Turn Off Ads?

Thread: cheap acquisitions

cheap acquisitions

It looks like the Reds aren't players for any big free agents.
    We have lots of needs ( SS, LF/3B, RH centerfielder, 2nd catcher, LH reliever, bench) and not much to trade.
    I have been thinking of who is out there that the Reds could get to fill some of these positions on the cheap.

Rocco Baldelli. everyone knows the story. great talent. lots of injuries. then last year he came down with a weird muscle fatigue condition. people thought his career was finished. then he came back and had some good numbers in a part time role. I read that the Red Sox were looking at him as a 4th outfielder. why not the Reds? what about Baldelli platooning in CF with Dickerson?

Russell Branyan. plays LF/1B/3B. lots of Ks. lots of power vs RHP.
    could play some 3B with Kep/Gonzo/Rosales if EE goes to LF.
    Or could be a nice LH hitter off the bench.

Anyone else think of some cheap options out there that would help the 2009 team?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: cheap acquisitions

Don't tease me about Russell Branyan.

He's an absolute butcher wherever he plays on the diamond, however. If people had problems with Dunn's brand of D in LF, they'd have fits over Branyan. And as for Branyan @ 3B, he'll make EE look like Brooks Robinson in comparison...

That being said, Branyan's a great guy that you platoon in LF, although I don't know who you get as the RHB part of that equation.

I honestly wish we had kept Branyan when he was a Red, instead of having to deal with Brandon Larson.

Re: cheap acquisitions

Baldelli is an interesting thought. Last I read, he's on medication which helps him.
    I still see him going to an AL team that he can part time DH though.
    I wouldn't mind signing him though if terms could be worked out. Wouldn't break the bank for him, but he'd be a nice acquision.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?