Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So who will be the breakout minor leaguer in 2008?

So who will be the breakout minor leaguer in 2008?

This is actually a different topic than the sleeper thread. You are limited to the Redszone top 20 prospects. And you get only 1 pick.

Which of the top 20 will take their game to the ridiculous level? Last year you could make the argument that several players did, Votto and Cueto, with Bruce just behind them at the major league level, Frazier and to a lesser extent Francisco in the minor leagues. None but Votto had any prior major league experience.

I'm going with Neftali Soto. As much as 2007 was a breakout year for him I can see him rocket to AAA this year ala Jay Bruce in 2007. I think Soto's 2008 int the MWL was as good as Bruce's time there. I think we may be seeing the best we will get from Alonzo and Frazier, which is very, very good. I think this is the year Soto gets national attention.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So who will be the breakout minor leaguer in 2008?

I'd say Dickerson but since he's a big leaguer already and has ridiculous September numbers to fail to replicate, I won't nominate him. I do think he makes the leap to solid center fielder, answering a lot of doubters.

Soto is a good pick, although I don't see him in AAA at 20 unless its late in the year.

My pick is Drew Stubbs.

2008 is almost over.

My breakout pick for 2009 was going to be Soto but since you already took him, I'll go with Juan Francisco. I think his walk rate will climb enough in Carolina for him to put up a terrific line.

Do'H

Can a mod change the title to 2009 please?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Do'H

Can a mod change the title to 2009 please?
    Go to the main page of the minor league forum, scroll down to this topic and double click beside the title of this thread and it should allow you to edit the title.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-25-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Everyday player: Chris Heisey

Pitcher: Jeremy Horst

(I know, that's two picks. And neither is in the top 20 . . . I just think they're both really good and ready to rise.)
    Last edited by mace; 11-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Everyday player: Chris Heisey

Pitcher: Jeremy Horst

(I know, that's two picks. And neither is in the top 20 . . . I just think they're both really good and ready to rise.)
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Go to the main page of the minor league forum, scroll down to this topic and right click beside the title of this thread and it should allow you to edit the title.
    Don't see anything to click.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am going to go ahead and just say Juan Francisco is going to slug .600 in AA next year. Short fence out in RF is going to lead to his monster power going crazy. Which in turn is going to lead to guys pitching him more carefully, which will lead to more walks.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Don't see anything to click.
    Sorry, I meant double click instead of right click. Just double click on the open space beside the title and it should pop up and allow you to edit.

My 2009 breakout player is Neftali Soto. Yeah, 2008 was a breakout season for him but I expect more big things from him in 2009. I think he begins to show some improvements in the walking category while turning some of those doubles into homers (though the FSL may sap some of those HR). I think he ends the 2009 season in Double-A Carolina and establishes himself as a top 30 prospect in all of baseball.

My other candidate was Juan Francisco. I also think we'll see some kids like Juan Carlos Sulbaran and Dallas Buck establish themselves as big time pitching prospects.

Guys like Arias, Duran, and Yorman crossed my mind but they are still raw and will be working on things.

Sulbaran

I'll go with Lotzkar. Ramirez is probably at or near his ceiling. Thompson has already made his leap. Lotzkar certainly was on Reds fans' radar in 2008, but I think he jumps to the national radar in 09.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

wrong thread
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 11-25-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Oops

I say Lotzkar too. I think he'll get to AA in a Homer like fashion in '09.

Turn Off Ads?