Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday 2008

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Black Friday 2008

What's the only thing better than falling asleep on Thanksgiving after eating too much food?

Waking up later on in the evening to go stand in line for hours to try and save on doorbuster specials!

Post your the deals you'll be trying to get here, then check back on Friday morning when you were #16 in line and missed that $499 HDTV by 1 spot.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Black Friday 2008

I'm waiting for the $10 ps3, but i don't think it's gonna happen, so I'll just stay home and eat leftovers.
    Witty signature.

I actually work at Wal-Mart during Black Friday. I do the early early early shift Friday, working 4:45 AM to 1:45 PM. Should be quite an experience, as I usually work the closing shift on Friday. My first holiday season there were fights over the merchandise.

The amount of time spent standing in line isn't worth the savings, IMO. I'd rather just order online and pay the extra, but that's just me. If it's electronics, it's going to keep getting cheaper and be available at that price a few weeks later, anyway.

I usually go to the Sears sales.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Best Buy usually has South Park seasons for cheap, so I'll probably complete my collection. Other than that, the two video games I want the most don't come out until late January...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The girlfriend was plotting her strategy and planning for it last night. I pretended I was interested.

I'll do anything if I think it's foreplay.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm going shopping in Florence with a few friends of mine but we avoid the craziness of the early morning sales and go out around 11 AM and spend the afternoon shopping without the insanity. It's actually a lot more fun to just be out during a normal time than to do the early morning thing. I did that several years ago and it screws up your whole day to be up so early. I was totally crashed by 11 AM and it messed up my whole day. I'd rather wake up at a normal hour and shop throughout the rest of the day and actually enjoy that day off work.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I wouldn't mind finding a laptop to use in starting up my own law practice, but I otherwise have no intention of shopping on Black Friday.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Well, I won't be there at the start of the insanity - but I'll try to make some early bird specials... probably start at JC Penney's because I'm looking for a good long wool coat, then a grab bag gift for work. After that I'll just browse.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

My wife tried last night to get me to go out into the "mouth of madness" today.

Yeah right!

I'd just as soon rather be parachuted into a terrorist camp in the remote mountains of Pakistan in my skivvies and with a Salmon Ruskie mask on. The odds of survival are still in my favor then facing off with those lunatic woman with a shopping cart crashing through the doors of a Walmart or Target.

The kids gave me their Christmas lists last month. I spent several hours, over the course of a couple days, doing all my shopping ON LINE. Free shipping right to the front door.

It's the only way to go.

The wife and daughter are going out today. Me and the boys are staying home, gonna watch Hancock and order in pizza.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-28-2008 at 05:28 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My dad and I might head down to the Moeller Card show this afternoon but other than that I never go out on Black Friday. My sister and mom got up around 8 AM to head out but no thanks from this guy. Give it a couple more years and I might start going out if they keep hiking all these sales up another hour. Once it gets to 2 AM I'd be in for just staying up Thursday night.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wouldn't mind finding a laptop to use in starting up my own law practice, but I otherwise have no intention of shopping on Black Friday.
    Tigerdirect.com has way better computer deals than you'll find in stores today.

There are football games on this afternoon that I have no rooting interest in.

Plus, I get to go through Christmas lights and make sure bulbs work.

And then, there's my sock drawer.

Beats shopping.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?