Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds and White Sox discussing Dye

Re: Reds and White Sox discussing Dye

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I thought the White Sox' field was a launching pad as well.
    It's fairly neutral. It sure as heck ain't GAB, vis homers.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's Pat Burrell's splits over the last three seasons.

vsLHP 421/550
    vsRHP 369/485

He gets on base alot more then Dye, but Dye hits for more power.

Price wise, Burrell might cost a little bit more, but won't cost anything for talent, which can then be used for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    What about Raisor's idea of Pat Burrell? He'd only cost $$. Dye will cost $$ and prospects. Granted, Burrell will probably cost more in terms of money and possibly years.
    I'd have no problem with Burrell, but as you say, I have no desire to watch Burrell hobble around in GAB's outfield at age 38.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

What about Raisor's idea of Pat Burrell? He'd only cost $$. Dye will cost $$ and prospects. Granted, Burrell will probably cost more in terms of money and possibly years.
    I hate it when you and I are on the same wavelength, it makes me feel....dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd have no problem with Burrell, but as you say, I have no desire to watch Burrell hobble around in GAB's outfield at age 38.
    That would mean a 6 or 7 year contract for Pat. No way I'd give him that many years.

Nah. It would probably take three to five years to sign Burrell whereas Dye is locked up for two years at the most. Plus, Burrell is a worse defender and has been incredibly streaky the last two seasons.

Burrell costs more and as you state for a longer term. Dye is a better all around hitter, imo, at least for the moment, although Pat is undoubtedly the more powerful of the two. I prefer Dye simply because he can be transitioned out sooner as young players come up. If the Reds sign Burrell instead of simply going back to Adam I'll be soooooo ticked.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I hate it when you and I are on the same wavelength, it makes me feel....dirty.
    Personally, I like feeling dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Nah. It would probably take three to five years to sign Burrell whereas Dye is locked up for two years at the most. Plus, Burrell is a worse defender and has been incredibly streaky the last two seasons.
    Which brings us back to Dunn

That would mean a 6 or 7 year contract for Pat. No way I'd give him that many years.
    Someone will give him 5. Still, the decline ain't that far away for Mr. Burrell; if it's 37 or 38, it's still too long.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Let's say the choice is 3 years of Burrell or 2 years of Dye then. You don't have to give up any talent to acquire Burrell, just cash. I wouldn't call it a slam dunk choice to go with Dye.

Someone will give him 5. Still, the decline ain't that far away for Mr. Burrell; if it's 37 or 38, it's still too long.
    If you have to go 5 to get Pat, then pass. Just out of curiosity, would you give Dunn 5 years?

Let's say the choice is 3 years of Burrell or 2 years of Dye then. You don't have to give up any talent to acquire Burrell, just cash. I wouldn't call it a slam dunk choice to go with Dye.
    Burrell just won a ring; someone will give him 5 years. Someone will give Dunn 5 years. I'd rather have the younger and better Dunn.

Burrell just won a ring; someone will give him 5 years. Someone will give Dunn 5 years. I'd rather have the younger and better Dunn.
    That answers my previous post. I agree with you.

What kind of OPS are we looking for vs LHP? It'll help narrow down our targets.

Turn Off Ads?