of "sleeper" is a guy who misses that list.

I think he'll be like Jeremy Horst this year - doesn't gather too much hype, but you look back at the end of the year and think "man that guy had a great season".

Chris Heisey

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    People have heard of Shunick, but I think the ugly ERA in Billings scared them off because nobody other than me put him in their personal top 40. (it looks like you think he's a top 40 guy too from your other thread). So I'd be surprised if he made the community top 40 list, and my rough definition of "sleeper" is a guy who misses that list.

I think he'll be like Jeremy Horst this year - doesn't gather too much hype, but you look back at the end of the year and think "man that guy had a great season".
    I like Shunick a lot. ERA at Billings doesn;t really bother me - its an extreme hitters league, a short season where one bad start can foul an ERA up for good. I look for a live arm and does the guy goes after hitters. Shunick qualifies and his stuff is good enough to get the job done.

Chris Heisey
    for sure, but he's more a napper than a sleeper

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Pitcher - Homer Bailey
    Player - Drew Stubbs

I'm still waiting on both...

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    for sure, but he's more a napper than a sleeper
    He has gotten better every year he has played